Hello from a newbie!!!

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jessj

Reaction score
Hi All!!! I am new to the forum and just wanted to introduce myself! My name is Jessica, and I am in central alabama. I grew up on a farm and have had quarter horses my whole life, but am new to minis! My husband (who has never been around farm animals at all!) and I married last year and bought our dream house. It has a 2acre chain link fenced yard...we soon decided that was WAY to much grass to cut! So we cross fenced about an acre of it for pasture. Our plan was to get a mini and maybe a couple of nigerian dwarf goats and we already had chickens so they free range in the pasture now. So I called a man that I have known for a long time who is a horse trader. I told him that I basically wanted a "pet lawn mower". Didnt care what color or any specifics...as long as it is small-ish gentle(i have a 7yr old daughter and a very green husband, so of course no studs). A couple of days later he brought me Darla (who at the time was named Beauty, but the daughter thought Darla suited her better). He gets a very fat little girl off the trailer and says "she could be bred...i've had her for about 3 months and she was runnin' with a lil' bitty stud when I got her...she's just been out in one of the back pastures since i got her" So the husband and the daughter are immediately in love...and she really is a little doll. Very gentle, great temperment. I started checking her out, looking her over, checking teeth, picking up feet, that kind of thing and I notice that she has a pretty full bag, and I can get clear liquid from it. That was 10 days ago, yesterday morning her milk went from very cloudy to almost white and went from salty to bland, and this morning it went almost completely white and sweet! I am a little worried. I don't know much of her history. She is 3-4 yrs old, so I am thinking this is probably her first foal. She isnt super tiny, about 36inches. Luckily I have a job that is very flexible ( i am the animal control supervisor, and animal cruelty investigator for our county) so i am able to check on her very often! This morning between 6-7:30 she was acting like she was in first stage of labor ....rolling, biting sides, pacing, and she had some clear discharge. But by 8:30 she stopped and was just standing around in the barn, and I had a couple of cases that I really needed to get to this morning. So I headed on to work. I have been by to check on her 2 times since and stil more standing around. I just stopped by my office, and am about to run back and check on her again! That is the story of Darla! I have really enjoyed reading all of your posts so far! Any advice or helpful hints are greatly appreciated!!!

OH!! I almost forgot! She has been on pasture only, and we have awesome pasture here, but I plan to add grain. With our quarter horses we have always fed a mixture of oats, alfalfa pellets, and dry beet pulp shreds....is that a bad combo for a mini? I have fed omolene in the past as well and like it...i have seen several posts from those of you that feed omolene...just wondering! Thanks! Jess

d1.jpg

d5.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi and welcome..im new to this myself but have already had some great advice from some really nice people im sure you will enjoy it as much as i have.. nothing like getting sound advice straight from the horses mouth
default_biggrin.png

Pretty pony
default_thumbup.gif

Hi and Welcome
saludando.gif
I am new around here too. This is a great place with a lot of information. I hope your girl does well foaling. Good luck! She is pretty
default_smile.png

Welcome to the forum from Co. Clare Ireland.

Well you have a very pretty mare and looks like she has landed on her feet with you.

Have you any pics of her tushy and her udder. She is not huge looking but if she is a maiden then she could hide it really well. And maybe a pic from the front and back too at her level.

Welcome from Texas!

She looks like she may go tonight- I can see the tippy of one teat in that first pic...
default_laugh.png

Also, watch yor grass, I don't know how used to it she is, so you sure don't want to founder her! And she really doesn't NEED grain right now, she looks quite the fluffy one... once baby is born if she starts to drop weight you can add grain.

Welcome to the forum from Co. Clare Ireland.

Well you have a very pretty mare and looks like she has landed on her feet with you.

Have you any pics of her tushy and her udder. She is not huge looking but if she is a maiden then she could hide it really well. And maybe a pic from the front and back too at her level.

I have couple of pics of her that i took earlier today...this is from behind and of her "girl parts!" I do have a pic of her udder, but it is from 10 days ago when we first got her! I will post it too! I just checked on her again and she is still just standing around...i did have a "oh wow yay...wait a minute jess, you are such a ditz" moment....when i pulled into my drive, i could see her standing in the barn with what looke like a sorrell and white baby on the ground beside her...as I got closer I realized it was just a light brahma hen with a rhode island red laying on each side of her! I got up and checked on her every 2 hours last night and will probably have a hard time sleeping tonight, she will be tired of me! Thanks for those links, I will check them out! and i will try to get a new pic of her udder!

d2.jpg

d4.jpg

da3.jpg

Well I would be thinking that there is somthing going on. Her teats are very full looking form 10 days ago. Some mares can have a bag but teats are small and usually facing each other.

Will be interesting to compare the pics from 10 days ago to today.

Her tushy looks relaxed too and no bump from the back view.

LOL I had to laugh when you said you thought you saw a foal and it was only the hens - too funny.

Welcome from northern Maryland!

Can't help you with the foaling questions....haven't been done that road myself in the 2+ years I've had our minis.

I am one who does feed grain to my minis. I use Strategy for everyone but my hard keeper who is on Omolene 300 (Mare & Foal). Lots of opinions on this topic!
laugh.gif

Good luck....will be watching for updates.

Hello and welcome from Italy
saludando.gif
congratulations on your cute girl, i can't wait to see what she lays
laugh.gif

I am trying to figure out how to add pics from my cell!!!! I got some new ones of the udder. She usually doesn't mind me lifting her tail, but didn't want me doing that now. She is holding it up slightly at all times now and I noticed there seems to be more clear discharge again. she usually doesn't mind me touching the vulva either but is not a fan of that now... not gonna push her on it. I am home for the night now anyway... will just keep watching! AND UPDATING!!!

lol....what she lays....too funny! Is this going to the one of those things that I am teased about forever?!?

If you can email yourself the pics from your phone and then save to your gallery and upload from there.

thats what I did before...i saved them on my computer at work...but my internet at home is down and they have been working on fixing it for a week!! can I post it directly from my cell? when I reply from the cell it doesn't give me an attachments option....or it does and I dont know where to look!!!

If you want you can email them to me and I will post them for you. I dont know what type of phone you have so really cant help and I dont know if you can post them on directly.

My email is [email protected]

Ok here you go.

I think they look fuller but I would like to see her udder from the back to see how much the bag is filled

mareudder.jpg

mareudder2.jpg

Latest posts

Back