Hello from a newbie!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
She just walked outside to scratch her booty on the fence....should I close her back up in her stall? And also I just noticed that her nose is a little runny...only on one side and it is clear. Anybody got any ideas what that could be about? And also I want to thank everyone again for all of the advice and input!

If you can watch her I would leave her for a while and see what she does. No ideas about the runny nose sorry.

Are you able to get some of the milk testing strips??

I believe the pool strips work too although someone else here would be better able to help tell you would use them.

It might help you if you know what way her milk is changing

I'm sure I could get the pool strips at walmart, but it would take a good 45min-1hour....and I dont want to leave her! May try to go when the hubby gets home!

I have been hesitant to lock her in the stall when im not there with her. It is really just a temporary stall that I put up when I realized that she was bred and getting close. our barn is the old hen house ( and when I say old I mean really old...but really well built. my house is 160 years old, and the hen house has been there a long time too) it is an approx 8x20 roomthat we use for feed and tack

You must be very careful with that. HOrses can get salmonella from chickens. I know of somebody that had used a old chicken coupe for shelter and lost 2 big draft crosses because of it.

Hadn't considered that...the part she is in isn't where the chickens stayed..my hens do roost in there, but not in the part where her stall is.

She is standing quietly in her stall, just an ooccasional stretch. She does have alot of clear discharge again. It is lightly raining and I hear thunder in the distance...probably about to get another storm.

Wow I picked a good time to check the board, haven't been here in a while. Good luck with your new girl, can't wait to hear all about her baby!

Now I'll be checking this every 5 minutes!
default_laugh.png

Hubby came home from work and let me take a nice little 2hr nap..wich was great comsidering that I only got about an hour of sleep last night in the barn in the worlds most uncomfortable chair! Miss Darla is quietly standing in the barn (it is coming a storm) she is doing alot of stomping and side nudging. She was outside grazing and stomping an rolling when I laid down. My chair was of course positioned under the one roof leak so now it is wet as well... It is enjoying

Its title of worlds most uncomfortable chair i think.. and again I am watching and waiting

Oh I hope she doesnt keep you waiting too long but these minis DO NOT read the foaling manual especially the maidens, they seem to have their own secret handbook that they keep for themselves
default_biggrin.png

Lol...as soon as I woke up hubby went to visit his mom (she has terminal cancer) when he comes back I am going to look for pool test strips. It wouldnt be so bad if I had a barn cam.... and I use to have 1, I went to my exhusbands house to borrow it.....he never uses it (he just has the daughter of his old western pleasure mare and one of my favorite old mares from when I was a kid that my daughter claims now) went to get it out of the barn and squirrels had eaten the darn thing!!!

Sorry to hear that your husbands Mum is so ill and terminal. Must be very hard for the family.

I hope you can get your pool strips but someone else will have to advise you on the results I'm afraid as I have never used them. But I am sure if you do a search on here you will get info on it.

You might get lucky and find a barn cam in Walmart too LOL

Thank you for your well wishes for my mil...she is a wonderful lady. the doctors gave her 3 months to live.. that was 2 years ago she has faith that the Lord will see her thru until He decides to call her home. They have recently told her 3 months again.... we are looking forward to another 2 years with her! I think I will go ahead and look up how to use the strips so I will be ready!

I wouldn't worry about 'prodding' her around right now if she's feeling grumpy, plus I have the feeling that you might be seeing a foal BEFORE you can get any strips to do a milk test! LOL!!

You obviously have not had time to get a 'foaling pack' together, so can I just suggest a couple of essentials. Have you got an iodine mix solution? You will need this to dip the end of the foals cord in as soon as the cord breaks, to help prevent any infections from the floor/ground getting into the open wound.

Next, some thin strong thread, preferably dipped into the above iodine mix to disinfect it, and a pair of scissors - if your girl gets up quickly after foaling or shows signs that she's about to and the foals cord doesn't break naturally, then you will need to cut it about 2-3" from the foals body and tie the end tightly with the thread to prevent any bleeding. This is one of the reasons why it is important for your mare to foal inside if at all possible - not too easy to catch a foal outside once it is up on its feet to get the cord 'dipped'.

Immediately after your girl foals (and you have cleared the bag from the foals head and had a quick sneaky peek at its sex!) try to ease the foal round a little way so the mare can sniff its nose and welcome it. Hopefully she will then stay laying down for a short while which will let all the extra blood transfer from her to the foal before the cord breaks. If you are lucky she will stay where she is for several minutes and not get up until the foal starts wriggling and trying to rise. This is usually when the cord breaks naturally and you can quickly dip it. Just watch the mare doesn't knock the foal with her feet as she gets up.

Once she's up and the foal looks ok, then remove yourself from her space in your barn and leave her to get to know her new baby. You can go and get her a warm mashy feed - soak some of what she's used to in hot water, if you have nothing else, and when it is cool enough, offer it to her. Also give her a good pile of hay - she will soon feel very hungry - and leave them both to it. Oh and by the way make sure you tie the mare's water bucket up high enough so the foal cant get its head in it - too many foals drown in ground level buckets when they are first 'blundering' around trying to stand up!! Anytime in the next 6 hours the foal will feed - hopefully with no trouble from your mare, but no need to worry about that now - and pass the mecomium (sp? -it's well past my bed time and the brain is getting fuzzy LOL!) so that is something to watch for too. Make sure you can hear or see the foal actually swallowing when it eventually latches on to a teat.

While you are sitting in your chair watching your girl, it might be a good idea to keep an old water bucket (empty) beside you and a pair of rubber gloves! You need to pick up the mares droppings throughout the night, especially the several very runny piles she will do as she goes into labour - there is no need for this little foal to be born on to a dirty bed, and it will be dirty by the time she has walked round and round through several piles of normal droppings plus the runny ones as she goes into labour. You need your new baby to be born on to a nice clean thick straw or hay bed.

Sorry I seem to have rambled again! Wishing you all the luck in the world - hope she foals tonight for you!
default_yes.gif

thanks anna!! I actually did run by yesterday and get a foal kit together got it in the tack room in the barn.... Just need a foal to use it on now. Hubby is staying a while longer with mil so will hold off till tomorrow on strips....maybe we will have a baby by then!

I hadto run out so I got some test strips while I was out. As soon as I touched her bag I noticed a difference....it has gotten very very tight. She wouldn't even stand still long enough for me to get enough milk for a test. not gonna push her for now just watch a while longer. Also not eating her hay just standing quietly.

Ug...Darla is being very boring tonight!!! Just laying in her stall. (sternum not flat out)

Don't forget that many mares will not foal whilst you are watching them so you will need to hide a little. I have a big mirror over one of my stalls so that I can sit in the tack room and look into the mirror without being seen.

How exciting I will be watching with great interest..keep us up to date with all the latest and lots of pictures
default_aktion033.gif

Latest posts

Back