Draft Style Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Julie your boy is really nice and I can see why he's such a big hit.
default_aktion033.gif
Is that you in the photo? If so, now I can put a face with your name.
default_smile.png

Debbie
Yep it is me and my Little Man.

Mini I know he isn't draft type. Was just commenting in the first pic he sort of does remind me of a draft horse, but the second pic is to show his trimmer self that doesn't look drafty.
Oh okay hahah DUH me heheh I'm with you now

She doesn't have the bone in the leg, but her body and neck sure remind me of a draft! This is Sienna, 2 1/2 months old. This girl has chest!
default_wink.png

Sienna.lft.8-7-09-426x311.jpg

Sienna.lft3.8-7-09-423x315.jpg
Kim, Love your Sienna girl, she does have that apple butt I love so much. Can't see her chest in the photos, but I have seen her in person and admire how wide she is in the front. Just like her momma! I'll take those "4x4 style" miniatures any day!

Looking at everyones pictures is a lot of fun. I have long been a proponet of providing classes for the stockier type Quarter Horse or Draft or whatever you want to call them at the shows. Both in the halter and driving portions of a show.
default_wink.png

I think there are a lot of folks out there that like the heavier, stocky type minis and it would encourage the use of these little guys for more than pasture ornaments. The registries are always looking for ways to encourage participation and I think this is a natural.
default_yes.gif
default_aktion033.gif
:yeah
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif
default_aktion033.gif

Even in your stock breeds you have MANY different styles, take your AQHA horses, you have the foundation horses that look VERY different from your cow-horse, who look VERY different from your reiners, hunters, jumpers, halter horses and the list goes on.. WHY can't WE have the different styles, giving those of us who love the little guys more options and open up more for others to join in the fun of showing, competitive driving etc.?

Thank you Sue_C... I'm sure many would flame me over this mare, not only because she's not the 'trend' of the breed, but she is a grade (hence why she's a "pet" and the only reason) She was the result of my very first breeding of minis.. Her dam was my 36" mare Star (whom was AMHR registered, though papers were never transferred, I had a copy of her papers and asked AMHR for the last known owner on their records, got her name and city/state, was able to track down an address, sent a letter and NEVER received an answer back
default_no.gif
Because I was unable to get ahold of the previous recorded owner I could not get her transferred, therefore she too became "grade") Sire, similar story..
default_sad.png
Anywho, ended up with this gal and am quite happy.. She does test my patience at times because she's so big she can be quite pushy (that and family I sold her to as a weanling didn't do a lot with her in the 4 years they had her)

Oh MY! I am totally in love with the buckskin mare from Luck C Acres. I want, I want!! I grew up with QH and she looks like a perfect miniature stock horse to me. I hope someone will keep breeding this type so I can have one when I have more time and room.

For now I have my grade 30" mini gelding "Billy" who is fairly stocky & thinks he is 10 feet tall.

IMG_2813_3_1-1.jpg

IMG_3012-1.jpg

How bout my VERY TINY 27" (if he is standing on the tips of his little hooves) Mini Gypsy Vanner... Though he is super refined. His build is "stout" and boy can he show offWhen I clip him I let his "feathers" on. And he really has some wonderful feathers, better than my friesian's actually.

I have taken him to expos and he is a real hit... lets see if I can get the picture to post:

Meet Mustardseed Legionaires Destiny, my awesome Tiny MAN!

And... he produces some Lovely foals. He LOVES his job, whether it is greeting thousands of people...touching him all day long, at an expo, or lovin his mares!

DestinyAmericanIdolsm.jpg
He's stunning!

Wow! When I started this topic, I didn't expect such a response or to see pictures of such wonderful horses. Julie, your "Vanner" Mustardseed's Legionaire's Destiny" is drop-dead gorgeous! And I absolutely loved the "tank"
default_biggrin.png
from Lucky C Acres. (Since I don't know her name
default_biggrin.png
)

I guess what I wanted to know when I started this topic was if I was alone in my opinion that this type of mini should not be allowed dwindle away. I'm pretty sure I got my answer
default_wink.png
so my next question is: how to do it? Is there a way to get our registeries to include draft type classes? (I'm asking this as a newby and an outsider to the show world.) Getting these horses accepted at the shows seems to me to be the only solid way of making sure this type of mini doesn't slowly disappear.

That's the one thing about the miniature horse that constantly amazes me...how many forms they can take, from the oh-so-delicate Arab type to horses like Julie's Vanner-look-alike. And how versatile they are from the halter horse to the performance horse and the family "babysitter" to the therapy horse.

I agree with so many other posts that there should be other types than what's currently winning in the show ring. And please don't get me wrong--I love them, too; I just think that as versatile as our wonderful breed is, I just want to know ALL types of the American Miniature will be there for generations to come.

th_target2.jpg

th_target4.jpg

default_saludando.gif
This is my stocky guy! He is 12 years old 29 inches and the sweetest fellow you would ever want to meet. This is the first time I have posted photos so I hope they work. (Please excuse the grooming. This was right out of the pasture.)

That is why there is a foundation division in ponies to preserve that type of shetland.. Type is so subjective though even on this thread as to what equals drafty and what doesnt (same thing happens in the foundation pony divison as well)

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking at everyones pictures is a lot of fun. I have long been a proponet of providing classes for the stockier type Quarter Horse or Draft or whatever you want to call them at the shows. Both in the halter and driving portions of a show.

I think there are a lot of folks out there that like the heavier, stocky type minis and it would encourage the use of these little guys for more than pasture ornaments. The registries are always looking for ways to encourage participation and I think this is a natural.

I love John Cherry's comments. I don't have any what I would call drafty types myself but I do have one larger boned horse left in the barn. If she puts on weight, she can easily be dubbed drafty. The icing on the cake is that her conformation is there, long neck with clean throat latch with a hook, great shoulder, nice hip and all, (and she's small) but is shunned as far as "type" in today's grande scheme of things.

The problem is that so many people have these type horses but they will not be accepted in the ring or muchly wanted into today's market as it is now. Especially since more are going over to shetland crosses these horses don't have a chance in a halter class, or do they? Hopefully our estute Mr. Cherry can have some infulence and help bring these horses into the ring as a "type" of their own to be reckened with. Now there would be one heck of a jump in the market if that happened! I do feel and always said I prefer a horse as a "using" horse, one that needs more substance other than to just stick his long neck out and stand there.

Here is Chrissy. She's the whole package in a larger bone. Saddly, she would go no where in today's ring. Daughter of NFC Rowdy's Desperado

Chrissyjune09004.jpg

Chrissyjune09010.jpg

halterpic4.png

PS: Chrissy just said for me to tell you that she's sorry I posted pictures showing you she's sunbleached. eeeeeeeeksss

This has been a fun thread to read and I would like to share our two mini "Belgians" with you also. I am not any good at posting pics but if you would stop by our website www.hoofweb.com/timberview , on the Misc pics page you will scroll down and see Bud and Joe. They were such fun to drive too! If someone would like to copy them and post here they may do so. Lavonne

What you call Draft mini's are just normal shetlands here ;)

You see them everywhere!

My (in loving memory) mare Honey:

img0130yyp.jpg

And my new mare Abbey

IMG_0199.JPG

How bout my VERY TINY 27" (if he is standing on the tips of his little hooves) Mini Gypsy Vanner... Though he is super refined. His build is "stout" and boy can he show offWhen I clip him I let his "feathers" on. And he really has some wonderful feathers, better than my friesian's actually.

I have taken him to expos and he is a real hit... lets see if I can get the picture to post:

And... he produces some Lovely foals. He LOVES his job, whether it is greeting thousands of people...touching him all day long, at an expo, or lovin his mares!

JULIE!!!! Destiny is looking just fabulous! Thank you for posting that photo of him....I miss the little guy! He always had the most beautiful feathering on his legs, and the way you have him clipped....he DOES look just like a miniature Gypsy Vanner!
default_biggrin.png

Give that boy a big hug & kiss from me!
default_wub.png

I am going to our county fair tomorrow to wath the "Miniature Horse Pull". There are some awesome little minis that are built like draft horses in this pull every year....AND pound for pound, they pull more than the big guys!!!!

I WILL be getting photos & will share them here when I get them downloaded.
default_yes.gif

This is my draft style miniature. Bellmills Toppos Growlithe is a 9 year old stallion, AMHA registred.

2e31n9e.jpg

I wouldn't call my little guy drafty, but he does resemble a haflinger . Personally I think he's just fat and needs to be once again drylotted.

Pics of said boy (Buddy):

Him and his 'girlfriend (SweetPea)'

IMAG0260.jpg

He thought he was getting more apple slices. Half an apple is enough Buddy
default_wink.png

IMAG0261.jpg

Mr fatty:

IMAG0262.jpg

Another:

IMAG0264.jpg

And a really bad pic of him looking like the Stay Puff Marshmallow Horse on a downhill slope:

IMAG0263.jpg

I do plan on getting him driving sooner or later.
default_rolleyes.gif

Edited to add a mini I used to own many years ago--(A very bad picture. Will have to scan a decent one of him). He was sure a sturdy little guy--very stout. His name is Monashee's Rocky.

rockyamh.jpg

This has got to be the most beautiful miniature horse I've ever seen. I wish I had a barn of mini's that looked like him!

The refined show minis are nice but this guy would stop me in my tracks!

This is Chatterbox. He is 36" at top of wither.

new_Chatterbox-period3.jpg
new_Chatterboxharnessclass3.jpg
Chatterbox-j-3.jpg

P.S. He is Pure Shetland tracing back to all English studbook (Native) Shetlands.

If I remember correctly, Billy Bob, one of the CMHR rescues, seemed rather drafty- looking to me and had some cute feathered legs.

Also, I would LOVE a mini Friesian!
default_wub.png
Anyone breed those?

Latest posts

Back