Mary's Pregnancy & Foaling Thread- SHE FOALED 5/22~~~FILLY~~~!!! New PICS pg 56

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
HOORAY!!! MANY CONGRATULATIONS BEN and WELL DONE MARY!!
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp
default_thumbup.gif
:ThumbUp
default_thumbup.gif

It sounds as though Mary is behaving just like a normal new Momma - lots of mine squeak when baby first gets near the udder. Not sure how to work out the time differences, but a lot of babies can take up to 6 hours to find the teats and nurse, some even longer, and seriously it is not a problem. As long as baby is strong and continues to search regularly, then dont worry (even Dr. Taylor confirmed this!) Unless baby is weak or has some other problem, they are actually better left without human 'assistance' to find their own way naturally to the milk bar and to bond properly with their Mommas. And I'm sure your new little one will poop given time, I know most folk favour an enema, but in 40 odd years of breeding I have never had to give one! I really hate the fact that baby gets to be grabbed and human handled in those first precious hours with it's Momma, unless it is really necessary. Just my opinion!!

Dont forget to give Mary her dose of Ivermectin wormer within about 12 hours of foaling. And yes, keep that stall well bedded up with plenty of straw as it will help to keep baby warn when she lays down for a snooze.

See, I did tell you to leave it to Mary - she knew exactly when her new little daughter was ready to be born!
default_yes.gif

Again - many congratulations - cant wait for loads of new pictures!!

Great that she has found the milk bar!! That's a brilliant name Renee, what do you think Ben?

And adding to my last post plus answering your question Ben - yes, if all seems good in the next hour, then by all means get some sleep - bet you will be awake and up in a bound in a few hours though, the excitement never lets you sleep for long. LOL!!

Thanks Anna! She has found the milk bar now
default_smile.png

I haven't interfered, beyond helping break the sac and other necessary things.

Glad to hear your stance on enemas, gives me reassurance in waiting.

Renee- I like it! Good place to start, keep them coming!
default_smile.png

I know this isn't possible, but when I just checked in on them with a better flashlight she looked buckskin. So maybe she is a lighter bay or something? Tomorrow, and time, will tell.

I can't wait to see her in the day light! I hope it isn't pouring rain all day so I can let them out! I plan to anyways because Mary doesn't like being confined, so I figure if they have access to shelter it should be good.

I'm WIDE awake! I wish I could go in there and cuddle with her and give Mary some scratches- she deserves an award for this one
default_smile.png

I also wish there were some people awake to see my beautiful filly and keep me entertained! Haha
default_smile.png

Well done!

Looks like classic bay tobiano to me
default_smile.png
Can't wait to see dry pictures!

Ok i set an alarm/reminder to worm Mary with Ivermectin at 9am tomorrow morning- that is 11hours after she foaled. Which is good enough right? I just don't want to upset/disrupt her right now, or go find the wormer in the barn haha. But I will if you think I should do it now. Otherwise I will wait until tomorrow.

It would be great if someone would ask/remind me if I wormed her in the morning
default_smile.png

I'm excited and in a daze so sorry for the rant!

Here is a dry pic- I couldn't resist checking in on them. She was sleeping next to her mom, they not go up and she had a nice drink then they laid back down.

They are pretty much cuddling in a ton of straw- like literally a ton, haha. No not that much, but I wanted her to stay warm so I put quite a bit in there. I might even put more in tomorrow if she needs it.

Haven't noticed a poop yet- when should I get concerned? Like what signs should I be watching for, etc?

Anyways, here's a pic. I'll definitely be posting more tomorrow
default_smile.png

2d01d9cb.jpg

Now I wish I had a couple more mares due to foal
default_smile.png

Don't worry Ben we will remind you
default_smile.png
if you need me you can text me even if it is just to chat. Iam out and the connection isn't great.

Don't worry Ben we will remind you
default_smile.png
if you need me you can text me even if it is just to chat. Iam out and the connection isn't great.
Thanks Renee
default_smile.png

I just peeked in on mom and baby and they are sleeping soundly.

I'm going to try and sleep for a couple hours- in the car of course so I can check on them easier. I will go peek in when I wake up around 5-6, then let them out around 8-9.

Night all
default_smile.png

I forgot to say thanks for all the support, advice and entertainment!! I wouldn't have made it through this as calmly or educated without you ladies!!
default_smile.png

CONGRATULATIONS!!! YAY!!!
default_thumbup.gif
She is wonderful!!

Congrats! Cute little filly.

Guess that means its my turn next for a foal.
default_wink.png

Oh Ben She is beautiful!!!! Congratulations on the filly! Glad it went easy and safely and baby and momma are doing good! Now you can enjoy some rest as well
default_smile.png

I dreamed about your little girl all night. I'll probably need a nap later then I woke Michael up when I came

to bed to tell him.

Did you sleep at all?? .... It's such a high when it takes place but trust me it will be the very same

each time you go thru it with one of your mares. .

The waiting waiting waiting and then the adrenaline rush when it happens that takes days to go away.

She looks like an Oreo cookie with her white frosting in the middle.....such a cute marking.

How are they doing now you've the light of morning to gaze on them??

Hope the rain stays away but that deep straw will give her a warm bed to rest in.

Thanks everyone! Mary did (and is doing) an excellent job on/with this one!!
default_smile.png

Little filly (Maybel? Not totally set on it yet) is nursing away while momma eats her mushy breakfast
default_smile.png

I wormed Mary this morning by the way.

I did manage to get a few hours of good sleep in, but every time I woke up I was wide awake and just had to go check on my girls
default_smile.png

I've bedded the stall down more with straw, but she seems to be staying rather warm. If it decides to start seriously raining I am going to go buy a foal blanket at the feed store- they have dog blankets that would work perfect for a mini.

Since it isnt raining (right now anyways) I was thinking of opening the door on the stall....what do you think? Too soon?

No I think you will be fine to open the doorwatch to make sur Maybel follows Mary ok. Oh and we demand dry pics
default_smile.png

Back