Draft Style Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I remember correctly, Billy Bob, one of the CMHR rescues, seemed rather drafty- looking to me and had some cute feathered legs.Also, I would LOVE a mini Friesian!
default_wub.png
Anyone breed those?
I would love a mini Friesian too, if you ever find someone who breeds them let me know!!!!

Looking at everyones pictures is a lot of fun. I have long been a proponet of providing classes for the stockier type Quarter Horse or Draft or whatever you want to call them at the shows. Both in the halter and driving portions of a show.
I think there are a lot of folks out there that like the heavier, stocky type minis and it would encourage the use of these little guys for more than pasture ornaments. The registries are always looking for ways to encourage participation and I think this is a natural.

I love John Cherry's comments. I don't have any what I would call drafty types myself but I do have one larger boned horse left in the barn. If she puts on weight, she can easily be dubbed drafty. The icing on the cake is that her conformation is there, long neck with clean throat latch with a hook, great shoulder, nice hip and all, (and she's small) but is shunned as far as "type" in today's grande scheme of things.

The problem is that so many people have these type horses but they will not be accepted in the ring or muchly wanted into today's market as it is now. Especially since more are going over to shetland crosses these horses don't have a chance in a halter class, or do they? Hopefully our estute Mr. Cherry can have some infulence and help bring these horses into the ring as a "type" of their own to be reckened with. Now there would be one heck of a jump in the market if that happened! I do feel and always said I prefer a horse as a "using" horse, one that needs more substance other than to just stick his long neck out and stand there.

Here is Chrissy. She's the whole package in a larger bone. Saddly, she would go no where in today's ring. Daughter of NFC Rowdy's Desperado

Chrissyjune09004.jpg

Chrissyjune09010.jpg

halterpic4.png

PS: Chrissy just said for me to tell you that she's sorry I posted pictures showing you she's sunbleached. eeeeeeeeksss
Marty I love this mare. I think she is just beautiful. She reminds me very much of my own mare.

I love love love this thread! Its so nice to see so many draft style mini lovers. I currently own 3 draft styled minis. It would be nice if they had classes just for these guys. It would give people more options.

Here is a picture of one of my draft style horses. Sorry the only pictures I could really find of her near her due date.

Untitled-11.jpg

vixonside_2weeks.jpg

Well at 13 hands he's def not a mini, but Fells are "close" ;) My gelding, Harley

harley37-3-9.jpg

I have always said form follows function. While the trend is to the refined arab types that are pretty to look at, how many are really tough driving horses. Even in the show ring the driving horses wouldn't necessarily win a halter class.

These stockier types are what they are originally bred for-working, driving horses with enough bone and muscle to do the job.

We have several "draft" style miniatures and personally I LOVE them -- sadly they do seem to sell slower than the more refined ones to people that are wanting to show BUT to people that are wanting them for cart horses or for their kids they seem to sell pretty well
default_smile.png
This year we have 2 fillies that are offered for sale that have the draft look to them -- they will be mini "powerhouses" by the time they are done growing
default_smile.png

Here is a picture of one of our drafty mares... Her name is Bailey.....

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that most people like the arabian styled mini's more, but my kids could ride on my draft style mini. And he is a great driving horse.

20qmfet.jpg

Ruffian, I have a mare just like this. Snow white mane and taik, gorgeous sorrel color, she reminds me of a haflinger, but shes appaloosa, with hoof striping and now shes started roaning out, and she got motteling on the underside of her tail and her female area, shes really pretty, and her son is a bit a more refined, but her clone.

I just lost a mare who was built like a Sorrel Belgian. Big platter feet (as it got closer to farrier time) big rear, heavy neck, long face. She was what I call the "Old Style". IMO people stopped breeding that type as they tried to get away from the old style Shetland pony look. She was a sweetheart. Apparently fell into our ditch (which had 8" of water in that particular spot) and drowned. RIP Old Flame

Hi All...

I was planning a picture of Cooper (aka Billy Bob - he needed a new name for his new life). Sorry, trimmed off his feathers...he's easier to keep clean this way. Am working on his weight but I think he has lost quite a bit in a year. He needs exercise right now, but I need to go slow because of his bad hips.

Here are pics from last weekend..his halter is too big and needs to be adjusted (I got it when he was thicker and had winter fur), but I hardly use it on him unless I take him outside of the fenced area as he now leads by his mane.

I love this picture...it's not the best (big winds, DH taking it, I was a mess) but I was kissing to him and he actually had his ears forward...a big deal as he just started using them instead of walking around with them back (a sign he was shut down emotionally). He also calls to me whenever he sees me...I think it's a little leftover from when he was a stallion.

Click on the picture to see it better!

Jackie

CHMR Foster Home

Michigan

Since I can't figure how to post more than one picture...here's a close up of his face
default_smile.png

Jackie

Jackie, I have always wondered what happened to "Billy Bob" (a.k.a. Cooper) and am so glad he has found a wonderful home! Thanks for the pictures! He hardly looks like the same boy!
default_yes.gif

Many beautiful horses on this thread!
default_smile.png
Billy Bob aka Cooper is looking FANTASTIC Jackie! You are the perfect adoptive mommy for him!
default_biggrin.png

What I would love to see for the “Draft” Type Mini’s is as follows. You never know one of Directors might see this and propose it to the registries.
default_poke.gif

Or some variation of this set up. I think it would encourage folks to use a ton of mini’s not currently being shown and additionally be a lot of fun for a bunch of members.
default_biggrin.png
default_aktion033.gif

The main two points also that I think are needed are:

1. Once you have entered a horse in this division it cannot be shown in any other division ever, in order to keep the type going.

2. The size breakdowns are imperative for it to be successful.

AMHA Halter Mare, Stallions and Geldings

Sr Division

28” and under

30 and Under

32 “ and under

34” and under

Jr. Division

29” and under

30 and over

Performance

Country pleasure driving

Hunter

Obstacle

Jumping

AMHR Halter Mares Stallions and Geldings

Sr Division

30” and under

32” and under

36” and under

38” and under

AMHR Jr. Division

29” and under

33” and under

35” and under

37” and under

AMHR Performance

Country pleasure driving

Hunter

Obstacle

Jumping

I know there are a ton of classes now, but I think these would be worth it. What is everyones thoughts on this proposal? You folks have posted a ton of nice horses that deserve a place to be and do well in without having to compete against the more refined horses that are currently out there winning, in my opinion. Good for the registries, good for the owners, great for the horses, so why not????
default_yes.gif

I think the ideas proposed by John are excellent. Would it make a difference if copies of this thread were sent to the AMHA/AMHR or if an on-line petition were started, so the directors could see how strongly people feel about Draft-type minis?

I would love to see this happen but with the mindset currently in place where would judges be found to understand the value of these heavier boned minis and judge them fairly? Perhaps in the big horse (Draft) world.

Surely the standards for this TYPE would need to be more clearly defined than those used for the height registries though height would still be part of that standard. I believe currently these minis are often thought to be course and plain and could not place in a class though,( as evidenced by this thread) there are many owners who find them beautiful they are not trying to market them and even when they do the market is poor because the current trend in the show world is away from this type. As I said my one drafty mini is always a favorite with my big horse friends but he wouldnt place in a mini show even locally if he were judged by a carded judge.

Honestly...if I went shopping today and had the choice between the types I'd buy of these "just too cute to cuddle" drafty ones
default_wub.png
I'd pick these drafty/cob types hands down I think they're gorgeous (especially if we can breed back the feathers like little Vanner boy has lol) Like what was said a few pages ago...form follows function. These guys can do it all and IMO are wayyyy prettier to look at. To me it's tragic that they aren't shown because the "trend" is towards an opposite confortmation/type. Now I know these guys are out there I'll be looking to purchase a nice colt next spring with substance. I'm truely afraid we're breeding away from a conformation that's sound to favor "looks"...that wouldn't happen with these beauties.

It's time breeders breeding these lil beauties didn't hide them behind the barn (or geld them all) - bring them out up front and show them off guys
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

I don't know if it would do any good to send it to the directors or not. But I do think it is time for thinking outside the box when it comes to trying to encourage participation on all levels. Which is a win win for everyone.
default_aktion033.gif

I know in ASPC (I know that is a dirty word to some folks LOL) they have the foundation division which is very successful and while not exactly what we are talking about it works well for them, when we were at Congress this year I saw some really beautiful horses in those classes, that could not compete against the more refined horses.
default_yes.gif

I do however think the judges would have to be schooled on what the "type" was.
default_wink.png

All the normal conformation things would have to be considered like straight legs, bites, etc. etc. , but I do not think it would take a lot of thought to write those type things out using our current standard as a guide line with minor tweaks.

default_new_multi.gif

Somebody write it up that is more eloquent than I am and post it. Then all of us could send it to our respective directors of both registries. Then see what happens!!!!
default_488.gif

I bet on a national level it would mean 100 - 300 horses at the World/National show, people would be excited about it I bet.
default_aktion033.gif
default_cheers.gif
default_risa8.gif
default_new_multi.gif

I personally like both styles (elegant/refined and "draft") of horses and to each their own so to speak. One does not have to detract or minimize the other. The direction the show ring moves though directly relates to what has a market and what does not which is another consideration.

Somebody write it up that is more eloquent than I am and post it. Then all of us could send it to our respective directors of both registries. Then see what happens!!!!
default_488.gif

I'd try to right something up myself (since I started this thread) but to tell you the truth, I'm intimidated by the prospect. I'm still a newby and there's still so much I don't know about minis and I know NOTHING about the business of showing and breeding. I'm not sure how to word it or even where to start.

John, would you have the time to write something up? I think you are very eloquent and well-spoken. Also, you have the knowledge and experience that I don't.

Or is there anyone else who would be interested in pursuing this idea?

For the most part I have and breed the more refined type,... and my Destiny truly is refined... but STOUT and that is what makes him "drafty" but he sure can put leg on a horse too and refinement depending on the mare he is bred to.

BUT... when I take the horses to the expos or when people visit our farm...LET ME TELL YOU WHO REALLY DRAWS THE CROWD...

Mr. Destiny.

Because he is SO tiny...27", and so correct... an incredible mover...and such a buff man, he demands the crowd to spread when we take him into the ring!!! He has confidence and PRESENCE :O)

I put the other stallions in the stalls in the exhibit hall, but his teeny tininess and his correct proportions (you should SEEEEE his neck LONG!) really get attention.

We call our stalls "THE AWWWWWW FACTOR" because that is what we hear all day long all weekend long. And, it is just amazing to see the smiles that miniatures put on peoples faces...THAT is what it is all about.

I would love to see a foundation branch to our registries, but it does require more classes, more work, more time........ I personally am planning on attending the AMHA meeting since that is where the voting can take place. You can put a proposal in, but, it takes participation to pass a proposal at a meeting

So.. if you are really serious and what to vote it in.... come to the meeting and cast your vote.

Thanks...he's getting there. I hope by next year he'll be svelte! I can feel his ribs now, and he has two butt cheeks, not one ;) Just gotta work on that belly! After I get more muscling on his topline/rump, I'll consider starting him driving... he's got a pretty trot and he reaches well underneath himself! I'll video it and post sometime.

I wish we knew more about his past...someone trained him to lunge at some point, and he knew what a turnout sheet was (I put on one him last spring, totally forgetting he may flip out on me, and he didn't bat an eye). He also knows how to jump, though I am keeping the jumps low until he gets into better shape. I don't know much about mini breeding, but it seems to me he's put together pretty well...his physical issues are not conformation, but human-caused.

I think it would be fun to compete with him...he's very level-headed, and trusts me to do whatever I ask. I wish I had papers on him, or that the different mini shows had classes for unregistered (as long as they met height requirements) like they are now doing for dogs in obedience classes. I've always said that if he had been a full size horse, he'd be considered bombproof !

Well, let's see what next year brings...maybe I'll get lucky and run across a really cheap driving harness to play with!

Jackie

Latest posts

Back