Suggestions For Giving My Mini Medication

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1roadtoad

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone could share suggestions as to how to give a powdered medication to my mini. My boy Cooper has been diagnosed with Lyme's Disease and he really hates taking the prescribed Doxycycline twice a day. The Doxy comes as a powder which is apple flavored. You would think that he would like it, he does not. I have tried giving it to him in the following ways: Plain-On top of his grain, mixed with applesauce under his grain, mixed with applesauce under his grain with molasses on top, mixed with applesauce in a syringe to put it in his mouth and then the same with a little molasses added. He dislikes every way that I've tried to get the Doxy into him. You would think the syringe would be easiest, but he is head strong, literally. He's young, 4 yrs. old and on the tall side for a mini, at 38." Did I mention that he was strong? I am under 5' and weigh 102 lbs and this guy can flip his head around so that it almost flips me around his stall. He is not a mean boy, just strong and doesn't want to taste this medication. I've had 3 other horses over the last 30 years get Lyme's and I never had any trouble giving them their meds. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks

My suggestion: Tie him short to a solid post and keep using the syringe. Give a good treat after. I have to give mine meds every day too. I use the syringe w/ molasses water. By the time he's done with the meds he'll be trained to take it. Good Luck! :)

Thank you for the suggestion, I will try it. I have a question about the amount of molasses. I'm always worried about giving too much of anything that is high in sugar content. How much molasses do you think you use? Tsp ? Tbsp? I just don't want this youngster to end up with laminitis. Thanks

I'm not a fan of tying to a post. Flinging himself backward, jerking, and pulling are so bad for him--physically and mentally. Silly boy!
I just got a pill taking product from my vet for our dog. It is called ProbioWrap. It comes in a little jar and you pull out a little, roll it around the dose. It is peanut butter based. I don't see anything in the ingredients that a horse could not eat. I'm not sure if this is appropriate for a horse, or how large your powdered dose is. But it's an idea to ask your vet. If I have to give mine a dose in the future, I'm going to try it.

Well, maybe my method would be unconventional as well. I like the apple sauce and powder in a syringe. I would (and often do for those who don't like deworming paste and are challenging with oral meds) reach into the mouth, over the bars avoiding teeth, and grab the tongue, very gently guiding it to the side of the mouth and just outside. I will not pull too hard to disrupt the hyoid bone, but it certainly gets their attention and makes examining the inside of the mouth or administering medication/dewormer quite easy.
I don't like to wrestle with headstrong ones or who have learned to flip their heads around as evasion, I just find a different way to work around. It definitely gets their attention the first time!

When I taught equine first-aid to the army at the local garrison, I did that demonstration and had all their respect following. Party tricks...

It's probably a fairly large dose. My first try would be a larger syringe with more applesauce, molasses. My experience has been at least 3/4 something good to 1/4 pills. Then I would try for something other than applesauce. Carrot baby food? Carrots in a blender? Karo syrup? Sunflower butter? Soaked hay or alfalfa pellets? Whatever he likes spread it outside the syringe as well as inside. Actually, you can try speading it all over the outside a few times, empty, then sneak in the meds. Failing all else, I'm also not a fan of tying short to a post, but I'm not a fan of getting thrown around and injured either. And this is medicine that he needs, so that is what I would try next. With a treat and lots of good boys after. As far as how much sugar, you have to decide for yourself what's worth the risk, I would think the Lymes is more serious than a chance of laminitis.

Wow, thank you for all the suggestions. I will go down the list until I find one that works well. Another 25 days, UGH!
We'll figure it out. Thanks again.

Uckele makes a sugar-free liquid flavoring, I think it comes in molasses and peppermint flavors. You can get it in pint size bottles or by the gallon. Maybe the peppermint would be strong enough smelling, but still liked by the horse that you can get the medicine down (peppermint might cover the medicine smell better than molasses or apple). Another option is baby food carrots or pumpkin puree` (plain pumpkin, not pumpkin pie).
I'll grab a link for the Uckele... Uckele Flavorings & Treats - Product Categories - Horse It's also available through some retail on-line sites.

Not sure how big of a volume of powder this is but I have heard of some people using a dried apricot or a prune and putting the medicine in the hole where the pit used to be. If it's something small enough then you could do one or two by themselves, then one with medicine, etc. Not sure how many prunes you'd want to feed a horse but I wouldn't think a few dried apricots a day would be a huge issue unless he's known to be seriously IR or a major laminitis risk. The key is to find something he likes well enough to overcome his suspicion over the medicine. Good luck!

I use a small amount of a senior/adult grain containing molasses put the antibiotic in it mix around and they eat it every single time. I just did 10 days like that to mine they passed around a respiratory

When giving Goldie a powdered med twice a day this summer, like you I tried a variety of mixes to tempt her but no dice. So then I took a syringe, cut off the front of the syringe leaving a larger opening. I then measured her powder poured it into the syringe, put an arm over her neck then simply inserted the syringe into the side of her mouth as I do for paste worming and pushed the plunger.Worked great. I always dosed her right before feeding so she had an instant reward.

When giving Goldie a powdered med twice a day this summer, like you I tried a variety of mixes to tempt her but no dice. So then I took a syringe, cut off the front of the syringe leaving a larger opening. I then measured her powder poured it into the syringe, put an arm over her neck then simply inserted the syringe into the side of her mouth as I do for paste worming and pushed the plunger.Worked great. I always dosed her right before feeding so she had an instant reward.
Catheter tip syringes are great for oral dosing, as they already have a bigger opening.

More good ideas. Thanks. I have been trying the various suggestions that have been made, as each one seems to last for about 2 doses, then he gets smart to the meds being administered in yet another way. I will keep changing things up as necessary. Only 23 more days to go!

I've given more than my share of doxy :) and I've always use applesauce and about a teaspoon or 2 of molasses mixed together. For the times when the meds where in pill form a coffee bean grinder is a help to get the pills pulverized so they mix easy. Smear some molasses on the end of the syringe so they taste it first and they learn pretty quick it's not so bad. At this point mine usually see the syringe as a treat.

Latest posts

Back