Mary's Pregnancy & Foaling Thread- SHE FOALED 5/22~~~FILLY~~~!!! New PICS pg 56

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh thank you Ben - Maybel is looking fabulous and I love the pics of those two happy little human faces!!
default_thumbup.gif

Glad to hear that you are ok - still tired though LOL!! Well if you can just take your eyes off Mary and Maybel for a short while, now that your busy weekend is over you COULD get some sleep!!!

Is that Murphy in one of the pics? How's he doing??

And dont forget we need REGULAR pictures and maybe a video?? PLEASE!!
default_yes.gif

That is Murphy's son Barney, my brothers dog, in the picture! He is very curious about little Maybel
default_smile.png

I will get some new pics of Murphy later today or tomorrow. He got his staples out on Friday and the doctor is pleased with how everything is looking. He gave the all clear for limited, supervised visits with his wife & son
default_smile.png
they all seem to be very happy to be back together
default_smile.png

I'll take some better pics of Maybel (and a video) when the sun comes out, which is supposed to be tomorrow and Wednesday. I want your opinions on her front legs, and color!

I think she is going to be the color of Mary, with a dark mane with white on the end and a mixed tail. She has a very dark stripe on her back, just like Mary. She has two front stockings with black hooves on all four- except her front white hoof has a white stripe right in the middle.

Ok, now I am really going to try and get some rest- after I got on and checked on everyone I felt like sitting out with my girls for a while
default_smile.png

Mabel is beautiful Ben!! Wow!! She looks as sweet as she is pretty too. Have you measured her cannon bone yet?

Thanks everyone
default_smile.png
I think she is pretty darn cute- definitely a keeper.

I plan on getting her out in the yard tomorrow and get some good pictures and videos of her.

I'm really curious to hear what you all think of her color and legs- so lets hear it! I just love her so I don't care, but I would love to hear
default_smile.png

She's so cute.

She sure looks regular bay in those pictures. [The black legs will come with time.]

To me also, a bay. But with those white stockings, she may only get the black knees and not the "regular" black stockings !! She's so cute!
The pictures look a bit overexposed on my computer, so I had to go back and look again, the first time it just looked like baby fuzz colored legs; but now I can see at least two stocking legs, but the one looks like baby fuzz coloring rather than white.

I thought she was bay- but when she is nursing or just standing next to Mary, their colors look the same. Plus Maybel has that really dark stripe, just like Mary.

Maybel does have two white stockings on her front legs. The back legs don't have stockings. Her front right hoof is the only one with white- it has a single white stripe in the middle- all other hooves are black.

Mane is black until it reaches her withers where it is white. Tail is mixed- black in the middle, lots of white on the edges and a few reddish/brown hairs on the top.

So- if she is a bay, she will get the black knees like her dad?

If she is a chestnut, like Mary- will that dark stripe down we back stay?

I'm convinced she is bay
default_smile.png
She just doesn't have enough red tones in her coat to be a chestnut and the black in her mane is a dead give away. The white in the mane and tail plus the white stockings are caused by her tobiano pattern. A lot of the extra white on her legs and face (and possibly her dorsal stripe) are caused by foal countershading which she will grow out of.

An example of foal shading and the same horse a year on:

Day 01 (13).jpg

Derbya.jpg

Even though it's a winter coat you can see how most of the white on his legs has vanished leavign behind the crisper lines of his permanent tobiano leg markings. You can also see the black above his socks has appeared and you can even spot it above the stocking.

Latest posts

Back