Is this a scammer email or not?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxy's_mom

Reaction score
Hey everyone! I've had my mini gelding for sale for several months now. I posted a new on horseville.com 10/29/12. I received a email this morning from the website saying I had an interested party and a copy of the message. I replied back to the interested party and received a another message from them earlier today, 10/30/12. I'm wanting another opinion from all of you as to what you think before I respond back to this person. I'm leaving out the person's name and location - if you're wanting to that info please pm me!

1st message from interested person:

=========================

Hello, Do you still have it for sale and do you have more pics love to see. also why are you selling.

=========================

My response:

Hello. Thanks for you interest. Yes I still have IT for sale - his name is Jesse and he's a double registered Miniature Horse gelding. I'm selling him because I don't have time he needs to commit to the training that he deserves and I'm also wanting to cut down the number of horses that I have. If you have any more questions about Jesse, please feel free to ask them and I'll do the best I can to answer them.

I've attached more pictures of Jesse for you to see. All were taken within the last month.

I have a few questions for you - Where are from? Do you have any horse experience, if so what kind? How many horses do you currently own now? What are your plans for my horse?

Thank you for your interest.

Response back from interested person:

Thanks for the response.. I check the post again and am okay with the condition and the price .Do you have the paper for the horse and when was the last coggin text done, am buying as a birthday gift for my wife she as 10yrs experience with horses. Payment will be by check and i will it send via USPS which will be next day delivery, i will send you a tracking number to check it as soon as it is sent out to you. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment to avoid delay and to enable pick up company to schedule an appropriate time for the pick-up at your location after check has been cashed,as i have other properties to be moved along with this item.I would have really love to come for the viewing but due to my work frame that might not be possible,but if you have the pics,might want to have a good look. Please do get back to me with your full name and address including your cell and land number so i can make out payment to you asap. Regards....

So what is your opinion on this? I'm thinking scammer?

Becky M.

Scammer!

Payment will be by check and i will it send via USPS which will be next day delivery, i will send you a tracking number to check it as soon as it is sent out to you. I'll be responsible for the pick-up and the pick up money will be included in your payment

This statement is a give away

I think its a scammer. If i was talking to a seller via email, i would at least check my spelling LOL, which this guy didnt. And also, you dont need all of the sellers information, land line, really? He seems to be talking about money and payment more than why he actually wants the gelding, which is probably what your supposed to do. And, his work frame cant work to even see the horse, how is he supposed to take care of it???

I wouldnt trust this person for many reasons.

Run the other way.
default_xreiter.gif

Thanks everyone for your opinions! I was thinking the same thing but wanted other's opinions first! This will be the third scammer I've had contact me via TWO different sales sites on my horse. Now just to send a nice surprise email back to this person to tell I'm not selling my horse to a person like them!

Thanks again!

Becky M.

We had nearly the same exchange regarding a tractor. The language was off, and could apply to anything (it, property). Also the payment thing. I only sell to people I can see, and preferably see where "it" is going...

Regarding the poor spelling... some guys are functionally illeterate and he may be in foreign territory buying a horse as a gift. And it's not out of line that a fellow might be too busy to view the animal (although, I'd be leery of inviting him over to have a look-see at He==

BUT... he first comments that the condition of IT sounds o.k. ....but you never really commented on the condition of Jesse. (i.e., maybe Jesse is missing a couple ears or legs or something.)

And it seems a little odd that he wants full name, address, and all contact numbers. ...not sure what he could do with that info.

As mentioned, I'd listen to my gut, but if you're still in the game, insist on the information from him first and call him (preferably from a number that he can't "see.")

my opinion scam ....I doubt the check will be any good

and you may have someone show up for the horse and of course you would pay the hauler since he included that in the check to you

Scammer
default_no.gif
They use the same basic message all the time and it must work or you would think they would give up.

For Scammers, this is their full time job and they work at it tirelessly. All they need is one victim in a day to make it very worthwhile and one a week will likely be a normal workers' salary.

This is a scam and is 'phishing' for much of your personal information!!! Do NOT give your address or any personal info out on emails like this! Usually their initial email is brief like what you got and everything is labeled with an 'it' so they dont have to keep track of what or who they are trying to scam.

I agree- RUN AWAY and I would not respond to them again.

Run!!! I also noticed these scammers are getting more savy trying to trick those who are unsuspected!!! Run!!

Scam.

Notify the website you placed the ads with so that they can block this scammer.

ALSO, block that email from your email so you do not get any further contacts.

Thanks again everyone for your input! I sent a reply back to this person giving them quite the "ear full" if you will about what they are doing. The funny and best part was that they sent a reply back to my email stating the exact same thing as their last reply!! Needless to say they are now marked as spam and the website that my horse's sale ad got a response to has been notified. Good luck to them getting another one past an unsuspecting seller.

The sad part about the whole thing is that the majority of interested parties on my gelding have been scammers. I'm starting to wonder if my boy is really that bad looking - not terribly bad based on the opinions of forum members - or he's just to tall for most people to take a chance on him going over - he's currently right at 34-34.5 (depending on how nervous he is) at 2 years old.

Thanks again for you help!

Becky M.

Back