jj in foal? new mares pictures/soon jewel too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Oh no!! Will be praying for you and your little one.
default_pray.gif

Sending prayers and hoping everything will be ok - well done you for noticing that something wasn't right.
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

I think I've read through the entire thread looking for a phone number and couldn't find one. Thought maybe I could call and help her gather the information for the vet or help her in some way.

Hoping baby is going to be fine -- and hoping she's only having a reaction maybe to the tetanus shot, or something.

Praying there is no sepsis going on -- this is one beautiful little girl, and I'm hoping the vet arrives quickly, or they can get her there fast!

default_pray.gif

I am worried sick about this wee one.....
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Last edited:
Thanks for checking. I literally feel sick. I have told how my vet retired. Only other vet I am familiar with is the one I called.

I should have just had them come here....but thought ..yeah..cheapo...that I would save the vet call. I drove 1 1/2 to retreive my trailer. then loaded up mom and baby on lots of bedding and went the 30 miles to the vet. IAll went well .

Had a vet I am not familiar with. Took blood levels and she got really good colostrun. no temp. But stoll on thermometer was definetly not good.

she comes back..gives banamine, metronozole( cant spell it same as flagyl) and peniciilin. Says she obviously has a bacterial infection. I asked about costridi whatever it is...she said kind of young for that but that the meds would treat that as well. Of course I knew the treatment was flagyl..She said the next 48 hours are critical.

so i unload momomma and carry baby in to the corral. Put baby dpown and granddaughter says why is she walking on her leg so funny.

she is running but her hoof has flipped all the way knuckled and she is walking on the joint above with her little hoof back. As in i can see thre undersid eof her hoof by standing behind her.

I firmly believe she was not injured in the trailer. I believe something happened when she got her shots.there is no swelling..no obvious pain..just a knuckled hoof

have a call to vet and am waiting.. i do swear..I am nauseas

I did bed trailer..drove very carefully and had mom and bae loose.

PM me your phone number and I'd love to talk with you if you'd like. My phone number is: 863-990-3210 if you'd rather.

Last edited:
Crisco Please call Diane, I am sure she can help and at least give you moral support.

thank you

talked to Diane. Such a help:>)

talked to vet..who says it is from getting to close to the sciatic nerve ( what I suspected) and that it SHOULD be better in a day or 2.

Mom and baby stalled in small stall..closed off the part I opened. deeply bedded so that she wont tear her top of foot up

Now will look for solid no blood poop and a leg that works. Please continue prayers for Onyx

You would think a vet would know basics of giving a shot??

You are doing a great job taking care of them! Yes, I have come to find that the vet around here just seem to not "care". I try to be my own "vet" most of the time and don't even give shots anyway more when they almost killed my mini Sunny. My horses don't leave my farm anyway so there is no need for them. But in a case like yours she needed the meds. I'm so sorry this is happining, and I bet with the care your taking she recovers!

update....

whew

fast good news. Onyx's leg is almost normal. she is using it normally with just an occasional buckle. Prayers working!

i know she is on banamine and it makes her feel a little better but she just gave her momma 3 good kicks! THAT is the little girl that hit the floor running night before last.

I am very hopeful..thank you all for the suport. I sure neede dit this afternoon

We are here for you so don't worry about that and I am praying like mad for her. I am glad she is starting to walk better, that is one less thing to worry about. I am sure she is going to be fine thanks to your quick intervention. Well done for being so on the ball.

Sounds just PERFECT!!!!! She'll be getting LOTS OF PRAYERS until we know she is completely healthy again!!!
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

VERY EXCITING to hear such a speedy turn-around for her little leg!!

So good to hear things starting to get better for the little girl. Sending prayers that the healing continues
default_smile.png

I'm one of those older ladies that only sign on when I have a good reason, this was one of those times. I'm happy to hear that the baby is improving and prayers are working.

thankyou

leg is flopping last time I was out there..But I saw it standing upright the time before so I am pretty sure it will come back. will be keeping a close eye on her and if you don't hear anything from me..she is fine. The only benefit to this new vet is they have 24 /7 staffing....and 7 vets. Think I may be trying out another of them.Of cours eif the meds she gave me saves Onyx..and we have no problems with her leg..I will probably forgive her. Thanks to Diane..we will bebreaking Drs orders and doing banamine by mouth:>) Too bad i can't do the Pen g that way

Oh wow. So sorry that you are going through this. I hope you can keep your strength up. I am so glad yo were able to call Diane. This is so special that people care like this so much that they are available to help. What a great encouragement of kindness this is. I just feel for you to have all this happen and drain your excitement out. So many things can go wrong with these little ones. .. so hard .. but if its an infection.. acting promptly is just what you did and thankfully got on top of that. Oh wow..hope your night goes ok.

Latest posts

Back