Mary's Pregnancy & Foaling Thread- SHE FOALED 5/22~~~FILLY~~~!!! New PICS pg 56

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
OMG!! She is adorable in that pink blanket!! Look at that little face. Have you measured her cannon yet?

Most of our vets here use the Snap Test and if there is any question they send it off to the lab. It is too bad that the other gal had a poor result on her snap test, you have to follow the directions very carefully or you can get false results. I do not know the circumstances on her test, but I am glad that her vet clinic found out different. I use another brand for the IgG test although I can to remember the name, it is less expensive but you do have a few more steps to do in comparison to the Snap Test. On either, you do have to be bale to draw blood yourself which is not the easiest thing to do in mini foals.

oh I'm late to the party but ben you must be thrilled!!! your little Maybel is just absoloutly gorgeous! a filly and has pinto colouring yippee!!! has she got 4 white stockings? yay! she is so beautiful and I love her blankie!! she is beautiful congratulations!! mary did you proud! :D more piccies please!

Cassie- Maybel has two white front stockings and the belly band, and that's it for white!
default_smile.png
the end of her mane is white, and her tail is mixed white I guess.

The vet just left! She had nothing but good things to say. She was very impressed with everything and all that I've done
default_smile.png

IgG was excellent, everything else looks great. Mary is looking perfect for just delivering a baby, and she did amazing with the vet handling her little one.

She examined the placenta and everything looked perfect according to her. She did mention the sac was pretty thick, but everything else was in perfect condition. Now I can throw it away, or bury it or something!

Maybel got a shot of vitamin E & selenium because that is standard practice with foals in this area, according to the vet.

The vet took about a hundred pictures haha
default_smile.png

I'm glad everything is looking good, now I don't have any reason to worry!

More pictures later- now I'm going to catch up on some sleep
default_smile.png

Oh and she gave me some eye ointment to apply to her eye twice a day for the next three days- just to be safe. She said with the bigger eyes that minis have and foals not having fast reflexes she may have poked it or something, or it could just be boogery but we are just being on the safe side.

Sandy, it was Kay's vet that did the snap test on her filly. Then the filly became more and more lethargic, running a high fever and after several days of her vet's treatment she was taken to the state vet college for treatment, and a full IgG blood test was drawn and found she was a "failure" foal. At that point she was also septic and she had a long, slow road to recovery -- but she made it. The vet hospital had nothing "nice" to say about the snap test, and had already treated several "failure" foals that were given the snap and okay'd.

So to me, and this is my personal opinion, only....if you're going to have the vet out, you might as well do the full blood test to be certain.

I've been fortunate here, in that I've never had a foal that required a transfusion. But those that I have a concern about, I do the full IgG test to be sure. Luckily, since several of my mares have been long-term residents here, and have produced milk of excellent quality, I seldom have to do the test anymore. But I would if I had a foal that had a difficult birth or a difficult time nursing.

And you're right -- drawing blood on a mini foal is not the easiest thing to do, especially if the foal is sick.

Waiting to hear what the vet has to say....and see more pictures of the beautiful Mabel!
Sandy, it was Kay's vet that did the snap test on her filly. Then the filly became more and more lethargic, running a high fever and after several days of her vet's treatment she was taken to the state vet college for treatment, and a full IgG blood test was drawn and found she was a "failure" foal. At that point she was also septic and she had a long, slow road to recovery -- but she made it. The vet hospital had nothing "nice" to say about the snap test, and had already treated several "failure" foals that were given the snap and okay'd.

So to me, and this is my personal opinion, only....if you're going to have the vet out, you might as well do the full blood test to be certain.

I've been fortunate here, in that I've never had a foal that required a transfusion. But those that I have a concern about, I do the full IgG test to be sure. Luckily, since several of my mares have been long-term residents here, and have produced milk of excellent quality, I seldom have to do the test anymore. But I would if I had a foal that had a difficult birth or a difficult time nursing.

And you're right -- drawing blood on a mini foal is not the easiest thing to do, especially if the foal is sick.

Waiting to hear what the vet has to say....and see more pictures of the beautiful Mabel!
Wow that is scary!! I wonder if it was a bad batch or just a glitch in the product of Snap Foal? As I mentioned many of our local vets here use the Snap Foal test specifically.

Ben great news that Mary and baby girl have checked out healthy and all is well. I bet you are just beaming and drop dead tired! LOL! You are going to have so much fun with this little one. You could not have asked for more with such a nice filly!

She is just precious. Love her little blanket. You are going to have such fun.The pics are great. Glad to hear the vet thinks she's doing good..

Good morning Ben, just checking in to see if you have gotton down from your cloud yet? Im thrilled to hear that Mom and baby are doing so well!! I got a chuckle when you said the vet took lots of pictures. Its always extra good when the vet finds a special horse too.......that means she will always pay special attention to your princess. Were they able to go outside for a bit yesterday or was the rain keeping them in? Well I hope you got plenty of BED REST last night...bet it felt great!! Enjoy your little one.....did we come up with a name yet!!! Pretty In Pink LOL

Congratulations again on such a little beauty!!!

I'm sure we need new pictures again -- perhaps of her outings with momma!!!
Her momma has let her go outside for long yet! Just a quick look out and right back in.

I'm sure it's because of all this rain- it is coming down like crazy today!

It is supposed to be clear skies this weekend so I will definitely get some pictures!
default_smile.png

Congratulations again on such a little beauty!!!

I'm sure we need new pictures again -- perhaps of her outings with momma!!!
Her momma has let her go outside for long yet! Just a quick look out and right back in.

I'm sure it's because of all this rain- it is coming down like crazy today!

It is supposed to be clear skies this weekend so I will definitely get some pictures!
default_smile.png

Good morning Ben, just checking in to see if you have gotton down from your cloud yet? Im thrilled to hear that Mom and baby are doing so well!! I got a chuckle when you said the vet took lots of pictures. Its always extra good when the vet finds a special horse too.......that means she will always pay special attention to your princess. Were they able to go outside for a bit yesterday or was the rain keeping them in? Well I hope you got plenty of BED REST last night...bet it felt great!! Enjoy your little one.....did we come up with a name yet!!! Pretty In Pink LOL
Not quite yet
default_smile.png
haha

I told the vet to go ahead and stop by any time she wants to see her haha. Maybe that way I will get advice without paying a farm call fee
default_smile.png

I haven't slept very well- too excited about it all, and I have to keep going out there to check on her or else I go crazy worrying haha.

My niece and nephew are coming down this weekend to visit- i am so excited to show them the baby! I'm glad Mary decided to foal before they came down- they are super excited about seeing a baby mini
default_smile.png

Ben, its great to hear your already having visitors....my niece and nephew came to see their first mini baby too right after Cam was born....it will be fun showing her off!! Its nice that you have family members that are as excited as you!!

Very smart keeping your vet in your little ones graces....free farm calls or even a discount is always appreciated!! smart Man!!!

oh isnt she cute! good job Mary! sorry i've been busy for the last couple days, but i had to check in to see Mary's baby pics! congrats!

So glad to hear all was proved well with Mary and baby Ben - your vet taking pics made me smile - one of our vets always arrves with her camera if we call her out to a foaling! LOL!!

Your nephew and niece are going to be thrilled to see a baby mini I'm sure. Dont forget to get some pictures of their visit!

Hi Ben! How is Mary and that beautiful new filly doing? We need some recent pictures!!

Yes Ben - now getting a little concerned - hope all is ok with you, Mary and Maybel, and some news about little Murphy would be good too!
default_yes.gif

I'm back! Sorry about me not being on much this weekend, I did not forget you guys- just a little busy with the family up here and the new baby to watch after
default_smile.png

My sister and her kids just left, so now I am back to having free time haha
default_smile.png

Maybel & Mary are doing great! On Friday I turned them out into the bigger pasture that Mary is used to being in- and boy can that little filly fly!!! She has been loving all the room to run, but I cant say Mary is enjoying it as much because she is always chasing after Maybel haha
default_smile.png

They have been getting turned out all day and then put back up at night and everything is working just great. Rowdy has been a little upset, and therefore mischievous, that he can't be in there with them- but he will just have to deal with that!

Maybel is a total sweetheart, and besides kicking me once, she is pretty cuddly. She seems to like me the best, more apprehensive around everyone else but once she warms up to you she is super friendly. Mary could care less if I am in there with Maybel, I think she trusts me as the babysitter
default_smile.png
but she hasn't been very cooperative in showing Maybel off to everyone else, she likes to stand right in between baby and everyone else. She did let the kids get a few good pets in, and I've got some pics to share.

Maybel reminds me of my niece- total daredevil, doesn't listen to momma, and wants to be the center of attention.

Today she crawled up on my lap and starting taking a nap! I couldn't believe it! She is just so sweet and special to me- my dad is convinced it is because I was there for the delivery.

I can't wait to spend all day out there tomorrow with her. We have had a rainy weekend (typical memorial day weather) so she hasn't experienced the sun much- but it's supposed to be pretty nice the rest of the week. I'll be sure to take pictures and videos of her running around
default_smile.png

Well, that's all for an update- for now. I'm still super exhausted from foal watch, foal delivery, foal infatuation, and crazy little kids- I haven't been able to catch up on much sleep, but that's what I'm going to do the rest of the day!

Sorry for the rambling, I'm all scatterbrained and keep remembering little things I wanted to share!

Now I'm off to bed- i will get back on after a looooong nap and post a coherent message for you all
default_smile.png
(and share some pics)

Ok here are the pictures- I know you all would have been upset if I made you wait!!!

890f16ee.jpg

73572a32.jpg

896270c3.jpg

34cee3f9.jpg

17535768.jpg

316cb1e9.jpg

Welcome back Ben
default_smile.png
I knew you were busy with your new baby and family but we missed you!

Thanks for the pics, Maybel gets more beautiful each day
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back