My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh I think her belly is definitely bigger than your last pictures!! That udder isn't doing much yet though. Ugh! No idea if she gets ready fast or has more time to go. You holding up Ok waiting?

Oh I think her belly is definitely bigger than your last pictures!! That udder isn't doing much yet though. Ugh! No idea if she gets ready fast or has more time to go. You holding up Ok waiting?
LOL. Do I have a choice? 🤪 And if Pepper IS pregnant, would a pregnancy only a few months along show? If a baby arrives this summer, the father would be previous owner's stallion. If next summer, it would be my little guy's. How far along are they before they start showing?

Reactions: Taz
If she's showing now she's in her last trimester. They can start to show by about 7/8 months I think, depending on the mare, but it's really obvious the last 3 when the foal starts to put on weight. I'm still voting you're having two this summer but 🤷

Rosie has decided to stretch out a lot in her back end this evening. I wonder if she’s not actually that loose back there yet though coz surely she can’t go from a bit of elongation, scrunched right back up, to long again in one day?! Not overly soft in her hind quarters yet but directly above her tail head all you feel is her spine, nothing covering it at all 🤷‍♀️ My father in law was over and she walked past him while swishing her tail a bit and he commented how long and puffy her “lady parts” were getting lol
Photo of said lady parts attached.

Attachments

• F7FD3510-7630-467D-BFEC-E4B0ADA634CA.jpeg
    F7FD3510-7630-467D-BFEC-E4B0ADA634CA.jpeg
    286 KB · Views: 25
Hate to tell you but that's elongating. Tilly would change that much that fast. I hope you're not thinking about sleeping much, she's making some fast changes, I'm a worrier but I'd be on hourly checks with her. Mind you I started 4 months early with Tilly so don't take my word for it but I think she could be close.

Hate to tell you but that's elongating. Tilly would change that much that fast. I hope you're not thinking about sleeping much, she's making some fast changes, I'm a worrier but I'd be on hourly checks with her. Mind you I started 4 months early with Tilly so don't take my word for it but I think she could be close.
Oh jeez. I best set some alarms tonight then, and go make some changes to the arrangements out in the barn - right now Wish and Rosie are in a stall together that is open to a small paddock with a watering bowl. That’s good to know about the spine, I thought it was rather odd but yeah, her dock is just hard bone. That whole dent area that showed up the other day is just spine, no muscle, not fat, nothing at all. Oh my god, panic mode!!

Don't panic, just watch her. She could still be a ways off but there's no telling really. Her spine showing like that means the muscles have softened.

Don't panic, just watch her. She could still be a ways off but there's no telling really. Her spine showing like that means the muscles have softened.
That’s just it hey, we could be talking days or weeks. Ah ok yes, that makes sense about the muscles/spine. Got the coffee brewing, I don’t see much sleep in my future lol

Sorry, I hope you can get some afternoon naps. I'll be looking for an all's well in the morning.

Definitely starting to elongate but that can happen a long time before foaling or right before. You will notice her anus actually elongate too and get soft at the bottom when she’s really close. My maiden this year was fully elongated more than a month before she foaled. It just comes and goes. But when she can no longer tighten it up at all when you check that’s usually a pretty good indicator that you are closer. If you can check color that’s helpful as well because here is a definite change when they get close. So if you can be watching for that and know what her normal is it is helpful.

Definitely starting to elongate but that can happen a long time before foaling or right before. You will notice her anus actually elongate too and get soft at the bottom when she’s really close. My maiden this year was fully elongated more than a month before she foaled. It just comes and goes. But when she can no longer tighten it up at all when you check that’s usually a pretty good indicator that you are closer. If you can check color that’s helpful as well because here is a definite change when they get close. So if you can be watching for that and know what her normal is it is helpful.
Thank you Elizabeth! I suppose I should be grateful that she’s at least showing some signs and isn’t one of those ones that just foal with no indication they were getting close. I will definitely check the colour.
Uneventful night last night. Still no real udder to speak of, though this morning she was the “puffiest” just in front of her teats that I’ve ever felt her be. Elongated still, hind quarters feel the same. I just wish I knew when she was bred so I’d have a better idea of how long we’re talking. She has been here for 310 days, so we’re getting closer either way!

The good news is with her being there 310 days you know the foal will be cooked well enough.
That’s very true! Sure it would be fantastic to know if she was bred around the time of the auction or a few weeks before or whatever, so that I had more of an idea of how far along she is, but I’ll have to settle for “any time between today and September” 😅

That’s very true! Sure it would be fantastic to know if she was bred around the time of the auction or a few weeks before or whatever, so that I had more of an idea of how far along she is, but I’ll have to settle for “any time between today and September” 😅
Oh my..I feel for you! I think you are very close though if she has been with you that long..I've had my girls for about 122 days and were bred "anytime" from June to "late summer." However I think I am leaning more towards late summer as there is no huge development in udder or elongation. I panicked for a long time, now just resigned for a while until time to panic again 🤪 Taking this time to getting them used to touch and some manners, etc. Getting foaling kit ready too. Can't wait for the good news, Jodie!

Reactions: Taz
Oh my..I feel for you! I think you are very close though if she has been with you that long..I've had my girls for about 122 days and were bred "anytime" from June to "late summer." However I think I am leaning more towards late summer as there is no huge development in udder or elongation. I panicked for a long time, now just resigned for a while until time to panic again 🤪 Taking this time to getting them used to touch and some manners, etc. Getting foaling kit ready too. Can't wait for the good news, Jodie!
Lol you just have to love the huge window for potential foaling hey, does wonders for our nerves and stress levels 😅
I still think our girls are on a similar timeline, so maybe you’ll be joining me in the sleepless night club very soon! But that’s great having the extra time with them to build up their trust etc, it will definitely make it easier for you when their time comes.

Rosie has decided to stretch out a lot in her back end this evening. I wonder if she’s not actually that loose back there yet though coz surely she can’t go from a bit of elongation, scrunched right back up, to long again in one day?! Not overly soft in her hind quarters yet but directly above her tail head all you feel is her spine, nothing covering it at all 🤷‍♀️ My father in law was over and she walked past him while swishing her tail a bit and he commented how long and puffy her “lady parts” were getting lol
Photo of said lady parts attached.
That is a perfect photograph of elongating! Thank you! Gives me a better idea of what to look for! ☺

Back