jj in foal? new mares pictures/soon jewel too!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Diane will certainly be able to advise you about ulcer meds as there are several different types, plus I think you can use some human ones, but not sure what is best for a foal of her tender age. I am thinking that perhaps the dark smelly poo is the combind result of the infection and the meds? The fact that it is soft and that she is not having to strain to pass it is good. I also think that it sounds as though she is getting enough 'food', but do do a quick skin and gum test, as suggested by Renee, to keep a close eye out for dehydration and/or any circulation problems.

Keep Jewel on her mushy feed and possibly pick her some grass while she is being kept 'contained' just as a precaution against colic, and when things are ok again and you are ready to let them both out, I would suggest keeping Jewel on a lead rope for a couple of days or so, letting her graze in hand as she may want to take off for a good run round after being stalled - not good for little Onyx as she will be lacking in energy and feeling a bit below par having had an infection. Just take it carefully for a few days.

Still sending prayers, look after yourself, you are doing a fabulous job under very difficult and stressful circumstnaces. Good luck!

OTC you can use maylox, tagament, or phillipps milk of magnizia if you think she is stopped up. Keep all water away from her as you want her to nurse only. You can offer a little grain or let her eat Moms hay. Keep an eye on her temp., anything over 101 for any length of time should be told to your vet. As Renee recommended keep an eye on her gum color. Also watch for any swelling or dribbling from her stump. Any lameness needs to be reported ASAP. I'm actually amazed mthat your vet prescripted penn, instead of something else, but each bateria has its own fight. It is thick and hard to inject. with the dose of banimine, make sure it is just a tiny amount, about the size of a Q tip on the edge of your finger and no more, put it on your finger, do not put the syringe in the foals mouth; and it should not be given for much time at all, just a day or so, then reduced unless your vet advises otherwise. Some vets are just not used to minis, and it is so different then the big guys.

Sorry for the second post, but you should know, since her resestence is low, do not leave her outside in any bad weather, and that includes the bright sunshine, for any length of time, they will lay in the sun and their temp will go up as well as respiration. Good luck.

Oh my.. hoping you are doing ok today with so much happening at once. I'm thinking you were able to contact someone for help.

uipdate on our lil onyx..

Jewels milk has gone down. I decreased her feed just a little bit..and milked 1/2 cup yesterday when she was so tight. Onyx is drinking very good.i was out cleaning the stall and she latched and sucked well several times. I do not think Jewel is squirting anymore.

Onyx remains very strong. She is peeing well.I did not see a poop.I will do the skin test and mm check today. but as long as i see nice diluted pee I am happy.

She just doesn't act at all like a sick foal. Continues to be very fiesty.very happy!
default_thumbup.gif

i have no pictures today but these were taken on vet day.The foal blanket is a meduim dog coat. I cut the front and replaced with velcoe..so now i dont have to worry when I am not right there. AND I actually slept inmy house last night! She had checks at 1 am and 6 am..and she was fine with out me, Blessed sleep!

onyx.jpg

onyxa.jpg

onyxc.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
She's got wonderful long legs, and looks to be a tall girl when standing next to her momma!

So glad she's continuing to improve!!

Thank you for the update, it sounds as though she is really making good progress. She looks very cute in her dog blankie!
default_hypocrite.gif

Thanks for updating us. I am so glad she is holding strong, well done, you are doing a great job. She is adorable and looks so cute in her pj's. She looks about the right size to me
default_thumbup.gif

I let onyx and jewel out today. baby seems to have a lot of gas..and I havenot seen a poop..so figured a little play time couldnthurt. Boy can she move..have some awsome video of her. Heres a puicture for you all. She continues to do well..a lil worried about no poo and gas. ..otherwise doing awsome

JEWELC.JPG

ONYXXXXX.JPG

Soooooo sweet!!!!!

I'd let the vet know tomorrow if she is having lots of gas. We don't want her to get a gas colic -- so perhaps a little Milk of Magnesia will help stimulate her bowel. Baby poops are REALLY hard to find, so maybe you've just missed them. After her ordeal, she may not have a lot to poop out, maybe just one little apple -- very easy to miss. But it doesn't hurt to let the vet know if she's passing lots of gas and you're sure there is no poop.

Praying for her continued recovery! She's just beautiful !! Momma did a wonderful job on making such a lovely little one!

Oh she is adorable
default_smile.png
I am glad the weather was good enough for then to get some fresh air. As Diane said baby poop is hard to find but it is a good idea to let the vet know if she is having gas, they will give her something to relieve the pain

poopat5days.jpg ok guys...here is the long awaited poop . I am pretty sure this is not what a 5 day old foals poo is supposed to look like. It does look more formed at least so that is good. .Before vet and meds it is was blood and mucous.

She is on pen g, metronlzole, yogurt, and pepto, what do u all think? the white thing is a glove so you can see better the color..

Last edited by a moderator:
wow, there is a lot of it for such a young foal. Was this today? I imagine the dark colour is due to the meds she is taking. As long as she is happy and full of energy I wouldn't worry too much. What does your vet say?

this is from today..I think maybe she is not going regularly as it has been awhile since i saw any poo from her. It was black and tarry before she started any meds. Vet figures its blood. but is an improvement form red and mucous stool

Latest posts

Back