How often are you checking?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dee214

Reaction score
Hello,
As of Tuesday we literally just found out our mare is bred. Big surprise! We had no idea when we purchased her in Sept 2022 that she was in foal. Neither did the seller. She was only in her previous home a short while. So best guess…she’s at the 10-11 month mark.
I will attach photos of her udder from Tuesday and today to compare.
Her tail is easy to lift and her bum is jello. Mind you I never checked these things prior as I never imagined she was pregnant.
She is typically a very easy to handle mare with great ground manners, but as of Wednesday she is very uneasy of me touching her belly and even getting udder photos are very hard. She’s fine with being haltering and having her head and neck scratched like normal, but don’t touch her belly.
Her vulva is still wrinkly, could be slightly loose possibly.
No waxing and I can’t express any milk to ph test. Like I said she is difficult for me to even take a photo of her udder.
My question would be, with the signs she has how often should I be checking her in the night? I’ve been doing every 3 hours, but I’m worried something could go wrong with her. IMG_4001.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_3856.jpeg
    IMG_3856.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 0
  • IMG_3844.jpeg
    IMG_3844.jpeg
    6.7 MB · Views: 0
How often I check depends on if I think she is likely to foal that night. You have to figure a balance that works right for you, or get a camera or a foaling alarm. I check before bed and maybe once in the middle of the night until they look close to me. I'm not expecting to see her go into labor, I'm looking for a rapid change to being ready. The closer she looks the more I'm out there, until I'm on 15 minute checks.

How often I check depends on if I think she is likely to foal that night. You have to figure a balance that works right for you, or get a camera or a foaling alarm. I check before bed and maybe once in the middle of the night until they look close to me. I'm not expecting to see her go into labor, I'm looking for a rapid change to being ready. The closer she looks the more I'm out there, until I'm on 15 minute checks.
I have set up a wifi camera.
I just wasn’t sure with the signs she has now how often I should be checking.

I have a mare with a similar udder. At this point I am checking first thing in the morning, at lunch, at dinner, about 9/9:30, and 12/12:30. Looking for any big changes or anything that might indicate she might try to pull a fast one. I’m addition, I live stream my camera with Marewatchers so have people all around the world watching overnight. Maybe I over do it. But I’d rather over do it than under do it lol.

I have a mare with a similar udder. At this point I am checking first thing in the morning, at lunch, at dinner, about 9/9:30, and 12/12:30. Looking for any big changes or anything that might indicate she might try to pull a fast one. I’m addition, I live stream my camera with Marewatchers so have people all around the world watching overnight. Maybe I over do it. But I’d rather over do it than under do it lol.
I’ll have to check marewatchers. I don’t think I can livestream with my camera, but sounds fun.
Thank you

Back