Dummy foal, asphyxia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That's great news, Parmela! I hope she continues to be vigorous and grow stronger by the day.
default_smile.png

That's WONDERFUL news, Parmela! I can't wait to see more of your precious, tiny baby. She looks so petite and pretty in her pictures.
default_wub.png

Jodi

WHOOO HOOOO!!!!!!!!

I'm SO happy to know she's feeling better!
default_wub.png

She's a doll! More photos please!

Parmela,

I have been reading through all the posts and I've gone from crying tears of sadness to tears of joy!! I am sorry you and the filly have had to endure all of this, but I am glad to know everything seems to be okay.

Please continue to post updates and show pics of your sleeping beauty!
default_wink.png

Peggy

I am so happy for your positive outcome! That is marvelous news. Maybe you should call her Goldie's litle Miracle!
default_wub.png

Thanks again. Last night was so much fun! I watched her on camera until at 2am and she had made the stall into her personal Nascar track! She was zooming around, kicking, bucking and just generally giving her mom grief!

I got back up around 6am to check on her and she's pretty much back to having no energy and sleeping a lot and very deeply. I talked to the vet this morning. At this point she doesn't have a loose stool (which is one of the things they thought she could be on the way to) and she will get up and nurse on her own. But other than nursing she just sleeps. I'm giving her banamine, naxcil (sp?) and ADR paste. No temp, she is pooping and peeing but just nothing else. So, we watch...and we watch some more.

Please keep her in her thoughts.

Thanks a million times over...
default_wub.png

Sorry to hear that she's still not out of the woods.

Parmela, are you sure she's warm enough? Blankets, heater?? She could be a bit premature. As Charlotte mentioned earlier, if some newborns are the least bit too cool and their body temp is low, they become very lethargic. I would also recommend that you wake her at least hourly to nurse. Nursing will help to warm her up and get her blood sugar up to give her energy.

Good luck and keep us posted. We are pulling for you and the little one!

Thanks again. Last night was so much fun! I watched her on camera until at 2am and she had made the stall into her personal Nascar track! She was zooming around, kicking, bucking and just generally giving her mom grief!

I got back up around 6am to check on her and she's pretty much back to having no energy and sleeping a lot and very deeply. I talked to the vet this morning. At this point she doesn't have a loose stool (which is one of the things they thought she could be on the way to) and she will get up and nurse on her own. But other than nursing she just sleeps. I'm giving her banamine, naxcil (sp?) and ADR paste. No temp, she is pooping and peeing but just nothing else. So, we watch...and we watch some more.

Please keep her in her thoughts.

Thanks a million times over...
default_wub.png
default_aktion033.gif
WONDERFUL, WONDERFUL news!!
default_biggrin.png

Pretty sure then that this was not a Dummy foal......

Anyway, rhetorical, really glad she is doing OK- hope she continues to do so.

Sorry to hear that she's still not out of the woods.
Parmela, are you sure she's warm enough? Blankets, heater?? She could be a bit premature. As Charlotte mentioned earlier, if some newborns are the least bit too cool and their body temp is low, they become very lethargic. I would also recommend that you wake her at least hourly to nurse. Nursing will help to warm her up and get her blood sugar up to give her energy.

Good luck and keep us posted. We are pulling for you and the little one!
Becky, I think you're right about the temp thing. She is in an insulated stall with 2 heaters and a heat lamp. It's very comfortable for us and momma but she is still shivering some. Part of the problem is that we have the heaters on shelves and not at floor level where she is. I guess we're going to have to figure out how to have them safely at her level. I am waking her up hourly to nurse and many times she's gotten up herself before the hour is up. Her banamine this morning seemed to perk her up some...or at least the timing looks like it did.

Thanks for the suggestion Becky. I do think she's a bit premie - her jammies aren't as long/think as I'd expected they would be for this time of year and her mane/forelock is just a bit of fuzz.

Does she have a foal blanket on?? If she's still shivering with the heaters and heat lamp, it sounds like she could probably use a blanket if you haven't already put one on her.

Sending good thoughts!!!

Keeping you and your precious little one in my thoughts and prayers.

Jodi

I agree with lvponies. Does she have a blanket on? If she's shivering, she's cold!

My first foal last year wasn't born until the end of March, but if it was below 60, I had to keep her blanketed. She wore a blanket at least at night until she was a month old!

I'm thrilled to hear your little princess is home! Have you given her a name yet, or is she still the bearded lady? :DOH!

Latest posts

Back