Help! First-time pregnant horse owner going crazy

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a colt and it took him some time to nurse because he was so wobbly and long legs. But everything went perfectly and I have the placenta in a bucket for the vet, she's coming out this afternoon. I'm so relieved!
What color do you think he'll be? He's kinda silver right now

Attachments

• EBE13C75-B2B4-4D40-A58B-630225BA52E3.jpeg
    EBE13C75-B2B4-4D40-A58B-630225BA52E3.jpeg
    2.5 MB · Views: 0
  • FCBD92A3-B111-4F64-B2DF-D50C855EF496.jpeg
    FCBD92A3-B111-4F64-B2DF-D50C855EF496.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 0
  • E0AE0F12-6D27-41EF-BC3A-3B8750DAB037.jpeg
    E0AE0F12-6D27-41EF-BC3A-3B8750DAB037.jpeg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
💕Congratulations 💕 !!!
Oh my God! He's adorable 🥰!!

On color...I'm going to play it safe and say he'll end up gray pinto, like mom. What color he will be until he turns gray I have no idea... he kind of looks black right now....foal colors are so weird, though 😄

Last edited:
Vet was just here and his colostrum level was between 400-600 and she's sending another sample to the lab to get an exact number. Anyone have that issue? I feel worried

It's a colt and it took him some time to nurse because he was so wobbly and long legs. But everything went perfectly and I have the placenta in a bucket for the vet, she's coming out this afternoon. I'm so relieved!
What color do you think he'll be? He's kinda silver right now
Oh he is so precious! I'm in love. His color is beautiful. I hope he doesn't change color:)
What should his colostrum level be at?

Okay so, how long did it take for him to nurse? With low iGg levels it can definitely be scary. They usually want to do plasma which unfortunately is expensive. They are at risk of getting an infection otherwise. Hopefully that iGg level is high!

Okay so, how long did it take for him to nurse? With low iGg levels it can definitely be scary. They usually want to do plasma which unfortunately is expensive. They are at risk of getting an infection otherwise. Hopefully that iGg level is high!
He didn't start nursing until about 3 hours after. They were trying real hard. And yes the plasma is 1k 😩

I'm so thrilled this baby is here and seems to be spunky and thriving but I'm so worried about this colostrum. Another sleepless night until ther lab results

He's just so darling! If he's going to grey, you'll see indications of that right around the eyes and muzzle, otherwise he may stay quite black pinto.
I've never had a foal test for Immunoglobulin, I've never had a foal born that I was overly concerned with something that I couldn't handle on my own. Perhaps we have had low iGg levels but they've all come through, healthy and happy. (Knock on wood!) Perhaps ignorance has been bliss for me!! However, I've never had mini foals, just horses. And one accidental mule pony I adopted from a good friend...

Have you considered a name for him yet? Maybe something about your experience waiting for him... "Grey-Maker" "When I Feel Like It" "Gonna Hafta Wait" I'm just teasing!
My fingers are crossed for little dude and you. Sending healing light and love. ❤️ 🥰 🤞

He's just so darling! If he's going to grey, you'll see indications of that right around the eyes and muzzle, otherwise he may stay quite black pinto.
I've never had a foal test for Immunoglobulin, I've never had a foal born that I was overly concerned with something that I couldn't handle on my own. Perhaps we have had low iGg levels but they've all come through, healthy and happy. (Knock on wood!) Perhaps ignorance has been bliss for me!! However, I've never had mini foals, just horses. And one accidental mule pony I adopted from a good friend...

Have you considered a name for him yet? Maybe something about your experience waiting for him... "
thank you! The vet did say 20 years ago they never tested for this and he's robust and active.
My husband is set on shadow. He does look very grey with a black stipe along his back. He's a better photo in the light

Attachments

• 17E52BE0-C483-4EA1-B6D2-0B3C1662021E.jpeg
    17E52BE0-C483-4EA1-B6D2-0B3C1662021E.jpeg
    2 MB · Views: 0
  • 49E725FA-37F8-49AD-8294-5074A8B87C10.jpeg
    49E725FA-37F8-49AD-8294-5074A8B87C10.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 0
Fantastic! Yeah if he was below 600 you’d have known by now most likely. So glad he’s good! The silver coloration you are seeing is typical black foal camo, which usually indicates grey is not present. Note the use of the word USUALLY lol. Here’s one one of my black foals that had a lot of silver in his foal coat but zero chance of grey. If you are on Facebook, you should post him in the equine genetics groups! Black foals with the grey gene are usually born solid black without camo as seen in the second pic.

Attachments

• 385F3336-9B61-4559-BF76-05A04F897F2A.jpeg
    385F3336-9B61-4559-BF76-05A04F897F2A.jpeg
    4.7 MB · Views: 0
  • 1681404860720.jpeg
    1681404860720.jpeg
    14.9 KB · Views: 0
Oh wow, that is so interesting. The dad was a bay pinto. So this baby will likely end up black then huh, he also has some brown hair in his ears as your baby had. ? Horse colors are so confusing to me. I'm still trying to figure out what color Gypsy is.
I'm not on facebook.

Latest posts

Back