Draft Style Minis

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I always thought Sam...who I sold to a very sweet man, was a perfect miniature Belgian..he was a great little horse that was a pullin fool with the cart..nothing phased him!

calenderboy.jpg

I don't see any draft style in any of the ponies shown...I do see very, very typical pony type as opposed to the araby type that we see a lot of.
That's okay...the draft type don't look like drafts and the araby type don't look like Arabs, lol!

How bout my VERY TINY 27" (if he is standing on the tips of his little hooves) Mini Gypsy Vanner... Though he is super refined. His build is "stout" and boy can he show off

When I clip him I let his "feathers" on. And he really has some wonderful feathers, better than my friesian's actually.

I have taken him to expos and he is a real hit... lets see if I can get the picture to post:

Meet Mustardseed Legionaires Destiny, my awesome Tiny MAN!

And... he produces some Lovely foals. He LOVES his job, whether it is greeting thousands of people...touching him all day long, at an expo, or lovin his mares!

DestinyAmericanIdolsm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Meet Pocco he is also a drafty type, or pony type if you please:)

He is a bit of a chunk but has a big bum and wide chest IMO.

Pocco-1.jpg

WOW!!!!! Julie,

You are right - Mustardseed Legionaires Destiny is indeed awesome!!
default_wub.png

And.... Meet our 2009 colt by Mustardseeds Legionaires Destiny... a chip off the old block...

Azariahs Spring Break... on target to mature at a whopping 27"

And... I can't WAIT to see if he makes feathers like his daddy!!!

Skipsm3386.jpg

Skipsm2974.jpg

Mini I know he isn't draft type. Was just commenting in the first pic he sort of does remind me of a draft horse, but the second pic is to show his trimmer self that doesn't look drafty.

In this pic my stallion reminds me of a draft horse somewhat. Pic of him a bit more fit
97388ebc.jpg
Okay for fear of being flamed hehehe I don't see any draft style in any of the ponies shown. For example this ponies legs aren't draft...and his butt is totally not draft and his chest in not draft...drafts are totally rear wheel drive beasts with powerful pulling shoulders and have HUGE apple butts. I do see 100% typical pony conformation and cute...I'm not knocking him
default_biggrin.png
. If you've owned drafts you'll know that their heads, necks, chests, leg width and hoof size in comparrison to the leg bone, apple butts and back width isn't like any of the horses shown or web sites advertising draft mini's. What I see truely is 100% typical pony conformation.

Go google drafts and ponies...you"ll see.

I know that we're just calling them that "type" but I still don't see enough traits to see them as that type. Like I said I do see very, very typical pony type as opposed to the araby type that we see a lot of.

I'd still LOVE to see a true draft type mini. Im wondering if we're just using that description for those not of araby refined type...hey...call them pony type lol nothing wrong with that.

This is one of our 'pet' gals, she's about 40" tall (though she's out of and sired by 36" minis!) Anywho, don't think she's the "draft" type you're thinking, she reminds me more of a smaller Quarter Horse, but she's a TANK.. Hope to break her to drive..

Savannah4.gif

Savannah8.gif

Savannah2.gif

This is one of our 'pet' gals, she's about 40" tall (though she's out of and sired by 36" minis!) Anywho, don't think she's the "draft" type you're thinking, she reminds me more of a smaller Quarter Horse, but she's a TANK.. Hope to break her to drive..
Savannah4.gif

Savannah8.gif

Savannah2.gif

She is gorgeous!
default_wub.png

Julie, we need to see some more photos of your mini draft! He is really special.

Julie your boy is really nice and I can see why he's such a big hit.
default_aktion033.gif
Is that you in the photo? If so, now I can put a face with your name.
default_smile.png

Debbie

Here are some pics of our 37" mini mare that i think is drafty.....i think the pics will show.......just copy and paste into your browser....

C:\Users\julee riddle\Pictures\The Minis\SANY0029.JPG

C:\Users\julee riddle\Pictures\The Minis\SANY0987.JPG

She doesn't have the bone in the leg, but her body and neck sure remind me of a draft! This is Sienna, 2 1/2 months old. This girl has chest!
default_wink.png

Sienna.lft.8-7-09-426x311.jpg

Sienna.lft3.8-7-09-423x315.jpg

i love the mustard seeds legionair or something like that i looked and my mini is realated to a LOT of mustardseed horses

Oh--I have a few who have been referred to as draft (and beautiful).
default_biggrin.png

Most of you have seen Chloe--who is getting more flea bites every day!
default_wub.png

Chloemoves.jpg

ChloeBearBlue.jpg

ChloeBear2_edited-1.jpg

Chloe had a 30" filly in 2005--Blessing--who is now owned by Julie. Blessing looks just like Chloe, only shorter. Julie gave me permission to post some shots I've had. (Blessing's sire is a tiny refined pinto.)

Blessingleading6.jpg

Blessing1.jpg

IMG_5859.jpg

And in 2009 she gave me Tucker--my first colt, who looks to be going the draft direction! This boy will be able to go all day!!
default_biggrin.png
Jazz is his sire--who has the nicest apple butt ever.
default_wink.png

IMG_1649.jpg

Tuckeredit-1.jpg

Oh yes, I LOVE the draft types.
default_wub.png

Clydesdale breed-type Falabellas...she never wants anyone to forget about the beauty, musculature and style of the Clydesdale Falabellas.
I just don't see any "Clyde" there at all...wrong colour, and no feather...Belgian draft colour though. I think a lot of the old-type of miniatures looked quite drafty, big-bodied-n-short-legged...although todays North American draft breeders puts a lot more leg on their breeds than years ago too.

Lucky-C-Acres-Minis, that mare of yours is one of the reasons we should be able to keep our oversized horses in the breeding pen...that mare has the conformation and substance that this breed is going to need in a few years. (And chances are, she will produce smaller than herself) So many breeders are striving so hard for "refinement" and "Arab-type" that I see so many spindle-legged, narrow chested horses with no butts, "but they have a pretty head and neck...so all is good". As for her size...I have a gelding that just went to 38.75 as a five year old, out of two solidly bred AMHA horses!!!!!!! You think YOU were surprised!

Looking at everyones pictures is a lot of fun. I have long been a proponet of providing classes for the stockier type Quarter Horse or Draft or whatever you want to call them at the shows. Both in the halter and driving portions of a show.
default_wink.png

I think there are a lot of folks out there that like the heavier, stocky type minis and it would encourage the use of these little guys for more than pasture ornaments. The registries are always looking for ways to encourage participation and I think this is a natural.
default_yes.gif

I hadn't read enough replies to see photos--I love so many--Lori, yellowrose, Julie and Cristina!! Nice, nice horses. Cristina--we've had this talk so many times--nice to see a post on it.
default_smile.png

Latest posts

Back