Penny's foaling thread.....SHE IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She is! If I yell 'Penny! Come on, bring your big possibly very pregnant belly up here so you can get your grain!' she runs up. But If I yell for her, Mousie, and Snowball she will walk and or trot up. When I first got her I could rub her belly from sun up to sun down and poke at it, now, some days I can, and some days she wont let me or will get kinda mad at me if I brush her belly or put my hand on their for longer than 5 seconds.
default_frusty.gif

Here's just a couple of my "beachballs" with legs pictures -- or as some call them the beached whales! Each of these girls carried another month from the dates of these pictures!

100_1276.jpg Belle 4-22-09 1.jpg

Holy S*!T!!! They are huge!!!!!!!!!! My little miss penny isnt that huge! But I think she is getting close! She sticks out on the sides about 4-6"! And when I first got her she stuck out about 2-3". I wish I had more info on her! I havent been able to get ahold of her for a couple weeks, so I will be trying again today. I am hoping she is 9 months. I wish I could put my hand down their and get kicked! Does anyone else have pictures of 7 to 9 month pregnant minis? That are on the taller side?

We've had some taller mares here -- you might check some of the threads while you're waiting for others to post.

That's what I have been doing! And thanks for the pics Diane! I was looking at one of the threads, the one with dancer and toffee. And at 7 months she looked just like penny, granted she was a maiden but a carbon copy from what I could tell! I was looking at penny 2 days ago and noticed that her backbone was still just a little bit sticking up. Which means she still needs to gain some weight still. And i was reading on one of these forums that they can have very different pregnancies because of the sex of the foal. With the other lady she had 2 colts. Never had a filly. Ugh, now it just sounds like I am blowing smoke! I think that I am going to be one of those ladies! Would anyone like to see a picture if the stud?

Well I couldn't wait to show you. Sorry it's not the best picture. She kept them locked up at the barn during winter so that she wouldn't have to tromp through 3-4 feet of snow to get them up there.

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Whats the ring test?? And he is a sweetie. I was actually thinking about buying him. But the only problem is that I have snowball and I wouldn't want him to get bullied. And my grandpa would freak out. But this guy is trained really well! He knows never to have his butt pointed at you still listens to you even when there is a mare in full blown heat 10' ahead of him. Just a great little dude!

And yes the one on the right
default_smile.png
the other is a jack donkey. They are the best of friends! And that's how he looks in person too! Very weird coloring I must agree maybe a flaxen liver chestnut?

Ok Aunties, I come with gifts of pictures! She is almost 100% shed out so she is much easier to get just belly and not extra fluff! She looked very different today. Here is what I noticed.... She didnt look as wide from the front. She looks WAY wider from the top than she did. Her top part of her but was feeling like it has some jiggle to it. Before it was firm. And her hoohaw was looking a little relaxed. She was kinda grumpy with me touching her belly. Possibly felt a kick but she moved before I could confirm. And well you are just going to have to see her butt pics to understand the last thing. But her belly from the back looked even. She walked out into the pasture more and I look and she look WAY lopsided. Looked away to scratch Snowball and looked back to see it not look so lopsided. Look over again and its even more losided!?

P1.jpg

P2.jpg

P3.jpg

P4.jpg

P5.jpg

P6.jpg

P7.jpg

P8.jpg

P9.jpg

P10.jpg

Very pretty horses...I think she has a way to go...the first pic does show a lopsided belly..shes so cute..but I don't think you have to worry about her dropping her gift to you tonight. The 8th pic shows a bit of a tummy but its alittle hard to tell w/these pictures. It must be hard for you not knowing when she was bred but you are doing a great job planning and gathering all the info you can before the big day. Snowball has a very kind looking face..adorable!

Thanks!! That's what I was thinking. That's what I was thinking too. Do you think that she is 9 months along? It's so hard not knowing, and non of the vets around here will do ultrasounds on her, at least that I know of. I am trying my best to get everything in order for her. I need to make her a stall in my barn. But before I can do that I have to put cement in than get everything else ready. And I still have to buy my stuff for her foaling kit. So not looking forward to buying the arm length gloves and lube, I can guerantee I will get some wierd looks!

I am not an expert, like you Im learning, but in these pics I do not see 9 mos.but as the experts will /can tell you..some mares keep these things a secret right till the last month, week even days. Have you been able to purchase test strips yet..though it doesn't look like she has any milk anyway...silly me! I don't think you need to worry about arm length gloves...personally..with out knowing what your actually thinking you are going to feel in there...I would leave that to the vets. You could do a lot more damage and bringing any cooty type things from the outside into your mare could also be dangerous IMO. I't will be good to learn what the more experienced have to say so I can learn right along with you!

The only reason the gloves would be needed is to pull a baby 0.o trust me! I don't want my hand in there unless there is no other way around it!! I know, and some days she looks huge, and others she looks like this.... Why can't she just tell me!!!? I have seen if I could get milk, and I did. It was a clearish yellow color. What test strips should I get?

We love seeing the lop-sided mares -- tells us everything is moving ahead just fine! She's got a ways to go -- even if she's 8-9 months, she'll go another 2-3 months before delivering, so we get to just enjoy watching her and her precious friends!

The ring test tells you if the foal is a filly or a colt.

Pull out a hair from her tail and tie a gold ring or a metal nail and hold it still above her back (towards her back end.) If it goes in circles it is a filly, if it goes backwards and forwards it is a colt

I hope she is 9 months pregnant. But I guess time will tell! Oh cool! I will have to try that when I go over and see her!!

Latest posts

Back