Hello from a newbie!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just sent a couple more...they aren't great, but she is not being cooperative from that angle!!!! thanks again for your help! you are awesome!

Welcome from australia!!
default_biggrin.png

your mare is very sweet! can't wait to see how the baby turns out!!

she looks very close, my own mare is going to foal... some day, anyday we just don't know which day LOL

she is on marestare and my post is mare ready to foal. come n join us if you like there are lots of great tips and great laughs and almost 200 pages gosh LOL

she has a very pretty head, its hard to tell when you don't know the dates!

there are great people on here and know so much info on everything! and they are happy to answer any silly question you might ask
default_yes.gif

I hope your mare produces a gorgeous little foal for you!! I'm sure your daughter is hoping for a filly!?

love the sorrel chickens too!!
default_new_rofl.gif
what a great story!!

hope all goes well for your mare and foal and please keep us updated with progress
default_smile.png

Here are the other 2 and I had to adjust the 2nd one a little as its a bit fuzzy and bright in parts.

mareudder3.jpg

mareudder4.jpg

Oh and a good one to take for udder size is to move the tail and have your camera/phone between the legs and that way you see the width of the udder.

And it only takes a minute to load so I dont mind doing it.

Update!!! she has been standing in the barn all afternoon. she is out in the pasture now eating grass like she is mad at it! Biting it and riping it up. still holding her tail up...lots of tail swishing and foot stomping. And a few minutes ago she went over and rubbed her rear on the fence. Still watching...

Welcome from another part of Australia!

Looks like you'll have a new face soon, how exciting! She certainly sounds close. Lots of good info and people on here, I'm new here myself and I'm loving it
default_biggrin.png

Hi and welcome from Wales in the UK.
default_saludando.gif

I wouldn't be taking my eyes off your little girl for a moment! Maiden mares dont always show the 'classic' signs of foaling, and your mare looks as though you could have an extra little person in your lives imminently!

If she is like most mares, she will probably foal during the night, so you are going to get pretty tired sitting up watching her - welcome to the exhausted 'watching club' LOL!! Can you shut her in the barn at nights with plenty of clean bedding (avoid shavings for foaling mares) - you dont need her out in the field when she foals if possible. She may need help foaling, especially being a maiden, so it is important that you are there with her.

Your pasture looks fine, not too long and lush, and she will need her grass once she has her baby. Extra food can be discussed once she foals. (dried beet is not good for minis, also avoid using Quest for worming and Bute for any pain relief)

Please feel free to ask any questions, no matter how silly they may seem. There are plenty of folk here with loads of mini experience and they are all willing to help in any way that they can.
default_yes.gif

Good luck!

Welcome from Florida!
default_saludando.gif

Can't wait to see your new little "feathered foal"
default_wink.png
default_laugh.png

Pretty mare....congrats!!
default_yes.gif

Thanks for all of the "welcomes" and advice! It is a little after 6am here and still no baby...I have been up with her most of the night. (i did doze a couple of times). Since about 1am we have had lots of laying down (flat on her side), getting up from that and pacing/eating grass, and then laying back down. Still holding her tail up a little bit and clear discharge...there is only a bit coming out, not like a huge stream but the under side and bottom of her tail are both sticky with it. She is just standing in her stall now but has gotten quite grumpy in the last few hours!

She just turned around to face the other direction, and I noticed that one of her teats has a drop of milk on it.....

You really need to shut her in her stall if you think she is going to foal, although she still needs to be out in the daytime (with someone watching her of course).

Keeping my fingers crossed for you.
default_yes.gif

I have been hesitant to lock her in the stall when im not there with her. It is really just a temporary stall that I put up when I realized that she was bred and getting close. our barn is the old hen house ( and when I say old I mean really old...but really well built. my house is 160 years old, and the hen house has been there a long time too) it is an approx 8x20 roomthat we use for feed and tack

there is a shed attached to it that ia enclosed on three sides and is approx 12x20. that is where my hens nest boxes are you where they roost. We put her a stall up in the back half of it. We do you plan to build a nice barn in the future... But thought this would be a great shelter for now....of course that was before she got here and we found out that she was bred!

Welcome from Oklahoma. It sounds like she is really close, but they can sometimes be very deceiving.

More than once I have woke up and looked at my monitor and could swear there was a foal in the stall, and after getting up and going out to the barn, discover that it was just a shadow in the bedding.

Crazy busy day....and on almost no sleep last night! I am running by and checking on her as often as possible and have my father in law (who knows nothing about horses, but can at least call me if something changes) keeping an eye on her to ( he lives just up the road from us). I checked on her at about 1pm and she was the same, except maybe slightly more discharge. Went back at about 2:30 and her flanks look "hollow" or "concave" if that makes more sense. So i'm thinking our little one has turned. I usually get off at 4 and that is 45 minutes away so I may go on in and call it a day now! I am attaching a pic of her flank. I tried several different angles and couldnt get a great one, but this is the best. I am also attaching a new pic of the vulva...it is looking VERY loose. Let me know what yall think! I will be checking in from my cell!!

080311145350.jpg

080311105919.jpg

She does look like a mare creeping closer. I hope she doesnt keep you waiting too long.

Welcome from Australia.

You do realise of course that baby will make 2 then before you know it you will have 22.
default_wub.png

Hope all goes well for your little mare.

Latest posts

Back