Penny's foaling thread.....SHE IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Talk about sneaky mares......there was a mare several years back, who went to Nationals for driving, and made Grand Champion. The next morning there was a cute little baby standing in her stall! No one ever knew she was even pregnant!! Talk about having "show results" !!

So, ground driving should be very good exercise for her.
WOW!!

Well, we had one sorta like that... The mare was bred and both palpated and u/s as NOT pregnant. She was a TB bred paint and a maiden and never showed she was pregnant. Then suddenly one day there was a foal in the stall with her. She DID develop a "belly" after she foaled - very strange (once we increased her protein, it tightened right back up -so think it was because she was lacking protein). Couldn't tell you if she'd had an udder - don't think so but I don't remember ever really checking. I would have been 16 or so...

Ok, I was thinking in the right time frame than! I know, that's the only good thing about hand breeding is you know the dates! I wish the old owner would call/text me back! I have a few questions about penny! Oh wow! That's awesome! And she was probably harnessed everyday. She must have been in great shape for them not to have noticed! Penny is in much better shape than when I first got her. She had 2 foals at the old owners. So she would, or should have a idea of how long she carries. Good news! So the next time I go over and see her and have more than 5 mins I will try to ground drive her! Would lunging be a good way to get her in shape?

Lunging - yes and no. Hard lunging - just around and around and around - NO. Not good for her especially at speed.

But I use "circle driving" to go from leading to lounging to ground driving. It's a NH thing and works pretty well. Very different from the structured lounging we did when I was taking dressage lessons. And nothing like lounging "to make them tired"...

Go check out the various threads in Driving Miniature Horses. Quite a number talk about starting out in ground driving, plus just a great group of folks either learning to drive or guiding the learners thru driving!

Ok, that's kinda what I was thinking. I wouldn't make her go fast, just a walk. And I wouldn't do it for more than 5 mins each way. ^-^ I went and seen her today, she was in a much better mood!! When would she start getting a jello butt? And about when will her hoohaw start relaxing?

Hello all
default_smile.png
So I was over to see my pint size, quart size, and gallon size four footed friends. Penny was in a much better mood! Here are some pictures I had taken
default_smile.png

PBB 2.jpg

PBB 3.jpg

PBB 4.jpg

PBB 5.jpg

PBB 6.jpg

PBB 7.jpg

PBB 8.jpg

PBB 9.jpg

Hello all!! So penny is doing good, loving all of the fresh grass! I was kinda working with her to see if she knows anything about driving. I think she does but the bridle I have is too small for her, and the other one is WAY too big! Figures right? Has anyone tried equi-spot? I just got it, I am hoping it works because the flies and bugs are really bad this year! Does anyone have any recomendations for starting penny to drive?

I can't help with driving but I am sure the others can.

I gave up buying expensive fly sprays as none of them seemed to work for very long, I use water/vinegar and put it in a spray bottle. I also fed them garlic in the summer which helps a bit.

I used to give my dogs garlic for fleas. Worked, but OMG the farts!!!! How do you feed garlic to a horse??????

There is a thread about equi-spot on the main forum. I commented there, but I also bought some this weekend and I'm using it on the arabs and larger shetlands. I will use it for every two shetlands - not all of it on one. My larger shetlands are 44" tall and tape measure to just under 500 lbs. I've got a couple of smaller ones I know I can also do that with, but I've never been able to "split" the container and do 3 equine with it. Wish they'd make a smaller dose for little equine like they do for dogs and cats!

If the small bridle has a removable browband, you can add snaps to make the cheek pieces longer. If it's a driving bridle, this won't work as it will put the blinds in the wrong spot.

Otherwise you can make adjustments to the larger bridle.

OR you can attach the bit to her halter and start that way (either with twine/string pieces or with snaps).

Here are several threads in Driving Minis that you may be interested in:

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=133682&hl=

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=132910&hl=

http://www.miniaturehorsetalk.com/index.php?showtopic=132816&st=0

There are a lot more than this and many books and videos out there to help you get started... Check out the Driving Miniature Horses forum and introduce yourself. Would love to see you over there and you can post your driving or harness ? pics over there, too.

I used to give my dogs garlic for fleas. Worked, but OMG the farts!!!! How do you feed garlic to a horse??????
You can buy it dried but I buy the capsules for humans as they swallow them without smelling it. I just put one inside an apple slice
default_smile.png

I never thought about the capsules! That's a great idea!! Ohan that could be a bad fart! So I have the date for the ultrasound set, it's next Monday! He said for Mousie and Penny, plus the travel charge it would be about $120 and half is the travel charge! I so do hope penny is 10 months, not 3. Not just for me but for the babies sake too. I wouldn't want Mousie's kid to be playing with him and hurt him by accident.

Wow, just realised that instead of saying oh man it said ohan.... I will hopefully post pics tomorrow and will know how far along she is on Monday!

I hope so!! And if she is 10 months, watch out penny! You are going to be stalked!! Lol! Than I will get to know if Mousie is bred! Hopefully both are
default_smile.png

Hello ladies! Long time no talk! So who would like some news from the vet? He did the ultrasound on Penny and he said that she was for sure pregnant!! And 10 months along ;) he said the foal was wayyyyyy too big to be 3 months. So I will be having a little kid in about a month!

WOO HOO!!!! Brilliant news!! What about Mousie??

And I think we need some updated pics of BOTH of them - please.
default_yes.gif

WONDERFUL NEWS!!!! Just what we had hoped for. Now you have to do lots of pictures as we watch her do the home stretch!!

I will get you guys a few pictures tomorrow!!! Mousie I am afraid is not bred :'( but the vet said that she will be ovulating in 2 days. Going to look at a new stud for her tomorrow!! I didn't realise that the guy was a drunk until after I brought her there. Don't want to get her hurt so finding a new stud :-/ but the new one is much more handsome!! I'll attach a couple pics of him
default_smile.png
and I only have 1 pic of penny. Sorry! More tomorrow! And I had to show off my brand new saddle, 18" seat, almost brand new. And I got it, a brand new green halter for penny and 2 bit less bridles for Mousie all for the low price of $130!!!

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back