Draft Style Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I haven't read all of this post but would just like to say that my husband and I went to Equitana a few years back and we saw the most amazing little horses there. We were so intrigued by them that we inquired only to find out that they were half miniature and half draft horse. They had artificially inseminated the draft mares with miniature sperm and these little draft horses were just amazing. We were in love and I just couldn't take my eyes off of them. I would love to see some of them again. They were probably about 46 - 50 inches tall and a perfect little replica of the draft horse. OMG they were gorgeous.

I went to the Mini Horse pull last night, at our county fair & took lots of photos. Got to the new thread about the Miniature Horse Pull in the "Photo/Video Gallery" to see the photos!
default_biggrin.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If I remember correctly, Billy Bob, one of the CMHR rescues, seemed rather drafty- looking to me and had some cute feathered legs.Also, I would LOVE a mini Friesian!
default_wub.png
Anyone breed those?
I would love a mini Friesian too, if you ever find someone who breeds them let me know!!!!

I want the same thing. And as long as were talking about baroque breeds in mini form, I want an Andalusian mini. That's what I want to aim for.

I want the same thing. And as long as were talking about baroque breeds in mini form, I want an Andalusian mini. That's what I want to aim for.
That wouldn't be hard to get. The only thing that may be hard is the sub convex to convex profile but the rounder croup, short back, medium to low set tail, deep thicker set neck, under set hocks etc is alreay there in many mini's. If I was to call my stud a "type" I'd call him Spanish...after owning Spanish horses he has everything I'd expect to see. Only thing he lacks is the convex profile but I had a half Sorraia (Portuguese) colt and his profile was straight.

Soon we'll need LOTS of new classes for shows lol
default_rolleyes.gif
default_wink.png

Hey Mr. Cherry, you still here?

I have also something to ponder about this?

What about showing these horses with their necks not sticking out? And most definately nothing else stretched. Just a thought..........

Sorry folks, we are in the middle of a big oil spill in the middle of a plant down here. In any case I agree with you Nathan, there are all kinds of subtleties that would need to be worked out. I think from reading the previous posts Julie has said she is going to the National meeting. She would naturally be the perfect person to present this to the meeting which under the current rules is where everything would have to start. Plus I like Julie LOL

As far as me being able to write it up, my suggestion is that several folks need to be involved so as to get a cross section of opinions. The first step I would think would be to find a director that is sympathetic to the situation and then get guidance from there.

This post was started four days ago, and look at the interest and reponses!

I would say this post itself shows that their is extreme interest in promoting the heavier boned miniature horses. I hope that you able to succeed in this accomplished.

You would need "breed standard" for heavy boned horses?

You would need "breed standard" for heavy boned horses?
I often hear people saying there's no standard but height for mini's...setting up a "new division" like this would give us a great opportunity to get things right from the start.
default_biggrin.png

After seeing Little Vanner and the Draft Pull pics...I'm off hunting next spring for one of these beauties.

default_wub.png

That wouldn't be hard to get. The only thing that may be hard is the sub convex to convex profile but the rounder croup, short back, medium to low set tail, deep thicker set neck, under set hocks etc is alreay there in many mini's. If I was to call my stud a "type" I'd call him Spanish...after owning Spanish horses he has everything I'd expect to see. Only thing he lacks is the convex profile but I had a half Sorraia (Portuguese) colt and his profile was straight.

default_rolleyes.gif
default_wink.png
I have been keeping my eyes open for a mini mare with more of a straight or convex head. Someone posted pictures of some unregistered mares about a year ago and I saw a mare there that would have been prefect. I'll find one eventually that I'll be able to get my hands on. Before I do too much, I want to see what my stud produces. His first baby will be born early April.

This black mare, now owned by a friend always reminded me af a draft style mini.

IMAG035A.GIF

IMAG036A.JPG

default_rolleyes.gif
default_wink.png
I have been keeping my eyes open for a mini mare with more of a straight or convex head. Someone posted pictures of some unregistered mares about a year ago and I saw a mare there that would have been prefect. I'll find one eventually that I'll be able to get my hands on. Before I do too much, I want to see what my stud produces. His first baby will be born early April.
Maggie has that kind of head....you can see in one of the earlier posts in this thread. She is not what is in fashion now but I personally love the way her head is.

I have said in the past that their needs to be foundation classes for the minis. I was thinking more on the lines and this goes with AMHR that if you have a mini that has 4 generations back of no ASPC papered horses your horse is qualified for the foundation divison and your papers will have a foundation seal.

You can have halter and driving. I say for only under and overs for now that way its not a huge amount of more classes.

I think their could be some way where we can have it like the foundation shetlands.

I don't know much about AMHA so just talking about AMHR. I would like to see this pass but not sure who to go and how tow word it.

Maggie has that kind of head....you can see in one of the earlier posts in this thread. She is not what is in fashion now but I personally love the way her head is.
Yup, just went back and looked .. she does
default_biggrin.png

Well, I guess I'm going to go against the grain here and say I would NOT want to see a separate show division for stockier horses.

My stock type miniatures have already competed successfully in color, showmanship, hunter/jumping, halter obstacle and driving. So what if that type doesn't consistently win at halter! There are plenty of classes to enter that don't require a super refined "halter" horse. How many of the top halter mares and stallions are out there winning at jumping or halter obstacle? I'd bet not many.

If you want to win in a halter class buy or breed a horse that fits in with other current winning halter horses, don't try to make a separate division. As several people have mentioned, the stockier type miniature is more of a "using" horse, so let's show them off in classes that promote using.

many.
If you want to win in a halter class buy or breed a horse that fits in with other current winning halter horses, don't try to make a separate division. As several people have mentioned, the stockier type miniature is more of a "using" horse, so let's show them off in classes that promote using.
I do see you point, and I can't speak for anyone else...but I don't think it's about "winning" halter classes, but about improving the marketability of minis that "go against" the current trend.

The reason I started this thread is because I'm afraid that the trend toward the lighter-boned, more refined type of mini will one day leave the heavier boned "draft" style obsolete.

I want to say again I don't have anything against any style, color or usage of ANY mini--I love all miniature horses!
default_wub.png

I have to say very few if any of these minis on this thread are what I consider draft style minis- I see them as stocky some coarse- some overweight -( I have a couple like that as well) but not drafty

Over on the photo gallery there are pictures of true draft type minis you can see the difference

That is why I personally would vote against adding a division unless it was clearly spelled out in the rule book the last thing we need is a division that is subjective

100% agree with Lisa...99% of the mini's shown on this thread aren't draft in type. One is Vanner in type
default_wub.png
but I'm not sure if Vanners are truely draft or cob. The thread in the photo section has some real draft looking ones.

My only concern with making a division for true draft types is...well, just how many divisions for type can we have? Because if you have one for Draft types...what about the other HUGE, HUGE percent of mini's out there that aren't draft...aren't Arab but are your "normal, everyday mini like the majority of horses shown in this thread...PONY TYPE. I have two of these...extremely well put together ponies. One is more refined but certainly not araby looking but they both have really great conformation and are very much like the vast majority of mini's shown on this site - very nice miniature ponies. Well put together, very useable conformation, and very nice pony in type just like most of the ponies that people post pictures of here day after day...where do they fit in? How about a new division lol
default_biggrin.png
JK

I will say I love the clip job on the "vanner" mini and I think I might try that with one we have he is colored just like a Clyde sabino big blaze and all I am going to try to clip his legs out in the spring to give him the feathered look as well- cool idea
default_smile.png

Over on the photo gallery there are pictures of true draft type minis you can see the differenceThat is why I personally would vote against adding a division unless it was clearly spelled out in the rule book the last thing we need is a division that is subjective

Oops...hit the wrong button. Let's try again.
default_rolleyes.gif
LOL

Over on the photo gallery there are pictures of true draft type minis you can see the differenceThat is why I personally would vote against adding a division unless it was clearly spelled out in the rule book the last thing we need is a division that is subjective
Very good point--and it's just that type of "draft" that I saw at my local fair.

And miniwhinny had a great point, also: how many divisions in type can we have? It would be hard to say "yes" to one type and "no" to another when if it came to adding classes. That could get messy in a hurry and cause a lot of hard feelings.

Latest posts

Back