Mary's Pregnancy & Foaling Thread- SHE FOALED 5/22~~~FILLY~~~!!! New PICS pg 56

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mthowdy

Reaction score
Hey all!! I am a newbie to this wonderful site, and "sort of" a newbie to miniature horses!!

I'll give you the background then all the good stuff
default_smile.png

First of all, I've been reading through everyone's threads and I am both envious and excited about everyone's new foals, and glad to see that this is a very welcoming and kind place. The one question I have is- are boys allowed? I read all this talk about you "crazy ladies" and all that, and wonder if there is any room for me? I sure hope so!

Anyways, here's a little bit about me-

I grew up around horses and my Dad & Uncle had a Quarter Horse breeding farm for a while, so I've been around quite a few pregnant mares and new foals- but never miniatures!!

I did have one mini as a kid, but for a very short time as it was a nasty little thing- but I didn't blame it, it had a pretty rocky start to life and before we got him he was very neglected.

Now I'm all grown up (at the ripe ol' age of 21 haha) and have my own place- and it is perfectly suited for minis. A couple months after moving in, my little family and I decided to bring 2 minis into the farm. A stallion, Rowdy, and a mare, Mariah (or Mary for short).

We got them from a lady just down the road who was moving and couldn't take them with her. They were well cared for, but I must admit I am spoiling them to death here
default_smile.png

I have done TONS of research to make sure I am giving them everything that they could ever need. I've also spent endless hours reading books, Internet sites, this forum, and watching YouTube movies on miniature horse pregnancy and delivery- so I feel as prepared as I can be for my first mini foaling experience. It also helps to relieve a little stress having my vet only 5 minutes away- literally! He already knows I will be calling him if anything goes wrong- no matter what time.

Mary was turned out to Pasture with Rowdy last year on June 1st- and that is all I know for a breeding date. She has had one other foal with Rowdy, a little dark colored colt last year- but unfortunately, she had him in the dead of night with no one around and he didn't make it out of the sac. Other than that, the old owners said she had a rather routine delivery (they weren't there so how do they know?!).

Besides last years colt, I know of two other foals from her. A bay pinto filly from four years ago, and another bay pinto colt the year before that (if I am remembering that right.)

Mary is a big ol' wide load right now, and she has started bagging up within the last two days! Very slowly, but it is definitely a good sign! She has some really big "front boobs" right now, and each morning I go out to find her udder has gotten bigger!

We had the vet out in January and he guessed that she would deliver sometime in May...and I'm thinking it will be the beginning of May, but that could just be WISHFUL thinking ;)

It kinda irritates me that I don't have a better judgement on when she is due, because I feel like I'm being a bad caretaker by not doing all the things at the right times.

I'm getting her new area all set up for her to stay until she foals...that way I can keep her away from Rowdy, plus her new pen is in plain view from my bedroom window! Hopefully this weekend it will be done and she will be moved in. It is a 22x11 foot run with a shed on one side, and she will be turned out to exercise daily- plus I love taking her on walks over our acreage.

Well...I think that is all for now, but feel free to ask any questions you can come up with!!

Hopefully I can figure out how to attach pictures so you guys can help me out, and see her developing!! I already have pictures from yesterday and today, so as soon as I can get them posted you guys will have a couple days worth of pics to spot any changes.

Hope everyone had a great day, is having a great day, has a great day tomorrow- or whatever works for the time zone you are in haha!

Happy Foaling
default_smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
I forgot to mention these two things!

- Mary is a solid Chestnut mare with a Flaxen mane and tail. She is at the ripe old age of 17, and I don't plan in rebreeding her for next year- although, IMO she is beautifully built and carries herself beautifully too. She is double registered and is 33" tall.

-Rowdy, the stallion Mary is bred to, is a Dun Tovero with one blue eye. He carries the LWO gene, and was sired by Lucky Four Medicine Man and has Rowdy in his background, hence the nickname. I believe his original owners used to call him Tucker- not the same people we got him from. He is also double registered and 31.5" tall.

I believe their previous owner/s might be or might have been a member of this site. hope I'm not stepping on their toes or anything- but I do own these two horses now, so I can't see how I would be.

Once I did a google search of Rowdys registered name and that is how I discovered this forum- someone had posted about him.

Anyways, thought you guys might want to know more specifics about the minis so there ya go!

Welcome to the forum! Of course boys are aloud! Any mini lover aloud here! Sounds like you are going to have a ,Ute little foal soon! we all always love to see pictures, which if you read the other forums you probably noticed that.
default_smile.png
down at the bottom right it says more reply options and then you can browse for your attachment and click attach. Hope that helps.... Pic of daddy is always welcom too!

Hi and welcome to the nursery
default_saludando.gif

Glad to have you on board and of course we welcome guys
default_thumbup.gif

your mare sounds lovely and it sounds as though you have done a wonderful job with getting everything set up for the arrival of her baby
default_yes.gif
well done you.

are you able to get marestare? or do you have a foaling alarm on her? or are you sitting out there with her 24/7? hehe

I think you would want to keep an extra close eye on her especially given her previous foal didn't get out of the sack poor wee thing!

would love to see pics of both Mary and Rowdy if you have some
default_smile.png
oh and we LOVE pictures of tummy,s udders, hoohas and everything else we can get to see how close to foaling she is.
default_whistling.gif

please keep us updated
default_smile.png
we can be a quite demanding lot...
default_giveup.gif
but we mean well
default_smile.png

Thanks for joining and welcome from NSW Australia
default_saludando.gif

Cassie

Welcome. Of course, guys are welcome. If you love minis, and are friendly, you're more than welcome here.

However... You can't post about these wonderful guys without pictures, its an unwritten rule.
default_wink.png
[Ok, so I just reread and see you're asking for info on posting pics.] Many people use photobucket, and then link to photobucket. I've been able to post direct using the more reply options button and then the attach files box below the text box (and click add to post after uploading).

See...

Cat2 - brightness enhanced.jpg

And, don't feel bad you don't have more information about her due date, I have one of those too. I know when she had last year's foal, and when the stallion was turned out for pasture breeding, and from the looks of her she's due sooner rather than later. Actually, half of my due mares are that way; 3 of my mares were hand bred 1 cycle, 2 were pasture bred (hand breeding wasn't working for that stallion), and the above mare purchased last fall.

I'm glad to hear I'm allowed
default_smile.png

Thanks for the warm welcomes, and the compliments! I have tried to do everything I can for them, and especially for Mary.

Right now my only Internet access is through my iPhone, and so far I havent been able to attach or upload a picture from it.

Hopefully our Internet is back up and running soon so I can give you guys what you really want- pictures!!

Also- I looked into the foaling monitors, but couldn't afford one for this season. And marestare is impossible without a good Internet connection- something i am missing right now!!

I really apologize for not being able to post pictures!!! It is driving me as insane as I think it is you guys!

Is there any way to do it from an iPhone??

Thank you for posting those pictures for me, I really appreciate it!!

And I'm sure the others appreciate it too, you all seem to really like your pictures! Haha
default_smile.png

Like I said, I will get more tomorrow and then as often as I can after that. I've been checking on her throughout the entire day, but I will take pictures in the morning and evening at the same time every day.

Can't wait to hear what you all think!!

Hi Ben and Yes you are VERY welcome here, it is at your own risk though
default_smile.png
default_whistling.gif

Your horses are adorable and look great, perhaps a little on the tubby side but I can't talk cos mine are all just plain fat.
default_rolleyes.gif
They look loved and that is the main thing. Please don't feel bad for not having a due date, believe me, even if you had one she would just throw it out the window and foal whenever she feels like it.
default_yes.gif
To get an idea of when they will foal last year I started testing my mares milk with Foal-Time test strips, they are very accurate and really easy to use, I just ordered a new pack on line and it cost $20 plus postage and it really is money well spent as it saves many sleepless nights.

Once again welcome
default_saludando.gif
from Renee in Italy

your little girl Mary is stunning, love that little head. Thanks Diane for posting the pics, and Ben for sending them to Diane. good teamwork
default_smile.png

yes the foaltime strips are amazing!! so accurate
default_smile.png
definitley worth the money
default_smile.png

Rowdy is quite handsome
default_smile.png
even in his dirty winter woolies hehe.

I'd say maybe a month... if she goes by the book until you see their gorgeous little foal...
default_smile.png

Hi Ben and Yes you are VERY welcome here, it is at your own risk though
default_smile.png
default_whistling.gif

Your horses are adorable and look great, perhaps a little on the tubby side but I can't talk cos mine are all just plain fat.
default_rolleyes.gif
They look loved and that is the main thing. Please don't feel bad for not having a due date, believe me, even if you had one she would just throw it out the window and foal whenever she feels like it.
default_yes.gif
To get an idea of when they will foal last year I started testing my mares milk with Foal-Time test strips, they are very accurate and really easy to use, I just ordered a new pack on line and it cost $20 plus postage and it really is money well spent as it saves many sleepless nights.

Once again welcome
default_saludando.gif
from Renee in Italy
Thanks Renee- I think I will be able to manage here
default_smile.png

Rowdy sure could lose a couple pounds- as soon as the rainy season is over (or at least when it calms down a bit) I'm going to get him on an exercise schedule and not let him eat to his hearts content all day long. Right now he gets turned out all day and is in a smaller pen with a shed at night- then I exercise him if it's nice, but it hasn't been for the last couple weeks so he has been plumpin up again
default_smile.png

I'm going to have to check out those foal strips and get me some!! Thanks for the info!

your little girl Mary is stunning, love that little head. Thanks Diane for posting the pics, and Ben for sending them to Diane. good teamwork
default_smile.png

yes the foaltime strips are amazing!! so accurate
default_smile.png
definitley worth the money
default_smile.png

Rowdy is quite handsome
default_smile.png
even in his dirty winter woolies hehe.

I'd say maybe a month... if she goes by the book until you see their gorgeous little foal...
default_smile.png
Thanks Cassie, I think Mary is pretty stunning too
default_smile.png
she loves her chin scratched, and always comes up and puts her head in my lap like a big puppy!

I'm definitely going to get some foaltime strips! I'll order them ASAP!

Rowdy really is a handsome guy- especially when he isn't all dirty. I haven't had him without his winter woollies yet, so I'm excited to see him slicked down! He sure could lose a few pounds though!

I really hope it is sooner than later, but I know I have no say in the matter- I'm just along for the ride haha
default_smile.png

Let's hope she follows the book as far as everything else goes.. Watching all these videos and reading about what can go wrong can really freak a guy out! At least this guy anyway..

I've been waiting to have a group of people who were really interested in this- and people who could stand me talking/obsessing about it until the foal comes!!

So I have to ask...

Any thoughts on colt/filly & color??

Ben I forgot to ask, where abouts in the world are you?
We are in the rainy state of Oregon!!

ok so first you need to do the nail test:

Get a nail, pull a hair out of her tail (just the one) tie the nail to the hair and hold it over her back/bum,

if it swings in circles it is a filly if it goes backwards and forwards it is a colt. As to colour I say sorrel pinto but I am rubbish at colours
default_new_rofl.gif

Hi Ben, Mary and Rowds - so glad to welcome you all here (oh and brother as he seems to be involved too!!)

You have a very nice pair of mini chips there Ben, Mary, especially, is a great type for a brood mare and should throw you a pretty baby.
default_yes.gif

It sounds as though you are getting things set up perfectly for Mary's foaling, just one thing - dont cut out her grass intake completely, grass is just the very best thing for a mare's digestion immediately after foaling and great for providing a good quality milk supply for baby.

I agree with Renee and the others, do try for the milk strips as they seem to be a great indicator of when a mare is very close to foaling. Having said that I admit that I dont use them - I'm old (bossy too, so they keep telling me!) and old fashioned and just use my eyesight (which is fast failing now!) and instinct with my mares!

Anyway once again welcome to the nutty nursery, I hope you get your internet sorted out before too long so that we can get a continuous supply of pics direct. (thanks Diane for stepping in. x)

ok so first you need to do the nail test:

Get a nail, pull a hair out of her tail (just the one) tie the nail to the hair and hold it over her back/bum,

if it swings in circles it is a filly if it goes backwards and forwards it is a colt. As to colour I say sorrel pinto but I am rubbish at colours
default_new_rofl.gif
I have been meaning to do the nail test!!

Hi Ben, Mary and Rowds - so glad to welcome you all here (oh and brother as he seems to be involved too!!)

You have a very nice pair of mini chips there Ben, Mary, especially, is a great type for a brood mare and should throw you a pretty baby.
default_yes.gif

It sounds as though you are getting things set up perfectly for Mary's foaling, just one thing - dont cut out her grass intake completely, grass is just the very best thing for a mare's digestion immediately after foaling and great for providing a good quality milk supply for baby.

I agree with Renee and the others, do try for the milk strips as they seem to be a great indicator of when a mare is very close to foaling. Having said that I admit that I dont use them - I'm old (bossy too, so they keep telling me!) and old fashioned and just use my eyesight (which is fast failing now!) and instinct with my mares!

Anyway once again welcome to the nutty nursery, I hope you get your internet sorted out before too long so that we can get a continuous supply of pics direct. (thanks Diane for stepping in. x)
Thanks for the welcome! It is so great to hear you that you think Mary is a good type for a brood mare
default_smile.png

I would love to let her just eat all the grass she wants, but I fear that it is fescue. And this has been my biggest worry the entire time. I'm not 100% sure that it is Fescue, but I don't want to risk it.

Thanks again for the welcome, I am really liking it here! I am going to get something figured out in the morning so I can get pictures posted....I am so excited to hear what you all think of her progression from the last pictures!

Can you check with an agricultural service (or maybe your vet would know) re possible fescue as I believe it is only one type that can cause trouble with pregnant mares. Or what about your lawn, could that be 'clear' - 10 to 20 minutes twice a day would just keep some grass going through her system so that once she foals she could start grazing in earnest? Sorry but I'm a grass fanatic!!

Welcome from CT!! You got my attention because my name is also Mary! I am in a bit of a hurry now because I have a mare very ready to foal (I hope) and a group of 4-Hers coming here this afternoon. Don't feel bad about not knowing the breeding date, because even with that information the mares can drive you nuts!!

Looking forward to more pics of your lovely mare! Love Rowdy too!

Mary

Oh what nice looking horses. Rowdy looks like an ornery one! The nail test is fun to see if it is correct, it was right for one of mine, still waitinv on Snowball to see about the next. There is a post on the main forum for posting results. Excited to see some more recent udder shots.

Can you check with an agricultural service (or maybe your vet would know) re possible fescue as I believe it is only one type that can cause trouble with pregnant mares. Or what about your lawn, could that be 'clear' - 10 to 20 minutes twice a day would just keep some grass going through her system so that once she foals she could start grazing in earnest? Sorry but I'm a grass fanatic!!
Well in all honesty, I didnt learn about the whole Fescue problem until about a month ago- so it is probably too late anyways. But I have been trying to keep her out of the pastures that have the most of it- because of your suggestion though, I am going to let her keep grazing in the small field next to our yard!!

She sure does love her grass
default_smile.png

Back