Hello from a newbie!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No baby.... She isn't really showing any labor signs so I went inside and had a nap... Been out to check on her every hour but she is just standing quietly. Three poops in the past two hours...all still firm little apples. Think I will attempt the milk test again.

Got the test done...now just need to know what it means! The calcium indicator jumps from 250 to 1000...it tested to be 250 so im guessing that means it is actually somewhere between the two? The ph colors for 7.2 & 7.8 are very similar and it is sort of between the two. What does all this mean...i dont know! The site I went to for instruction just said calcium over 300 and ph under7.2 means a foal very soon... Meanwhile my silly mare is standing here munching hay!

did you have a look at the crayonbox miniatures site, it is amazing!

Have looked at her site before (and it is awesome) but forgot she give milk test instructions....checked it out again and she says mix with 3ccs d. Water........other site says 6cc. Wonder if that makes a huge difference? Probably need to try again?

No need to test again, the ratio of dilution is the same, you can do either 3cc or 6cc of distilled water. Good luck, hope she "pops" soon for you!

Thanks Kim! She has another poop in her stall now. Not a cow pie but softer and about half the "apples" are sort of broken up.

Looks like everyone is playing the waiting game - it seems never ending at the moment lol

Goodness, dont go telling her about Suzie and Peanut, she might get ideas! LOL!!
default_rolleyes.gif

LOL...I have been watching peanut and suzie's threads...i think these girls are just teasing us! Peanut and Darla both acted like they were in heavy labor night before last, and then last night nothing. Darla laid down and slept all night. I am adding more new pics from this morning. Very foggy at my house today. Her belly is still very tucked up (thats the only way i can think to describe it). She was very happy to get out of her stall this morning. Little bit of pawing, stretching, and belly biting (as you can see in the pic) She hasnt been yawning much any more. Wednesday night she pretty much yawned continuosly all night long.

001.jpg

002.jpg

003.jpg

004.jpg

Hi! These are pics of Darla the day that she came to my house. They were taken two weeks ago tomorrow. I just wanted to see them side by side so I can compare!

0001.jpg

0002.jpg

Just went by to check on my girl....no change. Still happily eating grass in the pasture. I did find another poo that was sort of soft and loose....not a cow pie tho.

"calcium over 300 and ph under7.2 means a foal very soon"

Mind you test strips are not !00% fool proof but normally I am glued to the screen when my guys hit Hardness of 300 and/or PH of 6.6 or lower. Watch that PH very closely as it can drop really quick, and is a good indication of foaling in MOST mares... but not all of course! Have only had one mare that did not change at all in her testing and foaled at a hardness of 250 and PH of 7.5, that was VERY odd and VERY unexpected.
default_wacko.png

Darla is way too grumpy for a milk test....not worth fighting with her over. She has hay that she is totally ignoring, almost continuous yawning, lots of pacing and booty rubbing. I moved my chair to a small shed accross the yard and left the barn lights on low. As soon as it gets darker I should be able to see her but she won't be able to see me.

Oh....and I found out that she was bred by a leopard appaloosa. Appys are my fav!

Well... I came inside for some dinner and now she is just standing quietly. it is about to come a big storm though.

Well done for moving out of sight
aktion033.gif
and super dooper about daddy
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
aktion033.gif
I just love spots
yes.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
still no spotted baby for me... but her vulva is so loose it is literally gaping open at the top, and if it is possible her bag is even fuller!!!!! and even grumpier today than yesterday...

I cant wait to see pictures of your baby when it gets here - what with your mare's unusual markings plus an Appy sire................most exciting!!

I will definitely start a new thread... but my internet is still down. I will have to beg someone to post pics for me! lightning struck my house a couple of weeks ago, killed all 3 of my televisions and took out my cable and internet! they fixed the cable but still working on the internet... and I can't figure out how to post pics from my phone! I will start a new thread when the time comes and beg for help then!

Back