Mary's Pregnancy & Foaling Thread- SHE FOALED 5/22~~~FILLY~~~!!! New PICS pg 56

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Renee!
default_smile.png

I was just out there checking in the stall for cow patties and I checked her milk- it is super white and not very sticky.

Her hooha is very puffy.

She just laid down.

Oh my goodness!! Come on Mary girl!!! You can do it! Praying for a safe and text book delivery for you Ben and Mary. I personally check position after the water breaks. If I encounter two feet and a nose, all is good. If something is missing it buys you several minutes ahead to get a vet out. I can't wait to see pictures of the new baby!!

We just had a baby!!! Beautiful text book delivery!! Update in a minute

Whoo Hooooooooo Ben & Mary!!!

Good things come to those that wait.

Even though closing in - it seems it'll never happen.

How considerate for her to foal reasonably early .... least on this side of the world.

I'll wait to head off to bed till you update - ?maybe? with a quick photo?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yipppeeeeeeeee oh well done Mary and well done Ben. As soon as mum and baby are bonding leave them alone and post sone pics ROFL

Alright here's a quick update, I'll give you all the details later.

At 10:50 we had a Baby!

Baby seems to be doing well, standing up and has tried to nurse- wasn't very successful finding the teat. Hasnt popped yet, but I'm watching for it. I want to see her nurse or poop before I go back to the car.

Mary is alright, a little uncomfortable but nothing bad. She hasn been rolling or anything. But she does whine occasionally, like when the baby is trying to nurse. She has been laying down for a couple minutes then she gets up and munches some hay/bran.

She passed the placenta about twenty minutes after and after examining it I think all is normal- there was a tear in it though, towards the bottom, but everything else looked like the pictures- is a tear normal or should I be concerned?

She is bleeding a little, just te occasional drop but i am assuming that is normal.

Now that the baby arrived safely my worries have turned to Mary.

She has eaten, and right now she laid down and looks like she might be having contractions- each time a little bloody stuff comes out of her hooha. Normal, or should I be worried??

Now, for the fun part. Mary tormented us all bu keeping us waiting to see what she was cooking. Now I know
default_smile.png

IT'S A...............FILLY!! I don't know what to call her color, but she is a bay with white around her belly, and she might have two white feet. No blaze, a solid bay face with a beautiful curly dark Kane
default_smile.png
I am in love!

The FILLY FAIRY was in Oregon tonight
default_smile.png
who wants her?

And....so I don't disappoint.....here is a pic. Not too clear, but you get the idea. More to come tomorrow
default_smile.png

7336c0d6.jpg

1d1b2592.jpg

Mary is a very attentive mother- stands up when the little filly whinnys and licks her all over- pretty darn adorable
default_smile.png

She has almost reached the milk bar! Has to bend down a little, and Mary squeals every time she gets close, but she almost has it.

I wanted to mention that I am in love with this little girl! She is a talkative little thing, and is already walking around like a champ!

She is definitely a keeper
default_smile.png

She is just precious Ben!! Did you dip the fillies cord after it broke? I would give Mary some Banamine if you have it. It just makes them so much more comfortable and they can worry about the baby more and not themselves. As far as the placenta, there should only be one "tear" or opening and that is where the foal emerged. The non pregnant horn is where most retained pieces seem to come from. I am sure it is fine. All that squealing and talking Mary does is normal for a lot of mares. 3 of my 5 this year were squealers and very vocal with their babies. After the baby gets a good nurse in and takes a nap and then gets back up, then you can give her a bit of an enema (about 1/4 of an adult enema is all I give to mini babies).

I can't wait to see more and more pictures!!!

Ohhhhh perfect! Just perfect.

See, it was the paint job that was taking the extra time!

Can hardly wait to see the dried off photos in the AM.

It'll be fun to have her for a keeper. She's a cutie.

I've kept all mine....never could separate myself from them once I held them and rocked then in my arms.

You've got some fun times ahead of you. Got a girlie girl named picked out?

There is going to be some dripping from Mary ... it's just such a short time since the delivery.

It's nice to see the sack totally intact but possibly she stepped on it and made a small tear? Issues arise if it tore while inside

and she retained any of the tissue...... Don't want to borrow trouble it's just something to be watchful for should she seem to run a temp and be 'off'.

She might squeal for a few days as her teats could well be tender and it takes a bit till they toughen up. Watch though that she does allow the punkin' to nurse and doesn't get rough or push her away. Again, don't borrow trouble - it most often resolves it's self in a few days.

How's the weather there tonight? Rain has slacked off here a bit - even had a sun break, by accident I'm sure, this afternoon.

I didn't have to clip the cord, but I did dip it! I will dip it again if that is suggested.

I still haven't seen her nurse, but she gets close and seems to know what to do so I'm going to leave them alone for a while now.

The placenta tear must have been exactly what you said, where the foal came out.

Mary is doing a lot better and is up being an attentive mother and trying to help the filly find the milk bar.

Now I need some name suggestions!! And, what is her color???

The rain has really calmed down, just a sprinkle here and there. But it is cold. I dried the filly off really well and put a ton of straw in there.

Oh and I haven't seen her poop yet, but I don't want to sit around with a flashlight and bother them all night. So I will check for poop when I go back.

Good you dipped the cord....I do it several times the first day even though the doc said I was being overly cautious.

I also swab the bottoms of their hooves as soon as the 'slippers' have come off. Some come off right away and get lost

in the bedding ... so if her hooves are visible they are already gone.

She kind of looks bay right now but she's still damp in those photos. Morning will tell. Isn't Daddy a red head and Mary, too?

For a fun thing tomorrow you can measure her cannon bone .... middle of the break in the knee to the top of the coronet band.

Then go whatever it is x 2 plus or minus 2 and you'll get her approx height as an adult. You can entertain yourself for hours, just like counting the fingers and toes on a new baby .... no end to the wonder they cause in your heart.

I'm heading to bed - glad your got your baby girl.

Dad is a bay tobiano, something else- I can't remember what someone on here decided after seeing pics, but he is a bay. Mom is a chestnut.

Filly is dark brown with very dark mane and a mixed white/dark tail.

I will be measuring cannon bone tomorrow for sure, along with taking hundreds of pictures.
default_smile.png

I need name suggestions!!

Congratultions Ben, she is just gorgeous and looks to be bsy tobiano but we will have to see when she is dry. Everything sounds normal with Mary
default_smile.png

Congratultions Ben, she is just gorgeous and looks to be bsy tobiano but we will have to see when she is dry. Everything sounds normal with Mary
default_smile.png
Thanks Renee, I think she is gorgeous too! I just love her
default_smile.png
my brother is already sick of me talking about her haha
default_smile.png

Mary is standing up more now, but does still lay down occasionally. I can imagine that is normal after just delivering a (beautiful) baby. She doesn't have white feet, but I guess I could be mistaken.

I cant wait to measure the lil girl tomorrow!

And good news- SHE FOUND THE MILK BAR!!

I'm going to check in on them every half hour for a while and then go to sleep if all looks well. Is that bad?

I closed them in the stall and Mary has her bran and some hay, plenty of water (out of baby's reach) and it is dry and a little warmer in there. I might buy a blanket tomorrow if it continues to rain.

I really need some name suggestions. I don't really have to use her parents names, but they are

CCF Rowdy Little Streaker

&

Haneys Golden Mariah

I really like the name Mabel, or Maybel, but I don't know how to incorporate it- plus I would like to hear some other suggestions.

Latest posts

Back