Dummy foal, asphyxia

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So sorry to hear this. but it sounds like it still may work out...

I sure hope so..

Sending prayers and (((HUGS))) your way...

default_no.gif
my heart breaks for you and your filly. We will pray for her and your mare.

keep us posted.

HUGS

Oh no, so sorry you and your precious little one are going through this. Sending hopes and prayers that she will be OK!

I'm sorry you are going through this too, Parmela.

I'll be praying you get some good news — that she turns the corner to recovery quickly.

Thank you everyone. I've read the articles and found them VERY helpful. To my untrained eye, she does act like the foals described in the articles. She was very normal and fiesty at birth but has become lathargic overtime. I just talked to the vet and there is no change. She is being treated with an IV, antibiotics and nutritional supplements. They tell me, as well as what the articles said, that she may very well recover and end up being normal if she can get through these first few days.

Thanks again. I'm going to stop by and see her on my way home from work.

Also, forgot to mention and don't know if it's important, but her eyes have remained very bloodshot ever since birth. They haven't cleared up like other foals' eyes have.
Please make sure they have her on oxygen as well!

Please keep us updated. My thoughts and prayers are with you and your new little filly.

Lisa

Prayers for Goldie and her precious little girl! I know she will hang in there. Please update us as soon as you can!

Checking her RH factor is a good idea - altho at this point if she and her dam where not compatable it would be very noticeable - the plasma transfusion should have helped her a lot.

I suspect she is going the the "fainting foal" syndrome -- VERY scary, and exactly as you described, but most foals seem to outgrow it in a week - 2 at the most. Seems to stem from some sort of oxygen deprivation, or perhaps a "spontaneous birth" - I had a older mare that had a foal that did that.

I would probably stick to the IV's, keep her warm, under observation and only let her out to play for short periods of time until she seems to be back to normal.

I am hoping that all continues to go well, please make sure that your vets stay on top of her blood work - septicimea can take a foal down in a matter of hours.

Keep us posted,

Stacy

Thank you everyone.
default_cheekkiss.gif
I really appreciate the words of comfort and advice. I'm so emotionally exhausted. The vet keeps saying there is no definitave diagnosis. Her glucose is within acceptable ranges, her blood gas tests are normal, her kidneys are funtioning ok, her liver has one test that keeps coming back very slightly irregular, but it's not glaring. The vet is maintaining she seems like a dummy foal, with her definition being a foal that (can) come out appearing normal on the surface but then starts to fail - not nursing aggressively, not following mom around, sleeping more and more, etc. She says she's a less severe case than some, but a dummy foal nonetheless. But I'm getting absolutely no guarantee that she is going to make it.

I went by to see her after work and she looked just ok. She was sleeping when I went in and she was hard to wake up. Once she was awake, she stood up and and nursed a minute or two. I loved on her some and she liked having her neck scratched where the bandage is for the cath. I'm being told she'll be there until at least Friday and we'll go from there.

Thanks again to everyone. You all are the BEST!
default_aktion033.gif

Here are some pics I took a couple of hours before we rushed her to the hospital.

goldie08foalhead2.jpg

(hubby calls her the bearded lady! :DOH! )

goldie08foalleftstanding.jpg

Thanks for your thoughts, prayers and support.

She is absolutely PRECIOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
default_wub.png
I do hope she's a "sleeper/fainter" foal and all this will clear up as she matures over these next few days......

She's beautiful...absolutely precious!
default_wub.png

I, also, do not believe she is a "dummy" foal. If she came into the world the way you said....robust,lively & nursing....I don't see how she could have been oxygen deprived. The dummy foal we had, was actually not breathing at all when he was born. Had to give him mouth-to-nose to bring him around. Even then, he was very listless, no sucking reflexes, and acted like he was blind. In his case, the cord was wrapped around his poll during birth, which pulled the placenta loose before he was born. This deprived him of oxygen. Vet treated him very aggressively, as his brain was swelling from oxygen deprivation. 3 days on IV meds...and he was back to normal!
default_yes.gif

I think your little girl is just suffering from an immature nervous system & is a "sleeper". As others have explained, if this is the case...she will outgrow it.
default_wink.png

Will send prayers for your previous baby.

I disagree with those who say that it doesn't seem like a dummy foal. When my filly was born, she was up and nursing and just fine at 24 hours old. It was 36 hours when things went south fast.

I am really glad that you have her in the hospital. She is pretty early at what, 302 days? It is very likely that she is "dysmature." I think your vet is on the right track with the supportive care at the moment.

Good luck Parmela, she is lovely and I wish you all the best.

She's a darling filly. I guess there are differences in the onset of dummy foals, my take on it - and the only marginal dummy I've ever had - is exactly what Dona posted. She was a red bag baby and proceded to grow and thrive.....just a little slow to this day in her mental responses. Hope your filly outgrows this quickly and gets on with her life!

Jan

She is just gorgeous!!! I am also one that doesn't believe she is a "dummy" foal. From what I have seen they start out with problems. I think she is a fainter and will come out of this in a few days. I certainly hope so anyway.

Robin

Parmela, I'm praying that precious filly will be okay! Hoping that the night was good for her and you'll have good news this morning!

She's a doll Parmela!
default_wub.png

My prayers go out to your little girl.

Please do keep giving updates.

Latest posts

Back