Mary's Pregnancy & Foaling Thread- SHE FOALED 5/22~~~FILLY~~~!!! New PICS pg 56

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I opened the door- and I dont think Maybel following Mary is a problem, it's the other way around! Maybel bolted right out the door and Mary chased after and herded her back in.

I think I'll leave them in for another day, or at least for a couple more hours.

I know many, if not most, of you always have the vet out to check on mom and baby the morning after....but I'm just wondering if that is totally necessary?

Everything seems good. The only thing is I haven't seen her poop, but I haven't seen her strain either.

Just wondering- I am going to call the bet anyways, I just wanted to hear all your opinions. With having just put Murphy through spinal surgery, vet funds are a little low- so it would be nice to save for any unexpected emergencies.

Ben, if it isn't raining, then just leave the door open - it is great for Mary to be able to get out and have a roll and for the little one to be able to stretch her legs, it is so good for her little system to be able to take exercise at her own pace. What we dont want is for Mary to decide she doesn't like being cooped up and taking off for a mad dash round when you let her out - not good for babies to rush after over excited Mommas, babies should do the running about in their own time!
default_yes.gif

Sorry Ben - posting at the same time as you. Of course if you are worried about baby's behaviour in any way, you should call the vet. Not sure how many hour's old she is now, but if she is drinking and scampering about, then I think you will find that with a good search of the bedding she has already pooped. She would be showing signs of straining or even colic by now if she had some sort of blockage. So go and have a hands and knees search over every inch of the stall before you panic!!

I really need some name suggestions. I don't really have to use her parents names, but they are

CCF Rowdy Little Streaker

&

Haneys Golden Mariah

I really like the name Mabel, or Maybel, but I don't know how to incorporate it- plus I would like to hear some other suggestions.

WOW!!!! She is so lovely & I really like her markings! So glad everything went well for you!!!

Since you like the name Mabel what if you called her "Maybe It's Mabeline" like the slogan for Maybelline New York makeup!
default_smile.png

When Smokey first pooped the only way I noticed the little poo was finding it stuck on the bottom of my shoe! haha

Congrats!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
She is just beautiful!! As for color, that is a good question. She just might be a really light bay. They can have so many shades of different colors when they are born and as mentioned before, to be a buckskin one of the parents have to carry a creme gene. I am so glad Mary and baby are doing so well. Have you seen her pass meconium yet?

I am the opposite opinion of many here in that I run IgG on all my foals. I just think it is a cheap investment of assurance. It is probably because I come from the large horse performance world and because our foals are so valuable at birth IgG tests are very common and of standard practice. I used to have the vet come and do mine when I only had one or two foals a year, but with more I order my own test kits and run my own here at home. This is a decision you have to make. In my years of breeding and foaling I have only had one failure and a handful of borderline IgG's results, but all foals appeared to be normal in every way at the point of testing and one would have not known of the poor test results until a foal was stricken with something later. The odds are, if you vaccinated Mary 4 weeks prior to foaling your baby girl will be fine but it is a decision you have to make.

I can not wait to see more and more pictures of Mary and Baby! I am sure you will provide us with many, right?? (hint hint)

Ok so I called the vet, and just to be safe they are going to come out and see mom and baby today. They can't make it out for another five hours, but there is no immediate rush so that's not a problem.

They will examine Mary, Maybel & the placenta and do an IgG on lil Maybel to make sure all is well. It is a lot cheaper than I was thinking, should only be $100 for everything so I figured might as well have some piece of mind
default_smile.png

I went and got Maybel a halter and a lead rope, pink of course. I also bought her a blanket because it really started raining here and she was still shivering. I won't leave it on too long, and check her often. I just don't want her getting cold AND WET with all this awful rain.

I do have another question- she has boogery eyes, more so her left eye than the other. Normal?

I has the door opened and Mary is keeping Maybel inside still. Much to maybels dismay haha
default_smile.png

Here are the latest pics
default_smile.png

b6821cc6.jpg

2ab2a47d.jpg

8243ed97.jpg

018b7f66.jpg

11a976e1.jpg

Ben she is darling....tell me the truth did you did you buy a PINK AND A BLUE little coat just in case....you sure were ready!!! I love it!! Shes such a little diva already.

PS I will now send my mares to you when they foal.......you vet is giving you an excellent price IMO....wish I could have him in Florida!!

Congratulations.

Did you already just gently wipe her closed eye with damp towel...how about little eyelashes, maybe she has one flipped up in the eye lid?

Good point Heidi
default_smile.png
Ben check her little eyelashes aren't turned under and as Heidi said wipe them gently with warm water.

Thanks Heidi, and Renee!

I just wiped her eyes off with a warm wet washcloth an made sure her eyelids weren't turned in. Seems normal, but I'll make sure to have the vet look.

I honestly just went and bought the pink blanket- luckily my feed store sells dog coats that are perfectly sized for mini foals
default_smile.png
she isn't too warm under there, just the right temp- so ill leave it on for a little longer, the rain is coming down again too.

The vet will be out in about three to four hours, I'll update when they leave.

What a beautiful filly! And I love her little pink blankie. I wish those were available here. Congratulations on the precious Maybel!

Ben, CONGRATULATIONS on your beautiful, colorful filly! She is just stunning, and I love her color! The pink blanket is adorable too! I'll look forward to seeing more pictures of her!

Thanks
default_smile.png
I think she likes her pink blankie too
default_smile.png

Just waiting on the vet....

Mary has been looking out the door, contemplating whether or not she wants to go out. Right now the rain stopped and the clouds parted, so it would be a great first outing!

Just watched Maybel pee and poop- everything seems to be going great!

She likes scratches, but isn't totally warmed up to me yet. She walks right up and doesn't mind brin pet all over, but she has to come to you. I'm fine with that, and I'm sure she will get friendlier every day
default_smile.png

Oh Ben she is just gorgeous - and that's a very pretty blankie for a very pretty little girl.
default_yes.gif

With the blanket, just make sure the 'strap' under her tummy stays 'firmly' against her - not tight of course - so that there is no danger of her tucking one of her back legs through it when laying down, you dont need her trying to hop around with one back foot caught up in her blanket!

I'm sure the vets will find that everything is just fine, but it will be good to do a quick check on her eye.

Hoping for more pictures tomorrow - also I must say how wonderful Mary is being - for a mare who prefers standing ouside in all weathers, she is certainly happy to keep her new daughter inside out of the wet, bless her, what a good girl!
default_hypocrite.gif

Just went and checked in on the girls and Maybel has pooped again. It started raining again so I put her blankie back on. The door is open, and she walks out occasionally but Mary always herds her back in.

Vet won't be out for another hour or two. I'm relieved she has pooped, now I just want them to check the placenta.

Where have you got the placenta? I store mine in a bucket of cold water inside my laundry.. out of reach of the cats!
default_new_rofl.gif
But being in the water also prevents it from drying out and sticking to itself which can cause tears when you unfold it to look at it with the vet.

Where have you got the placenta? I store mine in a bucket of cold water inside my laundry.. out of reach of the cats!
default_new_rofl.gif
But being in the water also prevents it from drying out and sticking to itself which can cause tears when you unfold it to look at it with the vet.
I have it in a bag with water in it. Gross, but it works haha.

Latest posts

Back