Penny's foaling thread.....SHE IS HERE!!!!!!!!!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok so here are some pictures I took a couple hours ago. Sorry for the quality! I forgot my camera! Here are some pictures. She had weaned her last foal almost 2 months ago. Let me know what you think!

image (1).jpeg

image (2).jpeg

image (3).jpeg

image (4).jpeg

image (5).jpeg

image (6).jpeg

It really isn't very easy to tell from the pictures. Her tummy will not look all that big yet if she was covered in August, but then neither should she have a largish udder yet either.

OK can I just refresh things - you got her approx 2-3 weeks ago, her last foal had been weaned a couple of months ago, she was covered once by a stud last August, she was covered by the same stud end March approx this year, she is not a maiden mare. Is that everything?

Right, now to add to my comments above in the first paragraph, can I also ask when she foaled last year - presuming July sometime? Whoever she is in foal to she is not going to foal before July,say, so we have time to get her sorted and watch for the signs that will 'answer' your question.
default_yes.gif

Firstly, with that udder still looking a bit filled, I doubt that it has been just over two months since her foal was weaned, it looks as though the foal has been drinking from her more recently than that or that udder would have shrunk more - also if foal was born in July, then it would have been approx 6 months old in January. She is going to need some help to get her back into a proper good condition - it looks as though this last foal has really pulled her down, which is exactly what would happen if it was left with her well past weaning time, through the winter months, without her having lots of extra food.

She looks a really sweet little mare and she is as lucky to have found you as you are to have found her. Have you wormed her since you had her and do you know if she is up to dates on all her shots? Then what are you feeding her -does she have access to pasture or is she in a dry lot?

Sorry for all the questions, but she is a nice looking little mare and we just want to help you get her back into a good condition before we start worrying about when she might be foaling - also if she is likely to foal in July, she will need that extra condition to help her growing foal.
default_yes.gif

Keep the pictures coming - we all love pictures - maybe some of your other horses too?

She would have been covered in early august from what the lady said. Stud was out with her all day. Her last foal was weaned about 2 months ago from what she said. And she has not been in a pen with her colt for a month and a half. That I know for sure! Approx the 7th of April she was covered. I think her last foal was born in may. June at the latest. Thats what I was thinking about her udders too. She was on a almost dry lot. All she had was her hay for bedding, and got fed some hay like once a day. yeah, she still needs alot of stuff to get her back into shape! She will be getting wormed in a couple days, last time I was in town I forgot
default_frusty.gif
And she will be getting her shots within 2 weeks.
default_smile.png
She has acess to open hay, and the grass is coming up finally! She gets a part of a scoop of oats every other day (about a cup in a half- 2 cups). Yepp! I am going to town tomorrow or the next day to get her grain and her wormer! And also I brought my big mare, Mousie over to be bred and about 10 minutes later she was getting busy with Levi!
default_firstprize.gif
default_thumbup.gif
Pictures are coming soon!!

Hmmm that is very interesting! But I'm going to let the other aunties say what they think about that... I'm very confused about this girl.

Me too! She gives me a headache just trying to figure it out! And today she looks just as possibly pregnant.
default_frusty.gif
default_frusty.gif
default_thud.gif

I join the ranks of confused folks! LOL!! If that is foal movement there then that could be 'correct' for an early July foaling, but I still would not have expected her to show an udder yet??

I think that for the moment you just need to do what you have planned for her, get that wormer and some suitable quality food - start her slowly and build up to approx 3lbs per day split between several feeds - and then we will assess the situation in another couple of weeks??

Great news about Mousie!!

Looks like she will be a "wait and watch" for a while yet, while you're building her up. Good feed and worming her will start her off on getting in good condition, and we can watch for changes and hopefully know something more. Pretty girl!

Thanks! She makes me crazy! I love her to bits but trust me she will just about drive you crazy! That's what I was thinking too. Time will tell I guess. I will worm her today too

Hey everyone! So I might have some news. On Thursday I was out messing with Snowball and Penny and I had to worm her so I tied her up and was brushing her. When I was done I stopped and was feeling up her belly, lol. And I might have felt a kick. I don't know how if it was a kick. But I swore I felt something!

Nope Penny lol. I sure hope snowball doesn't have a baby inside, because...well...snowball is my driving gelding! But yes penny I swore I felt something!!

Oh my, forgive me. I guess I'm confusing Snowball with Snowflake from another thread! Old minds.....LOL! Sorry!
default_blush.png

So, very exciting about Penny! How about some pictures of the pretty girl!!

Tell Snowball, I'm really sorry for the mistake.
default_whistling.gif
Hopefully, he'll forgive me. Just too many nights of watching ladies and waiting on little ones to arrive!

No worries! With his haircut right now he could pass for a girl! A very foxy one at that! Haha. Lol! Could be much worse! I can get you some pics of her tomorrow afternoon! I have to go over there and help my grandpa out a bale of hay in for the calf anyway!

So now if I can remember to bring my fancy (well close enough!) camera that I got for Christmas and get some pics that would really help!

I'm sure he will! I mean, you say treats and all is forgiven! What are all of the angles you want for pics? Side (kneeling or something to be level with her belly?) butt, front, and above? And of course some glamour shots! Haha and some of Snowball and Mousie! Don't let the name fool you: she is a moose!

We like a full side view -- right down at her level, one from the back looking down her sides, and an udder shot -- just to have a starting point!

And OF COURSE, the glamour shots!

She LOVES to do the 'butt almost pointed at you and head turned back to look at you' glamour shot! She thinks she is some hot stuff! I will also get some pictures of Snowball, and Mousie. Because I get to go over and see her in a few hours! Also will get some pics of the stud she is bred to :0 The stud (Levi) has AMAZING bloodlines! His dad is Big Two Guns!
default_thumbup.gif
default_xreiter.gif
default_xkngt.gif
And the guy who raised Levi (he beat him) offered George (studs owner) $15,000 to buy him or $5,000 to breed a mare to him. But he was not nice to his horses at all so that guy was SOL!

Ok, here are some photos I took today! Sorry, I forgot my camera yesterday and was WAY busy! But here they are!!

Penny 2.jpg

Penny 3.jpg

Penny 4.jpg

Penny 5.jpg

Penny 6.jpg

Penny 7.jpg

Penny 8.jpg

Penny back 2.jpg

Penny back.jpg

Penny belly 2.jpg

Latest posts

Back