PlayTime Minis 2015 Foals

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have news to share and I wrote to Diane before posting to make sure it's okay. I don't want to scare any newbies. Sometimes foaling goes well and sometimes nature has other ideas and plans in store. Long story short, baby Flurry is blind.

I'd been worried about Paradigm going so long before foaling and just call it a gut instinct but I knew something was wrong. When I saw Flurry, I was so overjoyed because there she was alive and breathing and beautiful. Later that day, I noticed her eyes were still teary but I went back and looked at photos of my other foals when they were born and I wasn't concerned because newborn foals do have rather wet eyes.

Day 2, I went to turn out Flurry and Mom and I noticed Flurry didn't really move around much but stuck to the same spot. Her eyes were watery as well but I thought perhaps it was because her long eyelashes were bothering her. Needless to say eyes are something you don't mess around with so I called the vet. And I had thoughts her vision might be limited because she was tearing but that was as far as my suspicions went.

The vet examined her and she is totally blind. Basically a congenital condition that probably will never, ever happen again if I were to breed Paradigm. Just a fluke of nature.

The vet says she has a good prognosis and that blind horses can and do live fulfilling lives. She will need a structured environment where she feels secure and knows her way around and I'm going to put bells on Paradigm so Flurry can find her easily. She's having no trouble finding her in the stall to nurse and her weight is healthy and she's thriving in every other way. Because she's been blind since birth this will be her "normal" and hopefully she'll adjust easily to her world.

I'm already reading all I can find on blind horses and I'm going to make sure Flurry has a happy productive life.

This isn't meant to scare any newbies to foaling. I had 4 healthy, happy foals born last year. Sometimes things do happen though and I hope by sharing my experience it will help others.

So sorry about Flurry. We have a older mare that is blind in one eye and going blind in her other. We paired her with another mare that is never mean to her. Was also told to put a bell on the other horse.

Oh no! I hate to hear this. Like you said though, this is her norm, so she will be okay adjusting to her surroundings. Never the less, she is still a beauty! I am so glad that she has you!

Thank you all for the support and encouragement. I really appreciate it.

That just makes me just love Flurry even more! Your a great horse mom!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
I would not see blindness nesasarilly as a negative. She will have all of her other senses heightened. And will probably be able to out wit all of her foaly friends
default_smile.png
. She really is in the best place. You are quick to ask a question and find answers. She will be safe and loved with you.

Also if you wear a bell with a different tone, she will probably be able tell you from mom.
default_smile.png

Rebecca, you are so right. She will have eagle ears and a nose like a blood hound. She will know her surroundings by feel better than the others. Little Flurry is just going to shine!

Thank you so much for your support. Means a lot to me and to Flurry.

I think that's a really neat idea.... to wear a bell with a different tone. She'll find you easily when you enter the pasture! I had a blind mare here who did very well, and was a great momma. She was very strict with her babies, and I gave her extra barn time bonding with her babies before I put her back out with the other mares. She had those babies so well trained that just one nicker would have her baby running right back to her no matter where they were.

I'm so happy that she has you in her life, as never will a horse be more loved and cared for. You'll be learning and enjoying her uniqueness for many years to come. She is ONE LUCKY GIRL!!!

Last edited:
So sorry to her that about Flurry but it sounds like she has one fantastic human mother! My Dad has two blind horses(full size) and it amazes me how well they do. Seems like the key is to keep them in familiar surroundings. Since she was born blind she will know nothing else and do quiet well. John Lyons used to and may still ride a blind horse. Her future is as bright as anyone wants it to be. Best of luck!

So sorry to hear about Flurry Sara, she is very lucky to have someone as caring as you to look after her now and in the future.
default_yes.gif
I'm sure she will be fine with her Momma close by to watch over her and maybe in the future she will buddy up with another mini that you will be keeping. As has been says, she doesn't know any difference and her other senses will heighten to help her in the future. Good luck and please keep us updated with her progress - she's such a gorgeous little girl.

Thank you everyone for your comments. I've been so busy taking care of Flurry and the rest of the horses I haven't had time to catch up with the board. Rose is at day 320 tomorrow and looking huge with her big belly so I'll try to do photos tomorrow. Flurry is thriving and doing very well. She's a special filly for sure. Thanks again for all your help. I appreciate it.

Back to the hoo haw photos. What do you think? She looks ready to go but she needs more of a bag???

2015march16thgirls 002.JPG

2015march16thgirls 003.JPG

No, not Rose. I was finally able to buy a mare (blue roan tobiano) that I've wanted for a few years and she's in foal to RFM's Thunder Inki. She was pasture bred and I was noticing today she's looking close. Anyway, I already own one of her foals, a tiny appy, who is now 2 years old. But to say I'm nervous about more babies would be a huge understatement. Anyway, here's a picture of the most awesome RFM's Blue Cindy who now makes her home with me and another is the picture of her filly I own.

bluecindy.jpg

blackappy (1).jpg

r

Latest posts

Back