Critiques needed

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kayla221444

Reaction score
I am going to post photos of my somewhat new stallion prospect. I want HONEST anwsers from people who know about REAL conformation!
default_wink.png
Dont worrie it wont hurt my feelings! I believe that his back end is weak looking in the second photo but it may just be the angle in the photo, since its not a good angel at all. And I got him in his winter woolies, but have seen many summer photos etc. To me his tail set seems extremely low. ASET FROM HIS COLOR....I want to know what his conformation is, and do you think he's got what it takes to show big time? He has GREAT bloodlines, and color, but thats not everything. thanks for looking and can't wait to hear opinions. I know the photos aren't great but You can get an Idea...but will be getting proffessional photos taken in the summer.

klassique-2006-1.jpg

doublevision2-1.jpg

and critiques on my mom's stallion as well. I believe his head looks Awkward, but could be because he was lacking the the weight department? we also just got him in his winter woolies...so haven't seen whats under it all.

Crock1.jpg

Crock2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know enough to pick your guy apart, but he is appealing to the eye, well balanced He does seem to have a lower tail set and his neck could come out a little higher from his chest, but he is easy on the eyes. I know this may be harsh, but if the other stud were mine, he would be gelded. If I owned him, I don't feel that he is appealing enough to keep intact, doesn't mean he isn't a sweetheart,but....

Carolyn

Too me yes his tail set is low, I don't think his hip looks weak. Good chest on him, overall I like the way his body looks, nice length of neck, however his neck looks very thick. If you want to show him you will really have to sweat that neck down. His head appears average but could be his color playing against him. Overall I think he is a nice looking stallion. I think he could do well at shows, just sweat that neck.

The second stallion I am sorry to say he just does not look stallion material too me. How old is he? He looks really young, if thats the case he may fit into his body but I still say he doesn't look like a stallion to me.

I know this may be harsh, but if the other stud were mine, he would be gelded. If I owned him, I don't feel that he is appealing enough to keep intact, doesn't mean he isn't a sweetheart,but....Carolyn
thank you! I thought the same, and this is the sort of Critique I like! Dont worrie about being to "harsh"! I really appreciate someone telling the truth, rather than saying hes ok....just so you dont hurt feelings...I am not offended at all...although hes not my stallion, but even if he were I wouldn't be offended. Thanks!
default_yes.gif

Are you haltering or driving the stallion? And how old is your stallion?

Too me yes his tail set is low, I don't think his hip looks weak. Good chest on him, overall I like the way his body looks, nice length of neck, however his neck looks very thick. If you want to show him you will really have to sweat that neck down. His head appears average but could be his color playing against him. Overall I think he is a nice looking stallion. I think he could do well at shows, just sweat that neck.
The second stallion I am sorry to say he just does not look stallion material too me. How old is he? He looks really young, if thats the case he may fit into his body but I still say he doesn't look like a stallion to me.

I deffinatly plan to sweat his neck, and condition him...thoes photos were of him NON-conditioned...right from the pasture.

And for the other stallion...hes going on 3 this coming year.....to me he really looks to have some dwarf charasterics...what do you think?

The first stallion is definitely far, far nicer than the second one. Personally, the second one does not look anywhere near stallion quality to me, but might make a cute show gelding if fed and conditioned.

The first horse has a very cute head and an excellent length of neck, although thick through the throatlatch and a heavy neck overall (and it will get heavier once he matures and starts breeding). The neck seems set on okay and he has a nice shoulder. He's got a decent length of back, not too long or short but his underline is a little short for me so not sure how well he moves (looks a little better in the first picture so it may be the angle of the second photo). His hip is not terribly weak, but yes his tailset is a little lower than they like to see in the halter classes. He looks like he may toe out in front. I think the length of his pasterns are okay, as some minis have awfully short pasterns. I'd like to see his gaskin a hair longer but his forearms are a good length. And of course he's a very flashy color and he's conditioned right and what a shiny black coat! I could tell you more with more photos, and front/back shots
default_smile.png

You are brave to put horses up for a critique on a public forum, but I hope you really learn from what everyone has to say! Keep in mind, too that everyone has their own opinions, and some people have a better "eye" than others, too. It's certainly subjective!

Andrea

Your right his weakest point is his rear. Building it up with conditioning may help. I would look toward driving him he looks like a MOVER to me. I'd LOVE to see a video of him at a free trot, just to see if I'm right.

Thanks so much everyone
default_biggrin.png
I love to hear everyones opinions....

Does anyone else have any inputs, or suggestions?

Nice coloring on him. I am a bit uncomfortable saying what I have to say below, but you did want an honest opinion.

He looks to be cowhocked, weak in the rear with a very low tailset. His stifle is on the weak side to, which may cause him to have stifle problems in the future. He also looks under himself in the rear. Not because of the way he is set up, but because of his conformation. Overall a very poor rear.

His shoulder is a little too straight, not allowing him to be up headed and his neck its too thick as is the throatlatch. Though the thick neck and throat latch can be improved upon with sweating. Also, his neck comes out of his chest rather than his shoulder, which is called loaded at the shoulder.

His head looks on the plain side, but hard to tell with the coloring. There does not seem to be any kind of a dish and his eye spacing seems to be a little too close. He also seems to have a rather small eye.

The top line looks a bit better in the older picture and rather poor in the younger picture. Still with the low tailset, I would consider it to be a poor topline too.

If he were mine, I would geld him and try and show him as a gelding. Locally he may do alright, Nationaly not as well.

I am sorry to say that the second boy should be gelded and sold as a pet. He is really not stallion material nor any kind of show material. He has a weak rear, poor topline, bad shoulder and neck set up. His head is too big for his body with a muzzel that is too large. He is also over at the knees.

I am not trying to be mean here and am just trying to give you the answers that you were looking for. Sorry if I have hurt your feelings.

I have to agree that the 2nd one needs a lot of weight and would look significantly better with it. His head is a bit too big for his body, but he looks like a tiny one maybe? The positive about him is that he has nice length of forearm which goes a long way to give them some proportion. The first one has potential in the showring, nice length of neck but you're really going to have to stay on it to keep it nice if it is already this thick. You're going to have to play around with setting him up to minimize the lower tail set, not a critical thing, heck I saw more than one win grand at both Nationals and the World that had as low or lower tail sets!
default_rolleyes.gif

thanks all, and riverdance, thank you I agree with most of the things you have stated, and To me his rear end looks weaker, but I also believe that the photos just are not good! That angel is horrible of him, and he has a bit more growing up to do we will just have to take him out to see what he can do!..he will be 3 in 2009.

And as for the 2nd stallion, I didn't think he was stallion nor show prospect myself either. AND HE NEEDS ALOT OF WEIGHT and hes so tiny he stands 27', which makes him very un-porportioned.

Normally I don't post on these types of questions. However, I want to say that it is nice that you are looking for honest answers from the many qualified people here on the forum.

There have been many good points brought up here - and hopefully you will take a serious look at what the other forum members are saying.

Personally - the 2nd stallion - in my opinion - is very much pet quality and should not be used for breeding. There are way too many stallions in our breed - and many of them should not be used as stallions. I am sure that he would make a wonderful pet for someone - and needs some TLC which you and your mom could probably give him. So do him a favour and have him gelded - he will have a much happier life - and since he isn't stallion material - then why not geld him sooner rather than later.

Your first stallion has some faults - but no horse is perfect. He is better than many stallions that are sold as show quality - but as Riverdance mentioned - would likely not do well at the National level. He has some nice features though - so I guess it depends on what you are trying to accomplish in your breeding program.

Best of luck.

The first stallion does have a bit of an "apple butt"... not much hip, low tail set - you are right. Hard to tell from those pictures - and I know he is not stood up - but he looks as if he toes out in front a bit. Again - that may just be the photo.

disneyhorse had a good evaluation of him, IMO.

The second guy should be a gelding, IMO. His head is coarse for his body. The first picture looks photoshopped a bit around his head - maybe the background was changed?

He looks over at the knees, tied in at the knees and cut out at the knees - all at once. If his back truly drops off behind his withers that way, there is something odd going on there. Hard to tell what his back end is like...

Front and back photos would help...
default_yes.gif

I don't know enough to say anything more than I love your stallion, don't like your Mom's. But I have no expertise what so ever! I am following this thread with interest, though. I am wondering how you sweat a neck? I know neck sweats exist, but that's all. We got out first mini this summer, and although he was not overweight at all, his neck topline flops right over with the weight of his mane. Maybe this is what he needs, too??

Amy

You have a cute horse there, but he has his faults like every horse does. The first thing that sticks out to me are his neck and head. You have had several say that he has an excellent length of neck, and I agree with this, however, because the neck is quite thick, and the head, in my opinion a little big, the head and neck don't quite look in proportion to the rest of the body. I don't see this issue in is baby picture, so it could be the angle or his growth stage. His tail set is a little low. His shoulder could be a little more laid back, but it isn't bad. His hip could also be stronger, but it isn't too bad. I think he could do well at local shows but probably not great at the national or world level. The horses that are winning at that level are amazing, and hard to beat, but gives us all something to strive for.

The second one is definitely a better gelding/pet prospect than a stallion prospect.

Okay totally forgive me if I am wrong but it looks to me like someone has taken photos of the same horse at various stages of growth and degrees of conditioning and had some fun playing with photo editing?

I think your first boy is nice. I like how he looks when he's moving so you many eventually have a very nice driving horse there when he's old enough. I also think his head is probably prettier than it looks in the pics. His markings make things looks a bit deceptive I think. I would say enjoy him, let him grow up, condition him and see what you have. It's like slowly opening a christmas present!

The second boy is not stallion material or show material at all based on the available pictures. His head and neck have been photoshopped as you can see from the other picture on your website his neck isn't nearly as "thin" as it appears in the close up which has been modified. I hope for your mom's sake she didn't buy him based on those edited pics.

I personally like your third stallion the best. I've had the fortune to see him in person and he's a nice little guy!

Good luck with whatever your decisions are. Aside from your mom's stallion, you've got some options there.

And you have some very nice mares too.
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back