Does anyone know this person?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garyo

Reaction score
A person named Roy Cavender sent the following email. The wording just seemed odd to me so I thought I'd ask if anyone knew him.

can i make payment via a certified check and i am located in ky and i would be sending a courier to come pick up once all necessary arrnagement and conclusion has been made..

Genuine? Scam?

That sure sounds like a scam attempt to me, Gary
default_sad.png

A person named Roy Cavender sent the following email. The wording just seemed odd to me so I thought I'd ask if anyone knew him.
can i make payment via a certified check and i am located in ky and i would be sending a courier to come pick up once all necessary arrnagement and conclusion has been made..

Genuine? Scam?
if you can get a landline number you can reverse lookup on Anywho.com to see if he is listed there. Can also verify an address through the post office in the town he lives in. Looking at it, it looks like a scam. How many people send a "courier", we call them horse haulers, etc. Certified checks can also be printed up on line and be bogus. Be careful with this one is my opinion.

It has a scammy look to me right off the bat..

One way you can know for sure is ask him what his phone # is.

He will most likely tell you he is hearing impaired, or will stop all communications with you..

Any time I hear Certified Check, in an e-mail response to pay for a horse, I immediatly start suspecting scam.

He probably did not ask you one question about the horse, as they usually dont.

Most of these scammers have a form letter that they send to hundreds of people,

and just change out one or two words, to fit the new recipents item for sale.
default_no.gif

Some of them get lazy and dont even do that - they just refer to your horse as "the item for sale

Last edited by a moderator:
it sounds like a scam to me too Gary

tell him to send the money western union you only take cash

Definitely Scam. Take it from me, I was suspicious of a woman in England that conversed with me many times - hubby kept saying "let her send the check - you still have the horse - don't ship till clears, etc - what do you have to loose?". I even called her number in England and got some woman who barely spoke English! was not her - false number too.

Well I beat hubby over the head with a frying pan when all the signs were there - including talking to the supposed shipping company who said the person they mentioned was probably found on their website and didn't even work there anymore - - and finally a forged check arrived from some Lamberghini (sp?) car dealership in NJ! LOL This woman supposedly was in England. the check was double the amount, came overnight priority and wanted change. No, I did not go to the bank with the check - I called the bank and the company on the check.

After many phone calls to the car dealership and the shippers trying to punish this woman and shut her down - stupid me actually contacted yahoo to warn others of this scam - she in return falsely reported me - and yahoo shut down my website and email!! For two months till it got worked out!

I was 2 months dead time arguing my case with yahoo when they finally completed their investigation they said she wasn't even a yahoo member that she altered the email address! These scammers go to extremes to get your money and screw you!

I got a credit from yahoo for those two months and an apology - but I learned my lesson that from now on - I just delete their email and don't respond - rather than take the chance of them getting mad and punishing me instead.

The main red flag is "what condition is it", "looking to read from you soon", "can pick up at your doorstep", "what is last price" ... and many more. I agree with the other responses in this topic.

If you aren't exactly sure - and don't want to loose a potential sale or insult a real inquiry - you can always respond with comments as you'll accept only the amount of purchase price, you will only accept payment via bank wire (this scares them off usually), no change returned, quote the amount of shipping and/or quarentine and that you do not take the money for that - they pay the shipper directly, etc. Give them enough rules and if they are legitimate, it won't be any surprise to them and they'll understand.

For this one you describe - I'd just delete it.

I don't know this guy, but he also just contacted me with the same situation. Picked out one of my horses and wants to send me a "certified check" for payment and will arrange for pickup. Sound familiar?

I sent him an email asking for all his contact information so that I can do up a contract for him. We will see if he responds to that.
default_smile.png

hello,

Do you still have this advert for sale? if yes kindly email me your fixed

price.Thanks*************************************************************************************

Here's another one. . . .. it amazes me that the scammers always seem to find someone to fall for their tricks.

Almost every week our little local newspaper speaks of another person who lost money, and how many will never say anything due to emabarrasment.

Roy is emailing me too. I had to refer him to my website 3 times to see what I have. He told me his price range and I told him I had some in that range and to go look. He came back asking for more info on one of my mares. I gave it to him and he just offered to pay by that kind of check and he mentioned that once it cleared my bank, he would send for her.

I told him I would perfer a US postal money order and I asked him what kind of home he would give her, where is he, etc. I'll see what he says back.

I've sold to people that don't communicate very well in emails. I don't hold that against them. But I'm always careful about scams too!

I'm glad for this thread because I didn't know he was emailing you guys too! You can't be too careful!

He just replied that he breeds and raises live stock in KY and she'd be in good hands. He said he can only pay by certified check. I again said I'd only take Western Union or US postal money order so why can't he take cash and go purchase one of those?

Yup, I'm bored! LOL
default_rolleyes.gif

I got one, too from Ole Roy. First it sounded ok, then it says Im looking at the price 500-1500 I said Double was priced 5000 Im willing to neg, I said do you still want pictures. I mean I dont want to go to all the trouble if its too much. He shoots back will you take 4000.00, ok sure Im dumb you havent seen pictures and already negotiating a price. Scrammer.

I am pretty sure it is a scam. He has never asked for pics of my minis for sale. I just gave him a short list of their names, ages and prices. He immediately picked one from that list. Never even looked at them. And he also told me that he wants a horse for his granddaughter to ride and be useful around the farm.
default_wacko.png

I am not going to correspond with him anymore. When I asked for his contact info so that I could call him. He responded by asking me for my mailing address.

Yeah I know. I've been playing with him for 2 days.

I kept saying what form of money I would take. I asked him what a certified check was to see what he'd say! I asked him why he could not take money and go purchase a money order or Western Union and he got snarky.

So I ended it.

-------------------------------------------------

Roy:

a certified check is a normal check that you take to your bank so wont you accept a check.. and i have said wont lay claim on the horse not until cash is in your hand ...unless you have other motives...

ME:

I do not have any motives. I do know that many people say they will pay by certified check and a month later the check bounces and the money gets taken out of the horse seller's bank account. (scammed)

I have a high quality horse for sale. I prefer a mode of payment I feel safe getting. I hear you have contacted 5-6 other breeders saying you will send them certified checks too.

I'm sorry if you are offended because We only accept safe modes of cash payment when we sell horses. I'm sorry you can't understand that I'm just being careful.

I'm sorry that you will be missing out on a nice horse because you won't send a form of payment I can accept.

~Robin~

--------------------------------------------------

In other words, I know you are a scammer and so does everyone else you've been contacting! I was hoping he would answer my above email so I could quit pretending I took him seriously and not be as polite (LOL) but he gave up emailing me! I wonder why?

default_rolleyes.gif

HE'S A SCAMMER IT SOUNDS LIKE!!! He just contacted me looking for minis too! And I sent him on to another friend. If he's contacting you and me and others, he's scamming.... WOW! I'm glad you posted about him! THANKS!
default_new_shocked.gif

Me Too!! I told him to never contact me again and called him a very bad name!!! LOL SCAM!!!!!

I went so far with one scammer as to ask for pictures of the barn and pasture the horse would be in after it arrived. I told them I also needed references from a certified vet and another person that knew him that I could call sometime. He called me a scammer and quite emailing me. LOLOL

That guy e-mailed me too and I knew Right off the bat he was a scammer so I never responded I can't believe he e-mailed all of you guys too!!
default_wacko.png

~Jessica

Back