Draft Style Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

miniwhinny74

Reaction score
I was just curious if anyone breeds draft style minis.

Last night I saw several draft style minis in harness at the local fair, and they were GORGEOUS. (I wish I had pictures to post, but my camera broke a while back and I have not yet replaced it.) I've seen so many of the Arabian style minis that made my heart flutter
default_wub.png
but these guys amazed and intrigued me. I guess 'cause all of the heavier type minis I have seen have always been "out of pasture" with shaggy coats and no grooming--not really much to get excited over.
default_wink.png

The horses I saw looked just like draft horses, only in minature. Wide chests, strong quarters, heavy necks, and suprisingly noble and beautiful heads. They were trimmed and clipped and shining with good health, and I just fell in love with them. And they could move--collected and stepping high with flexed necks.
default_wub.png

Somebody out there must be breeding them, but it seems most are breeding for the lighter boned minis. I'd just hate it if these incredible horses (the draft style) faded away because of lack interest. Does anyone here breed them, or know of anyone who does?

What is your opinions on draft styles? Love 'em or hate 'em?

my little 31"mare is more drafty type - more like a stocky qaurter horse. i prefer it to my stallions more arab build. ( but i have always preferred qh lol) i am not sure of anyone who breed them , i just happened upon her becuase the lady was getting out of minis and thought she wasgood for anything.

I have a draft style stallion just like what you speak of though I dont use him for breeding he is midnight black and I love him sooo much. But since the trend has been away from that kind of mini we are not using him for breeding but have been thinking of spending the money to have him trained to drive. He would do nothing as a show horse because as you said he has a wide chest and thick neck and an apple butt to die for. Many big horse friends pick him as their favorite when they come to see the horses.

Let's just put it this way -

If I saw a Miniature Horse (38" & under) that looked like a mirror image of a Clydesdale. . . . .I would give anything to have him/her. Would there be any way to breed for the "feathers" that you see on a Clydesdale? How would you go about making "Miniature Clydesdales"? 

I may have found my calling!!! 
default_laugh.png

Of all the mini horse websites I have visited over the years LOL I have never seen anyone breeding for the draft type.

I often wonder why people prefer the arab type. In the large horse world there are SO many types why cant there be in miniatures too ?

I have seen one farm that has a website that advertised some of their horses as perfect for breeding for the draft type and they bred them and I think they had a team too but cant remember, and sorry cant remember who the farm was either, it was I while ago and I look at too many websites to remember them all
default_rolleyes.gif

Let's just put it this way -
If I saw a Miniature Horse (38" & under) that looked like a mirror image of a Clydesdale. . . . .I would give anything to have him/her. Would there be any way to breed for the "feathers" that you see on a Clydesdale? How would you go about making "Miniature Clydesdales"?

default_laugh.png

THAT IS MY BREEDING STALLION ALL THE WAY!!! He is a spitting image of a miniature clydesdale with the feathering to boot! I even advertize him as such. I know that the big breeders want away with these types and I do own the refined type as well BUT my biggest love is my 30.5 inch Bobby. Talk about a power house in the cart and very drafty! Im even cutting his tail off so its short and same with his mane so I can do it up in bows like a clyd.
default_wub.png
His foals turn out just like him and I am expecting a foal next year that I am hoping looks just like him in every way! My Bobby is a deep rich mahagany bay with jet black points and feather everywhere! He is of the old bloodlines of Komokos and Johnstons and has a little dishy face with huge does eyes that just make you melt. Out of all 7 minis on my farm most being refined, everyone... I mean EVERYONE always falls head over feet in love with him.

Im sooooo glad Im not the only one out there that loves this type and sees the beauty they have!
default_laugh.png

Sorry dont know how to post photos BUT oh do I have some awesome ones of Bobby!

Last edited by a moderator:
The draft style minis are super cute, but I also like the arab types as well. I guess people like the arab type more because they do better in the showring. But I really do like the draft type as well. They are great for harness.

Here is my little filly--she reminds me of a Fjord!!!!! She is very "drafty" built and will be a superb driving horse!!!

DSC03465.jpg

In this pic my stallion reminds me of a draft horse somewhat. Hes not really that thick but being a little fatty gives that impression.

70e30c3d.jpg

Pic of him a bit more fit

97388ebc.jpg

I agree, I had one of each. My litte mini QH died 3 months ago. He had a bigger than life personality, and could pull anything. He was wonderful. My little mini arab, is so beautiufl, but I miss his personality. She will learn to pull cart this winter.

Lildrummer

Let's just put it this way -If I saw a Miniature Horse (38" & under) that looked like a mirror image of a Clydesdale. . . . .I would give anything to have him/her. Would there be any way to breed for the "feathers" that you see on a Clydesdale? How would you go about making "Miniature Clydesdales"?

There is a farm that has been breeding "mini-clydes" for about 20+ years now. They crossed Clydes with Hackney ponies. Now, if you took one of their 12-13hh ponies, and bred it to a drafty, feathered style of miniature, and kept breeding those resultant crosses; you just might have something in a few years.

It's GREAT to hear this conversation about DRAFT minis!

We have been breeding and training mini drafts for 25 years and can't imagine any other style!

We love to drive - singles and multiple hitches. Take a look at our web-site: bryantsminiatures.com

We have many pictures there that should give you some ideas.

Please feel free to give us a call or e-mail us anytime.

We drive year 'round - sleighs in the winter and wagons, carts, etc in the summer.

we have a drafty type mini mare. shes 37" tall and stcoky and she looks like a small draft mare. shes also a great buggy mare.

Maggie is more of a drafty type. Not want they want now a days but I love her anyway.
default_laugh.png
I love her face but its not popular. Personally I like something with a more bone to them...suits me more with what I do.

maggiemewalking.jpg

I just lost a mare who was built like a Sorrel Belgian. Big platter feet (as it got closer to farrier time) big rear, heavy neck, long face. She was what I call the "Old Style". IMO people stopped breeding that type as they tried to get away from the old style Shetland pony look. She was a sweetheart. Apparently fell into our ditch (which had 8" of water in that particular spot) and drowned. RIP Old Flame

MY DRIVING HORSE IS BUILT LIKE A DRAFT HORSE. HE HAS AN AWESOME TROTAND IS A PLEASURE TO WATCH. ALL OF HIS FOALS HAVE BEEN LIKE HIM WITH BEAUTIFUL LITTLE HEADS. PEOPLE HAVE WANTED ME TO GELD HIM, I CAN'T IT WOULD RUIN HIM. I HAVE OTHER MORE REFINED STALLIONS BUT HE IS MY LOVE.

In this pic my stallion reminds me of a draft horse somewhat. Pic of him a bit more fit
97388ebc.jpg
Okay for fear of being flamed hehehe I don't see any draft style in any of the ponies shown. For example this ponies legs aren't draft...and his butt is totally not draft and his chest in not draft...drafts are totally rear wheel drive beasts with powerful pulling shoulders and have HUGE apple butts. I do see 100% typical pony conformation and cute...I'm not knocking him
default_biggrin.png
. If you've owned drafts you'll know that their heads, necks, chests, leg width and hoof size in comparrison to the leg bone, apple butts and back width isn't like any of the horses shown or web sites advertising draft mini's. What I see truely is 100% typical pony conformation.

Go google drafts and ponies...you"ll see.

I know that we're just calling them that "type" but I still don't see enough traits to see them as that type. Like I said I do see very, very typical pony type as opposed to the araby type that we see a lot of.

I'd still LOVE to see a true draft type mini. Im wondering if we're just using that description for those not of araby refined type...hey...call them pony type lol nothing wrong with that.

My gelding Cozy Corners Just Gone Bananas I think of as a draft type

He is a Shadow Oaks Top Banana grandson. By Samis Just Bananas Impact

he was our first mini in 2004 and he made us switch from the world of biggies

he taught us the fun a mini could be. He is still my driving gelding and I would not want to part with him. I love both types of minis but I am drawn toward the refined Arab type

scan0002fr.gif

paradebananapooh.jpg

HPIM0128.jpg

Latest posts

Back