My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No :confused: I have to get some equipment to get the wifi signal over in the barn, but I know what I need now and how to do it so fingers crossed I can get my hands on it soon! If not I’ll be sleeping in the barn lol

No :confused: I have to get some equipment to get the wifi signal over in the barn, but I know what I need now and how to do it so fingers crossed I can get my hands on it soon! If not I’ll be sleeping in the barn lol
Good luck finding what you need and getting it up, you don't want to have to be out there feeding mosquitoes all night!!

Pitter Patter, anything going on there? I'm waiting for a big change from one of your girls ;)

Good luck finding what you need and getting it up, you don't want to have to be out there feeding mosquitoes all night!!

Pitter Patter, anything going on there? I'm waiting for a big change from one of your girls ;)
LOL...not yet really. Pepper's udder has more changes than Snickers' does though. Good grief--never went through this before--now maybe 2?! I am so grateful to this site because I wouldn't have noticed the changes otherwise nor would I know I am so far off the mark on possible delivery times!

LOL...not yet really. Pepper's udder has more changes than Snickers' does though. Good grief--never went through this before--now maybe 2?! I am so grateful to this site because I wouldn't have noticed the changes otherwise nor would I know I am so far off the mark on possible delivery times!
I agree completely - all those offering advice and support have been an absolute godsend! Do you have any Pepper udder pics? Not much is going on with Rosie right now so it’s up to you, Pitter Patter, to keep things interesting haha!

I agree completely - all those offering advice and support have been an absolute godsend! Do you have any Pepper udder pics? Not much is going on with Rosie right now so it’s up to you, Pitter Patter, to keep things interesting haha!
I posted some pics on pg 9 of this thread if you wanna peek. Not much change since then! UGH

Ah yes I had seen those already. Ugh I just want to go out there one of these days and think wow that’s a big change! But for now it’s very slow going.

Just as I expected, nothing really new on the evening check. Her udder looks the same to me, no change in her back end. The only thing that was a little odd was Wish would not let the boys anywhere near her and Rosie, and she had to be right by Rosie. If either of the boys came into the barn she would bite them and chase them off. This is not normal behaviour at all as they all get along really well, and she never usually hangs around while Rosie eats, she just goes about her normal business. For Rosie’s safety though, I separated the boys out. Then nearer the time to foaling I will move Wish out as well.

Attachments

• 9571E8C2-D038-420D-A004-AA2F135376D9.jpeg
    9571E8C2-D038-420D-A004-AA2F135376D9.jpeg
    285.5 KB · Views: 10
Just as I expected, nothing really new on the evening check. Her udder looks the same to me, no change in her back end. The only thing that was a little odd was Wish would not let the boys anywhere near her and Rosie, and she had to be right by Rosie. If either of the boys came into the barn she would bite them and chase them off. This is not normal behaviour at all as they all get along really well, and she never usually hangs around while Rosie eats, she just goes about her normal business. For Rosie’s safety though, I separated the boys out. Then nearer the time to foaling I will move Wish out as well.
Wish is such a good girl, she's wanting to protect her, or possibly eat her grain, you never know ;). Come on ladies, hurry up, we need something to start happening!!

Rosie is beautiful. I like your barn set up!

Reactions: Taz
Thank you! And thanks, it works pretty well for what we need right now, but likely we will have to make some adjustments in the future. How are your girls doing? No significant changes with Rosie this morning, though Roxy my pintaloosa is acting strange with her now too - has to be by her side, herds her around etc, normally if I put them in a grazing paddock together she doesn’t really take much notice of her. Who knows, mares are so odd lol
The vet is coming tomorrow afternoon so I will update afterwards. Hopefully it’s not a case of a misdiagnosis 5 months ago, or a phantom pregnancy/slipped foal or whatever. Hoping to hear that everything looks good and that it won’t be much longer!

Nothing from Squirt either. :( I asked her owner, and she said: Nothing, she is was over due. We are hopefully going over some evening this week to encourage Squirt to, as Elsa said, let it go, let it go!

Thank you! And thanks, it works pretty well for what we need right now, but likely we will have to make some adjustments in the future. How are your girls doing? No significant changes with Rosie this morning, though Roxy my pintaloosa is acting strange with her now too - has to be by her side, herds her around etc, normally if I put them in a grazing paddock together she doesn’t really take much notice of her. Who knows, mares are so odd lol
The vet is coming tomorrow afternoon so I will update afterwards. Hopefully it’s not a case of a misdiagnosis 5 months ago, or a phantom pregnancy/slipped foal or whatever. Hoping to hear that everything looks good and that it won’t be much longer!
Mine are the same. Pepper still a mystery though. Can't tell if she is or isn't pregnant and I can't make out any movements because she doesn't stay still long enough. When she moves her head side to side her belly goes the other way. She's gained some weight too. BUT she does have some swelling in/around the udder area. I think I am going to keep guessing until she delivers (or doesn't! LOL). I think your other mares know something's up and are trying to protect her. That's wonderful :D Mermaeve, do we have to collectively send Squirt mental images of foaling? 🐴😏

When Tilly got close Spirit and Izzy took turns hanging out with her, she was almost never left alone. They do know she's getting closer.

Come on Squirt! You can do it!! Don't worry about her being over due. They foal when the foal is ready and have no problems for hanging onto them longer, the people on the other hand, lots of problems waiting.....

Hang in everyone, they will get there eventually.

Mermaeve, do we have to collectively send Squirt mental images of foaling?
Yes, please do!! Well, wait until the evening we are there so we can be there for the birth! ;)

Come on Squirt! You can do it!! Don't worry about her being over due. They foal when the foal is ready and have no problems for hanging onto them longer, the people on the other hand, lots of problems waiting.....
Thanks, that is very reassuring. 🤗🥰

So a while back I had bought some equine p-tests for a bit of fun, spent hours trying to collect pee 😅 and ended up with some very inconclusive results. Well the day the vet is coming out, doesn’t Rosie decide to pee right in front of me with the bottle on the stick I still had in the barn within arms reach🤦‍♀️ so I figured I might as well run the remaining test I had, and it came out positive at a minute, and a very odd dark murky colour at 10 minutes. I called the company and was told that in the case of a negative, it will turn back to their normal urine colour very quickly, usually around the minute mark. That gives me some hope for a positive experience this afternoon! I will update with the outcome.

So a while back I had bought some equine p-tests for a bit of fun, spent hours trying to collect pee 😅 and ended up with some very inconclusive results. Well the day the vet is coming out, doesn’t Rosie decide to pee right in front of me with the bottle on the stick I still had in the barn within arms reach🤦‍♀️ so I figured I might as well run the remaining test I had, and it came out positive at a minute, and a very odd dark murky colour at 10 minutes. I called the company and was told that in the case of a negative, it will turn back to their normal urine colour very quickly, usually around the minute mark. That gives me some hope for a positive experience this afternoon! I will update with the outcome.
Anxiously waiting for the results!!!??????

Anxiously waiting for the results!!!??????
Well that was fun lol tried to do an ultrasound externally again and couldn’t get an image at all, at most she could see a bit of intestinal loops. She tried internally and got the probe into the perfect position but obviously with Rosie’s size she couldn’t reach in to get her poop out so her view was very limited. She said she is still pretty certain she is as with the view she could get, she could see fluid and objects inside the fluid but couldn’t get a clear enough view to make out exactly what was what. She said the fluid she could see definitely isn’t Rosie’s bladder. And given that she saw fluid with something in it 5 months ago, she said if it wasn’t a foal in there then chances are Rosie would be seriously ill or even dead by now. With regards to dear old Wish, she took one look at her and said “that’s a Cushings pony if ever I saw one”. She drew bloods to get her levels so we know exactly how to proceed.

Last edited:
Well that was fun lol tried to do an ultrasound externally again and couldn’t get an image at all, at most she could see a bit of intestinal loops. She tried internally and got the probe into the perfect position but obviously with Rosie’s size she couldn’t reach in to get her poop out so her view was very limited. She said she is still pretty certain she is as with the view she could get, she could see fluid and objects inside the fluid but couldn’t get a clear enough view to make out exactly what was what. She said the fluid she could see definitely isn’t Rosie’s bladder. And given that she saw fluid with something in it 5 months ago, she said if it wasn’t a foal in there then chances are Rosie would be seriously I’ll or even dead by now. With regards to dear old Wish, she took one look at her and said “that’s a Cushings pony if ever I saw one”. She drew bloods to get her levels so we know exactly how to proceed.
Mutter, grumble, #*#**#*#*!!!! Have you stocked up on wine yet? Does anyone ever have an easy time with a pregnant mare??????

Mutter, grumble, #*#**#*#*!!!! Have you stocked up on wine yet? Does anyone ever have an easy time with a pregnant mare??????
Lol I definitely need to get more if I’m going to come out the other side of this without grey hair!! But between what little the vet could see, the positive estrone sulphate urine test, Rosie’s belly growth and a little something with her udder, would you think it’s safe to say she is indeed pregnant and not just screwing me around?

Latest posts

Back