Pattern Question

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RebaRox

Reaction score
I'm trying to figure out what pattern my classic Shetland, Smokey, is. I bought him at three years old from a kind lady who just didn't have the time to train him, and she had limited information on his background, as he was never registered. I do know both of his parents were double registered Shetland/ mini horses, and that his father is a grey. (She wasn't certain of his mother, but the likely mare was black with no visible pattern.) Recently, I stumbled across an old auction flyer featuring Smokey's father, that had him listed as also being roan (the grey gene "hid" the roan with age, apparently.) All this time I thought Smokey was grey, but the fact that he's 12 years old now (born April 2011), and looks almost exactly the same as when I got him at 3, makes me really doubt he has the grey gene at all. But he doesn't really look typical roan, either. So I was doing further research, and discovered something called "varnish roan", a type of appaloosa complex. I have a very basic and limited knowledge of horse colors/ patterns, and was wondering if this was a feasible possibility? Or does anyone else have any thoughts/ insight? Thank you!

(If he does have an appaloosa complex gene, it might explain his slightly scruffy tail too.)
05.12.2020 Smokey.jpg

I would say black sabino, or rabicano, or possibly both. I'm a little out of practice on patterns but if you google them you should be able to see which fits best. Definitely not roan, not varnish, and not gray.

I would say black sabino, or rabicano, or possibly both. I'm a little out of practice on patterns but if you google them you should be able to see which fits best. Definitely not roan, not varnish, and not gray.
Thank you for the info! I did a bunch of research on both patterns, and I really think you might be onto something with the sabino. It's apparently common in minis and shetlands, and it would explain the really interesting socks he has on his hind feet. I know I can't know for sure without a genetic test, but I'm satisfied with an educated guess. :)

04.10.2021 Smokey edit.jpg

I know “gorgeous” isn’t technically a color, but… ;).

A very eye catching fellow! What do you and Smokey enjoy doing together?
Smokey is a special pet of mine. I hang out with him every day, talking to him, grooming him, training him to do fun little things that help to bring out his curiosity. He's a kind of medicine for me. Few things can bring out the calm and happy in me more than hanging out with my horses (I also have an Arabian mare, Arabella.) I love to take him on walks as well. He's a great companion.

Latest posts

Back