Hello from a newbie!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@bannerminis....me too!! I'm not exactly the world's most patient person and the waiting and watching is killing me!!!

@helicopter.. maybe not 22....i don't have enough pasture for THAT many!!!

but seriously it has been 10 years since I foaled a mare and that was a big quarter horse mare that I wasn't all that worried about...if you guys had to make just a guess at how much longer she would go what would u say?!? Opinions anybody....please?

Well I just put Darla in her stall for the night...i figured that I will probably be out there most of the night anyway so I might as well try it! She was doing alot of booty scratching and belly biting earlier. Now she is just standing around and yawning pretty much non stop....and I am watching and waiting.

Update... I have been in the barn all night witj her and she had been pacing/ stretching/ yawning/pawing/ booty scratching/side nudging almost nonstop....and now I'm about to get a nice little thunderstorm!!!! Maybe she take this opportunity and make some magic happen!

Well done for getting her into an enclosed, sheltered place. Mares can be very 'funny' when they foal, walking away from you, hiding themselves away etc, so not that easy to get close enough to help them if they are out in an open field. Also if they should need help, either from you or a vet, this would be near impossible by torchlight in an open space!

Another point you may well not have considered, is how this mare is going to react once she has her baby. You have not had her long and she may well become very protective towards her new child - however sweet and kind she seems now. So be careful when around her/close to her, especially where any young children are concerned. The new baby DOES BELONG to its Momma and she may be a bit possessive for a few days, so a little understanding, patience and keeping visitors at a distance at this time will work wonders and she will soon return to her normal sweet self. The foal too needs this time to bond with its Momma - foals go by smell not by sight when they are this young, and it will need to get used to its Momma's smell, not get confused by lots of human 'smells' right from the word go!

By the way, when you have her in for the night, does she have plenty of nice leafy hay to eat (minis shouldn't have 'stalky' types of hay), she needs to keep 'trickle' feeding during the night, just as she would be doing on the grass during the day.

Hope she doesn't keep you waiting too long for this baby!

Yup...plenty of hay to nibble on! Poor little girl..the way sheis standing I am seeing her silhouette. Her poor little teats are so strutted (dont know of that is the correct word for a horse, but it's what I would call it on a goat) They are sticking out so far they look like a sheath!

Not long now then! Keep watching and .................
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Crazy mare...she had me all excited all night long with her antics, then about 3 or so this morning she just lays down and takes a nap. I fell asleep too...in the barn in the most uncomfortable chair in the world! She woke up this morning and went back to yawning and belly nudging. I let her out and she went straight out and started eating grass. It is supposed to storm most of the day today....maybe that will help. My quarter horses always seemed to foal when it rained. I am at work for a bit this morning, but planning on going back home soon! I am adding more pics that I took this morning. She has gotten very grumpy about being touched anywhere from the flanks on back...so no pics of her udder or vulva. She gets mad and starts dancing around everytime i try and then the pic is just all blurry anyway. I havent been checking her milk because it was white and sweet. I decided to check again this morning. It was VERY thick and almost jelly like..and a yellowish color...so i gave one more tiny sqeeze and it went back to the regular white. Here are the pics...let me know what yall think! Thanks ~Jess

PS in a couple of the pics you can see one of the "pinto chicken" culprits in the background LOL

01.jpg

02.jpg

06.jpg

05.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg

I know!!! Poor girl...i know thats gotta hurt!!! I remember how it felt after my daughter was born! Her belly looks smaller to me this morning...what do yall think??? Am i just crazy?

I was just going back to look if had posted some side view photos before to compare. She does look small today, maybe the baby is already in the passage?

Is someone at home watching her bc several of my girls will foal in the day in the pasture?

I just came to work this morning to hand out a few assignments that i need done today and to leave a couple of things with our secretary so that someone can pick them up. Headed home in a few!

She does look like a boy in those pics because of her bag! Hope you can get home to watch her soon. Good luck!

welcome and good luck!! Maidens can be tricky lol Had one foal 2 weeks ago during the day, was outside feeding apples and went in for a few minutes and came back outside and she was foaling lol. Several have foaled during the day this year so watch out. She does look close and as tricky as maidens are I'd have my eyes peeled. She's a cutie
default_wub.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Ashley! I made it back home. Back to waiting and watching...but at least now I have a large caramel mocha to keep me company

Oh yes! That baby has turned and is in getting ready to dive out position!

She's going to foal ANY TIME!!!
default_new_shocked.gif

Good luck!!

When I left this morning she was out in the pasture grazing...when I got back home she had returned to her stall. She isjust standing in her stall in front of the fan now. Just stretching occasionally. I will updateif anything changes!

Latest posts

Back