My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope not up yet - I will just be checking her constantly, ugh. Oh well. I just went out to her a moment ago. I am not allowed anywhere near her! But I noticed something I hadn’t seen before. Not sure if it means anything or not. At the top of her tail/on her croup she almost has a dent. I tried to get a picture of it but of course pictures never really seem to show what I’m seeing! I’m currently looking back at older pictures because I’m sure that wasn’t there before, but naturally I’m second guessing myself, even as far as the little voice in my head telling me “she’s not even in foal, she’s probably in heat”
Bahahaha oh I’m a full blown loony right now, updates on every single little thing I see, you must think I’m a crazy lady!!

Edited to add: that dip above her tail is definitely new - in everything I have of her previously she was a smooth, round, Big Booty Judy.
I was looking back and wondering. It looks like a lot of mine do when they are a little chubby. If it just appeared today then maybe baby?????? I would think any changes in her back end would be at this point but it's a weird one to me, maybe the pros know?

I thought it was very strange too. I could have sworn it was new and looking back at older pictures, and texting my husband lol it’s definitely new today. She was completely smooth there before today. Recently I have been thinking she looks thinner in her hind quarters, like she used to have a big round booty and now it sort of slopes downwards towards the tail, not majorly, but noticeable to someone who looks at her all the time if that makes sense.

That completely makes sense. Tilly did that a couple of days before she foaled. That doesn't mean panic, they are all different. That 'dimple' still looks odd to me but they all do it their own way so go with it, lol. Good luck getting some sleep tonight. She could still be a while but I'm a worrier, could you please post an 'all's fine' after you check her in the morning?

Pitter Patter, is everything OK there? Haven't heard from you in a while.

Nope, nothing. I asked Cindy if we could come see Squirt again and she said she'd have to talk to her hubby and go from their as they are trying to get their old house on the market soon.
Grrrr!!!! I feel for you. It would be incredibly frustrating to me to have to wait like this and not even be able to go over and play with her regularly. Any luck looking for a friend for her?

Absolutely I’ll let you know what happens. I don’t think she’s going to foal any time soon, but then what do I really know! I’ll just keep an eye on her and go from there. Won’t it be a turn up for the books if she’s not actually in foal and I’m just this crazy lady staring at her butt 😅

You might be a crazy lady like the rest of us but I think she is pregnant. No, I don't think she's imminent but really what do I know either 😂

I am a fairly new member from the UK and I would like to thank you all for your postings. I am learning so much about mares in foal and what to look for, my little girl is getting closer and it would seem that I am soon to join the sleepless night brigade. Not much development in her udder but certainly her tummy is changing.A00586C9-FF57-4BED-B4B8-4EA747A64155.jpeg

Attachments

• 4C890708-FB77-4217-8D29-39456BF49727.jpeg
    4C890708-FB77-4217-8D29-39456BF49727.jpeg
    200.4 KB · Views: 2
I am a fairly new member from the UK and I would like to thank you all for your postings. I am learning so much about mares in foal and what to look for, my little girl is getting closer and it would seem that I am soon to join the sleepless night brigade. Not much development in her udder but certainly her tummy is changing.View attachment 41980
Welcome to the loony bin, it's all worth it 😊. Do you know when she's due? She definitely looks like she's getting there. Do you have a camera on her at night? It's SO much easier than getting up to check.

I am a fairly new member from the UK and I would like to thank you all for your postings. I am learning so much about mares in foal and what to look for, my little girl is getting closer and it would seem that I am soon to join the sleepless night brigade. Not much development in her udder but certainly her tummy is changing.View attachment 41980
Hi Sandra! I’m also from the UK originally, welcome! Your girl has more in the udder department than mine does lol has she had foals before?
Taz, all is well! Had a mini heart attack last night when I went to check Rosie around 1 am and she was lying down in her stall with the 3 mares all looking down on her. But nothing happened, she lay there for a bit and got up. Not much change this morning, although she didn’t want to go out - she walked out of the barn a bit, then turned around and went back in.

Attachments

• 30E7900F-09DE-4568-B4CC-5B9840BB304A.jpeg
    30E7900F-09DE-4568-B4CC-5B9840BB304A.jpeg
    320 KB · Views: 12
Oh, she's definitely sinking in her quarters. I'm really glad you're checking on her, she might foal sooner than later with the behavioral changes and that back end. Or she could keep going for another 4 weeks 🤷‍♀️. I'm the overprotective type as I'm sure everyone can tell. Please keep me posted.

Oh, she's definitely sinking in her quarters. I'm really glad you're checking on her, she might foal sooner than later with the behavioral changes and that back end. Or she could keep going for another 4 weeks 🤷‍♀️. I'm the overprotective type as I'm sure everyone can tell. Please keep me posted.
Oh yes I’ll definitely keep checking on her. I’m no stranger to sleepless nights as my husband often works away. And absolutely I will keep updating!

Hi Taz - unfortunately I do not know when she is due. I got her in March and the previous owner said she was running with the stallion between July - November, so it could be anytime, but I definitely think she is getting closer. I don’t have a camera on her yet but something I will look into.

Hi Jodie - yes she has foaled before so that might be why she has some development in the udder area. I have just checked her now and I can see a slight change but they are not filling yet. This is my first foaling experience, so I just want her and the foal to come through it ok.

Hi Taz - unfortunately I do not know when she is due. I got her in March and the previous owner said she was running with the stallion between July - November, so it could be anytime, but I definitely think she is getting closer. I don’t have a camera on her yet but something I will look into.

Hi Jodie - yes she has foaled before so that might be why she has some development in the udder area. I have just checked her now and I can see a slight change but they are not filling yet. This is my first foaling experience, so I just want her and the foal to come through it ok.
Keep checking for everything, not just a textbook udder, she could do it 'her way'. A camera will let you stay in bed to check as well as let you watch her without her knowing so she won't hide being in labor until you 'go away' again. She looks like she's getting ready 😊

Oh no, that would be awful! Though admittedly, I do check the paddocks for that, just in case.
Sounds like you have a great plan!
Well I sure hope you’re right! Lol thankfully I am blonde so any greys I might have are not particularly noticeable 😅
I check the shed all the time too. I am scared I will miss something.

Pitter Patter!! You’re back! So happy to hear from you, how are Snickers and Pepper?
Exactly the same. I still can't decide if Pepper is pregnant or not. Snickers' little one has been very active, but that's it. Pepper never stops moving to get a decent picture. I think she must have ADHD. Going to attempt to upload a few pics. One is a "regular view" of pepper. When she swings her head one way, her belly goes the opposite way. It's really hard to get her in a decent squared up position and stay there. My cell phone takes a few moments before it actually takes the image, which is frustrating! But here are he most recents anyway. Opinions are most welcome!! Pepper's udder is top photo and Snickers' is on the bottom. The other pics are of Pepper.

Attachments

• 20200725_191721.jpg
    20200725_191721.jpg
    64.9 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200725_191707.jpg
    20200725_191707.jpg
    268.3 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200724_212600.jpg
    20200724_212600.jpg
    193.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200723_183040.jpg
    20200723_183040.jpg