My Mare is Possibly Pregnant.

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aww bless them lol the only reason I asked is I found that separating Rosie to give her her feed made a huge difference in her demeanour. Even as recently as March she had to be cornered and almost wrestled to get a halter on her, not good about being touched etc. But catching her daily to give her some mare and foal, grooming her while she was eating, working on picking up her feet etc, I suppose must have made her associate all those things as being pleasant (as initially that only happened while she was eating lol) Now she will walk up to you in the middle of the paddock and stand to be haltered, no effort required, let you touch her anywhere, picks up her feet so nicely. It was just a thought for maybe helping you and Snickers have some one on one time so that you’re in a good comfort zone with each other by the time she foals.
Hi Jodie! We go for walks once in awhile. Unfortunately it's been either close to 100 degrees or pouring rain outside much of the time lately, so haven't done so in a few weeks. Hopefully weather calms down and gets to a happy medium! I spend a lot of time with them when I feed and every other chance I can get. I have a little stool with storage so I go and sit on that after greeting each horse. The stool holds a couple of grooming brushes. Then I just sit and watch and wait. When they have eaten a little bit, they usually come up to me one by one to get scratched or brushed and a kiss on the nose. Snickers is getting more social with me but is certainly not a cuddle pony. I can barely touch her belly and she HATES her ears touched. But she willingly accepts a little kiss on the nose. I am hoping she will not become fearful or upset if I have to help with foaling. Snickers and her two little friends were brood mares their whole lives. While they can be handled, they can be difficult at times. I love interacting with all of them as a herd and individually. The old girl I got (24 yrs old) loves to get scratched and brushed and is very clingy. She likes to back up and literally sit on my lap! I am at work but when I get home I will to upload more pics of Snickers. Every day she varies from looking quite pregnant to not at all. I think her little one lies mostly lengthwise. She has mostly edema in front of her udder with little development. I take pictures almost every day so that when this is all over (if it ever is!) I can look at the progression. It helps me see changes daily too.

Aww it sounds like you have a wonderful routine and lovely relationship building with them all! Haha I would love to see you with a pony sitting on your lap! How adorable! I’m like you with the picture taking - my camera roll is full of pony boobies, belly shots and the rest of it, occasionally a picture of the kids 😅
That’s good to know Snickers varies too, as Rosie seems to be very much like that at the moment. Today it’s the creepy “blob hanging out from under her ribs” belly, ugh I just hate that because just it looks so strange! Our girls udders sound very similar too - edema in front (probably the biggest I’ve seen/felt so far on her this morning) and not much going on behind that. Looking forward to seeing pictures later!

Attachments

• D6EDF5CF-80E7-49EF-B03C-1BD38C0BC8AF.jpeg
    D6EDF5CF-80E7-49EF-B03C-1BD38C0BC8AF.jpeg
    603.9 KB · Views: 7
  • F79B2AA0-2EC2-4EDF-A419-B4736840DFCC.jpeg
    F79B2AA0-2EC2-4EDF-A419-B4736840DFCC.jpeg
    608.8 KB · Views: 7
  • AFFCCE82-F7B4-4524-99B2-13D02D3F307E.jpeg
    AFFCCE82-F7B4-4524-99B2-13D02D3F307E.jpeg
    421.3 KB · Views: 7
  • DE5EB593-F9F1-40A3-9084-5C86EC32825E.jpeg
    DE5EB593-F9F1-40A3-9084-5C86EC32825E.jpeg
    202.6 KB · Views: 12
Hi Jodie! We go for walks once in awhile. Unfortunately it's been either close to 100 degrees or pouring rain outside much of the time lately, so haven't done so in a few weeks. Hopefully weather calms down and gets to a happy medium! I spend a lot of time with them when I feed and every other chance I can get. I have a little stool with storage so I go and sit on that after greeting each horse. The stool holds a couple of grooming brushes. Then I just sit and watch and wait. When they have eaten a little bit, they usually come up to me one by one to get scratched or brushed and a kiss on the nose. Snickers is getting more social with me but is certainly not a cuddle pony. I can barely touch her belly and she HATES her ears touched. But she willingly accepts a little kiss on the nose. I am hoping she will not become fearful or upset if I have to help with foaling. Snickers and her two little friends were brood mares their whole lives. While they can be handled, they can be difficult at times. I love interacting with all of them as a herd and individually. The old girl I got (24 yrs old) loves to get scratched and brushed and is very clingy. She likes to back up and literally sit on my lap! I am at work but when I get home I will to upload more pics of Snickers. Every day she varies from looking quite pregnant to not at all. I think her little one lies mostly lengthwise. She has mostly edema in front of her udder with little development. I take pictures almost every day so that when this is all over (if it ever is!) I can look at the progression. It helps me see changes daily too.
I'm going to be opinionated but please know I think you are doing a wonderful job with them and am SO happy they are with you. You might find it would help if before you fed them you put a halter on each one at a time and 'moved them' a bit. Nothing major, just with your hand a couple steps back,then scratch, back end a couple steps over(keep Snickers head towards you so she can't kick), front end a couple steps over. 5 min each if/when you have the time and energy, then do your normal routine for while they eat. It would give you a bit more of a leader role and they might be more willing to let you in to help if it was needed with a foal right after they're born. I think you know this stuff so if you've already been doing it when you were going for walks just ignore me. ;).

I'm so excited and can't wait for your turn for foals. It really will happen even though it feels like it never will. It didn't feel real with Finn(he has a name!) until yesterday.

Aww it sounds like you have a wonderful routine and lovely relationship building with them all! Haha I would love to see you with a pony sitting on your lap! How adorable! I’m like you with the picture taking - my camera roll is full of pony boobies, belly shots and the rest of it, occasionally a picture of the kids 😅
That’s good to know Snickers varies too, as Rosie seems to be very much like that at the moment. Today it’s the creepy “blob hanging out from under her ribs” belly, ugh I just hate that because just it looks so strange! Our girls udders sound very similar too - edema in front (probably the biggest I’ve seen/felt so far on her this morning) and not much going on behind that. Looking forward to seeing pictures later!
Is it my imagination or does she have just a little bit more fill in her teats? Is your camera up and working yet?

Is it my imagination or does she have just a little bit more fill in her teats? Is your camera up and working yet?
Funny you should say that because I almost thought the same thing! Maybe there is a little something going on if you’re also seeing it. No not yet, but I have family coming this weekend and my brother in law is extremely techy (and I mean full on tech genius lol) so I’m going to ask him to scope things out for me and see what he comes up with!

I definitely think that udder is starting.

Funny you should say that because I almost thought the same thing! Maybe there is a little something going on if you’re also seeing it. No not yet, but I have family coming this weekend and my brother in law is extremely techy (and I mean full on tech genius lol) so I’m going to ask him to scope things out for me and see what he comes up with!
We can't both be wrong can we?
Wonderful, you'll be good to go soon.
Oh, elizabeth.conder thinks so to, yay, your getting there!!

I'm just going to haunt the two of you over here now🤣🤣
Please do! Haha I know I certainly will be very grateful for your advice and knowledge, as well as the other ladies that have been fantastic along the way so far! It is so nice having Pitter Patter at a similar stage in foal watch too, us with our “late bloomers” lol

I definitely think that udder is starting.
Eek!! Maybe all the second guessing is finally coming to an end lol though I’m still going to get the vet to take another peek while she’s here. Heck if I’m already paying the call out fee and having 2 other horses checked out while she’s here then I might as well. Hopefully the “black blob potentially containing a head” is now more visibly an actual foal!

I'm going to be opinionated but please know I think you are doing a wonderful job with them and am SO happy they are with you. You might find it would help if before you fed them you put a halter on each one at a time and 'moved them' a bit. Nothing major, just with your hand a couple steps back,then scratch, back end a couple steps over(keep Snickers head towards you so she can't kick), front end a couple steps over. 5 min each if/when you have the time and energy, then do your normal routine for while they eat. It would give you a bit more of a leader role and they might be more willing to let you in to help if it was needed with a foal right after they're born. I think you know this stuff so if you've already been doing it when you were going for walks just ignore me. ;).

I'm so excited and can't wait for your turn for foals. It really will happen even though it feels like it never will. It didn't feel real with Finn(he has a name!) until yesterday.
Thanks Taz! I do that sometimes but should do it more often. She is much better at not kicking anymore. She still doesn't like certain areas touched but is starting to tolerate it. As long as I don't leave my hand on her belly at all ( I can touch but not linger at all!) The udder and ears are huge no-no's right now. Now it's Pepper being a bit of a bugger but I know it is because of me! I keep watching her belly for movement. She is all black so it's sometimes hard to discern. I get the dirtiest looks! I know if I linger too long with my hand on her side or belly I could be in for a kick or a bite. She is very irritable right now and not pleased that my little stallion has taken more of a leadership role. Stallion does see me as a leader but he also needs a lot more work. I have a picture of my old girl on my lap, but it's taken from my perspective so all you can see is her back up close...lol. I know this is a bad habit because if she were any bigger it would lead to serious injury so working on gently making her get off. She has a cat personality. Runs up to me and brushes by my legs and waits for scratches. I have a really funny selfie of us together where she smiled (but God, are her teeth HORRIBLE!) and my ugly mug. It was taken on her second day here. Former owner kept halters on constantly and she still has the indentations. I don't keep them on. And I have to admit, I was more than a little nervous not knowing her well, but glad I let her because she is super cuddly!20200403_170029.jpg

Sounds like you are doing the right thing! Taz's suggestion is very good for all those reasons as well as some others. Not all mares take to having a foal nursing so it's very helpful to get them used to touching of their udder. Especially if you have to hand feed the foal at first. Can definitely be hard to get them used to, but consistency is key as well as letting her know she cannot get away with refusing you.

Thanks Taz! I do that sometimes but should do it more often. She is much better at not kicking anymore. She still doesn't like certain areas touched but is starting to tolerate it. As long as I don't leave my hand on her belly at all ( I can touch but not linger at all!) The udder and ears are huge no-no's right now. Now it's Pepper being a bit of a bugger but I know it is because of me! I keep watching her belly for movement. She is all black so it's sometimes hard to discern. I get the dirtiest looks! I know if I linger too long with my hand on her side or belly I could be in for a kick or a bite. She is very irritable right now and not pleased that my little stallion has taken more of a leadership role. Stallion does see me as a leader but he also needs a lot more work. I have a picture of my old girl on my lap, but it's taken from my perspective so all you can see is her back up close...lol. I know this is a bad habit because if she were any bigger it would lead to serious injury so working on gently making her get off. She has a cat personality. Runs up to me and brushes by my legs and waits for scratches. I have a really funny selfie of us together where she smiled (but God, are her teeth HORRIBLE!) and my ugly mug. It was taken on her second day here. Former owner kept halters on constantly and she still has the indentations. I don't keep them on. And I have to admit, I was more than a little nervous not knowing her well, but glad I let her because she is super cuddly!View attachment 41905
What a wonderful picture! I can't tell you how happy it makes me she's getting loved and looked after finally!!!!!!!
It's not pathetic at all to wait for one of your kids to help. 😊

Ok Jodie...going to attempt the picture thing again! Might throw in a couple of Pepper as well as I am suspicious! So then you can compare all three. I think you will see you are not behind at all! ;) 20200716_195706.jpg20200712_185029.jpg20200702_185655.jpgUSER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_orca_share_media1594662415073_6688498946191753684.jpg 20200715_182607.jpg20200705_195323.jpg (1)Snickers profile (2)Snickers Udder a few days ago (3)Snickers Udder last night(4)Pepper profile(5)Pepper Udder a few days ago(6)Pepper Udder last night.

Ok Jodie...going to attempt the picture thing again! Might throw in a couple of Pepper as well as I am suspicious! So then you can compare all three. I think you will see you are not behind at all! ;) View attachment 41912View attachment 41913View attachment 41914View attachment 41915 View attachment 41916View attachment 41917 (1)Snickers profile (2)Snickers Udder a few days ago (3)Snickers Udder last night(4)Pepper profile(5)Pepper Udder a few days ago(6)Pepper Udder last night.

I definitely think Snickers udder is starting. Peppers belly is suspicious. Are you taking comparison pictures at the same time of day?

@Pitter Patter, here is my guess from the pictures: Snickers' isn't pregnant, she's just tricking you, Pepper IS pregnant with Snickers' baby as they switched the baby one night. Don't ask me how they did it, but they did. 😂 On a more serious note, Pepper looks like she has way more udder than Snickers does.

I agree, Snickers definitely has something going on. Peppers belly looks lower to me and she could have something starting with her udder but it's not as obvious as Snickers. I still think you're having 2 😊. Two is actually good, they have someone to play with. Hopefully very close to each other so you can get it over with quickly and start the fun. :D

Ok Jodie...going to attempt the picture thing again! Might throw in a couple of Pepper as well as I am suspicious! So then you can compare all three. I think you will see you are not behind at all! ;) View attachment 41912View attachment 41913View attachment 41914View attachment 41915 View attachment 41916View attachment 41917 (1)Snickers profile (2)Snickers Udder a few days ago (3)Snickers Udder last night(4)Pepper profile(5)Pepper Udder a few days ago(6)Pepper Udder last night.
Wow I can see why you’re suspicious of Pepper!! Lol no definitely not too far behind! I feel like Rosie has a lower belly than Snickers, but not as low as Pepper. Snickers and Rosie look similar in the udder department for sure!

Latest posts

Back