Penny's foaling thread.....SHE IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I know what you meant about the lopsidedness. I found if Sweety was standing square but she had her neck stretched to one side, the opposite side of her belly would stick out lol.

Always love seeing your walking beachballs Diane!

Oh man I bet that made you just about crazy excited! And then when you figured out what was happening you had this type of face -_- Lol! I am so tempted for when I have my vet come out and do a ultrasound on Mousie to do one on her too.....
default_giveup.gif
default_whistling.gif
default_unsure.png

I know what you meant about the lopsidedness. I found if Sweety was standing square but she had her neck stretched to one side, the opposite side of her belly would stick out lol.

Always love seeing your walking beachballs Diane!
Thanks! Some of them can surely get W-I-D-E !!

So how long did those ladies hold onto those babies Diane? About 2 years or so? Because they are huge!! My Moose and my tiny sized horses where very happy when I made them a twine fence. They had to keep their lead ropes on so I didnt have to chase them around. They loved being out and eating all of that tall grass! When I put them back in the fence and after they left me Penny and Snowball were very worn out! They had to go and lay down and take a nap because it was very tiring I guess!

Not quite 2 years -- LOL. But the mare on the left always delivered at day 365 like clockwork. So, she went a few days shy of another month from the picture. The other mare carried another month from the picture too -- and usually foaled around day 335-340.

Last edited:
LOL! Thats cool! Well that makes life much easier when you know when they are most likely to deliver! So I went and seen my 'clan of misfits' today. Penny was aggravated today. I dont know if this was because of all of the flys and other bugs, or because her hormones where making her crazy. Also found out that she does NOT like being sprayed with fly spray. She looked HUGE from the top today. And I might have seen/ felt a kick but she pulls away from me before I can get a good feel. Wow now I sound kinda creepy..... 0.o

Hello Aunties!! So I have some news. Just bear with me here. About 2 weeks ago was the last boobie pic. Today I took a couple more pics. And look at the boobie size difference!

PL.jpg

PB2.jpg

PB3.jpg

PB4.jpg

PL2.jpg

PL3.jpg

PL4.jpg

PL5.jpg

Moosie 2.jpg

Hi Kate

You wanted to see some larger "walking beach balls"??

Here is Stuffy. She is 37" at the withers and this is her 4th foal. She was originally washed up and turned out with our stallion on 25 February and was showing season "lightly" but not happy with his attentions. He did not cover her the first day, but the end of the 2nd day - her vulva showed that she'd been covered at least once. To keep him company and because I both wanted her bred and didn't want to switch her pasture, she remained with him. He continued to show interest in her, but I never saw him actually cover her until 2 months later. However, then saw her in season again in May and saw a "good" cover (I know that he not only mounted her but actually serviced her)... She stayed in the pasture with him for the rest of the year. But I now have a couple of different dates for her covers (LOL). So, when I came to the "nutty nursery" - I didn't put a day count on her pics because I simply wasn't sure when she was due and was just following her via pics. This one is taken in March 28th. Then the 2nd on April 9th. I had taken some more of her on April 15th - but can't find them. She foaled on April 17th (so probably conceived in May - when I saw a "good cover"). Her previous two foals were carried right about 342 days (have to go back and look at dates - they are on a hard drive that's not here right now...).

13apr2stu83.jpg

13apr9stu100.jpg

Stuffy's pics and Rio.

A much larger Shetland mare - Koalah. She's 43" at the withers, but has a high wither and a dropped back. This year is her 7th foal and when she foaled the 3rd filly in a row for us by our stallion, Iggy, I was thrilled! She foaled on 13 March 2012 and was not bred on her foal heat. Iggy was turned out with a small group of mares for 2 weeks - figured if he settled mares, we'd have foals, if not, we wouldn't. They'd all either foaled or were open but in heat... I noted that Koalah was covered on the last day he was in the pasture with them - May 9th. These two pics were taken on March 28th and she delivered a filly on April 2nd.

13mar28koa976.jpg

13mar28koa981.jpg

Koalah's pics and Bunny's pics.

And our other mare, Tory, that foaled in April. She was bred when I purchased her and produced a colt in 2011. I didn't rebreed her for 2012, but bred her in 2012 to our other stallion (which turned out to be his last foal). She had one cover. She is barely 40" at the withers. Here she is the day before she foaled -

13apr9to096.jpg

13apr9to117.jpg

She produced a colt on late night on April 10th that is a small copy of his sire. A nice way to remember our boy by... He was our first Shetland and our first (my personal first) stallion...

Tory's pics and Echo's pics.

I have one other mare that will foal this fall. This one is an "oops" baby - kind of. She's a young maiden mare and went thru 3 fence lines, 2 of which were HOT, to get to Iggy. After 3 days in a row of returning her to the correct pasture, I gave up. I was getting ready to go out of town, so I just left her in the pasture with Iggy - making it easier for the person who was taking care of our ponies. I will start doing her pics in July, I suppose. I have a couple from April. Both she and our stallion are homozygous for both black and tobiano, so this foal will also be homozygous for tobiano and black based. Since Cherry carries on bay gene and Iggy carries one silver gene - could also be bay, silver black or silver bay. I would LOVE a filly, but will settle for healthy baby! She's had our granddaughters sitting on her bareback and has been ground driven in work harness. She's larger at 44" at the withers.

Your little girl is cute! Do or will you in the future be driving her? I've enjoyed reading your thread.

When Is the vet coming to ultrasound or palpate your horse mare, Mousie? Did the stallion owner give you a list of her cover/breeding dates? Did you get some pictures of him? Do you ride her? Lots of questions to keep you occupied as your girl prepares to foal!

OK, I edited it to add some questions about the OPs mare and lost stuff, so I've redone it and will repost it. Hope it works??!!

Last edited by a moderator:
You think she looks bigger too?? Yay!! It's not just me! Her hoohaw was kinda elongated but when I brought tail up a little more to get a pic but when I did it tightened it up...So are we lookin at 9 months here? She has been getting bigger and bigger it seems!

I just noticed that Koalah's foal has the same bday as me! March 13th!

Last edited by a moderator:
Those are some big girls you have there!!! I would love to see pics of your other girl that is due this fall! This would be her 3rd or 4th foal. I haven't been able to schedule a date for her ultrasound.

Here is a picture of Cherry with my hubby. and the link to her picture album. She is 5 yrs old this year.

13apr15ch293.jpg

Will your vet do an internal or external ultra sound on Mousie? Are you going to have one done on your little mare as well (I have to go look up her name...)? There were a couple of other ?s I had, but can't remember them now...

If your girl is 9 months pregnant she won't have an udder yet, they start to produce an udder 4-6 weeks before foaling so if she does continue to grow in her udder I would suggest a call to your vet as she could have an infection. Lets just keep an eye on her and see if it increases
default_thumbup.gif

Ok, here is the list of answers I have for you! And what is your name? I didn't see one
default_smile.png
and a question for you ladies! My driving pony is 35" and she is 43", is that too much of a size difference for a team?

Yes, I do plan on driving her, but I have to get her in shape and retrain her.

The stud got out and into her pen for one day in mid August of last year. She couldn't remember the for sure date but she said it was between the 10th and the 15th. So she would be 10 months this week. And if she was bred in march/April the date where March 15 and April 3 for sure.

I attached a pic of Benny. He is the mini looking at you!

I don't ride or let my little cousin ride her because she is not broke.

I still have to call and find out if my vet does the ultrasounds. But I have like 5 vets around my area so I am hoping someone does. I would have him do internal on Mousie for sure. I have been crazy busy the last 2 weeks with work and finishing the last week of school that I haven't been able to call him :/

If my vet does come out and does a ultrasound on Mousie I will have him do one on Penny as long as he feels comfortable doing it. What should I have him do on penny??

image.jpg

Hello ladies! So I was over too see my horses today, Penny was very, VERY crabby with Snowball today. He was trying to groom her and she would pin her ears back and bite him or try to! Then he must have been sick of it because he grabbed her halter and tried to pull her around! It was the funniest thing I have ever seen!!! I think her bag looks about the same. She still looked very round, to the point she was getting p***** off because she could barely reach her back leg to scratch it! Here are some pics
default_smile.png

PBB.jpg

Penn.jpg

Penn 2.jpg

Penn 3.jpg

My name is Paula. My forum name is paintponylvr, and our farm name is LP Painted Ponys.

AHH! I can't say how far along she is - the smaller minis "defeat" me as to what a lot of them look like when they foal. Some seem to be huge and some just really tiny... Since your mare had a foal before (is that someone else? now I confused again, have no idea how everyone keeps everyone straight!!!), I'd say she should be a lot larger before she foals, but I can be wrong.

According to my foaling calculator, if she was bred on August 10th, she's at 304 days of pregnancy. if bred/settled on 15 Aug - 299 days. LB has a foaling calculator on their info page as well.

Benny is CUTE - but understand - even in shadows he looks to be a silver bay(not a flaxen chestnut) and my main love is a silver colored pony!! Our silver black tobiano stallion has sired one silver bay tobiano out of our 1/2 arab bay mare (& 1 bay & 1 silver black - both tobianos). She's beautiful!! We have a chance with our next foal of getting a silver bay - already know that we will have homozygous for both black & tobiano (both parents color tested). Of course, I could be seeing Benny wrong - he could be a chestnut... Either way, he's still very cute. Like his build. More substantial - my fave.

As to driving - for me that's too large of a difference IF driving a wheeled vehicle with a tongue. It's really hard to get the harness adjustments so that you can balance the neck yoke and tongue properly. Also with that size difference - there will be very different adjustments to make in the traces when attaching the pair to the double tree - actually the single trees on either side of the tongue... If ground driving and working w/ farm equipment that has no tongue or wheels (a disk, a flexible tine harrow, a homemade pasture/manure drag, a stone boat, etc), they'd work fine. You'd just have to adjust the harness's properly for the two different sizes of horses and again allow for the differences in the trace/doubletree hook up. That said, I've come across many examples of hugely different sized equine being driven side by side or better - as a tandem or 4 and 6 up.... One hitch starts with minis, goes welshies, maybe arabXs, then drafts. It's an interesting hitch and I will need to see if I can find it again...

Practicing her ground driving now while she's pregnant would be great exercise for her. Then when she's "normal sized" again, you practice your ground driving with the foal alongside, and then hitch to your cart and enjoy your drive. My good driving ponies get driven with their foals. My not so good ponies will only get worked with the foal trotting loose, or the foal stays tied up or in a pen/paddock with the other ponies.

Mousie looks great! hard to know with these sneaky mares though lol.

I agree with Paula, I think the height difference is too great for a driving team but they sure are cute!

At first I thought I thought he was a flaxen, but I didn't realize that there was such a thing as silver bay. But when I was going through the color calculator I seem silver bay. I knew that is what Benny was when I looked it up. This will be the old owners first foal from him. This will be her first foal with me, and my first foal ever! I was thinking that ground driving would be a good way to help get her in shape. That's what I was thinking too about the height... How long does it usually take for gestation?? I was thinking it was like 320 days give or take. The old owner is so hard to get ahold of its not even funny!!

I always used the gestation calendar of 340 days. But according to a lot of the ladies here in the Nursery - anytime after 300 days is OK for some (minis). Seems a lot of mini mares will foal between 310 and 330. and then there are the ones that go a full year!!

When pasture breeding (and I do that too), it's hard to calculate dates. You can't if you don't know dates they were bred!

On the mares that I've tracked, I usually am pretty close to 340 days. I did have one mare that consistently dropped her foals on an average of 315 days with one born at 309 - and that was a small horse sized mare (13.3, bred to our 11.1 hh Shetland stallion). She had 5 foals for us by our stallion. I did note one thing - our mares that we tracked specifically - they stayed consistent with every foal after the first one with only a few days variance either way from the number of days carried the first time.

So, when dates aren't known - you just have to watch and wait!

Talk about sneaky mares......there was a mare several years back, who went to Nationals for driving, and made Grand Champion. The next morning there was a cute little baby standing in her stall! No one ever knew she was even pregnant!! Talk about having "show results" !!

So, ground driving should be very good exercise for her.

Latest posts

Back