My donkey friends

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If he is really bad, I would us the calming gel… D gel… to get this first initial trim done. Then after this trim you have a good 6 weeks or so to work with him and his feet. Hopefully you have a good farrier who will be very patient with the next trim. 😍

Or maybe you have to use the gel the second time too, but then after that which would be about 12 weeks, i would say that is plenty of time to get him use to his feet being handled.

But I don’t have donkeys so IDK 🤷🏻‍♀️🤣🤣🤣🤣

I'll start with a caveat that most of my donkey experience is via trimming their feet, I have never owned a donkey.

With the feet, I would say it depends on why/how he isn't good with them. Is he just refusing to pick them up, is he kicking, is he getting scared? I found that in general with donkeys that didn't want to pick up their feet it was fear/worry and once you show them one time that nothing bad is going to happen, they are then OK with it forever after (provided nothing bad actually DOES happen, of course). I had a set of mini donks that were absolutely terrified of the farrier - they were friendly and cute with me until I got out the rasp and hoof stand and then they trembled so hard their ears shook, and kicked quite determinedly when I tried to pick up their hind feet. I ended up using a soft rope to pick up their hind feet the first time. Once I picked them up and let them back down again a couple of times with the rope, I was able to pick them up normally and trim just fine. That first time it was definitely with the (head all the way down, incidentally) Eeyore sort of attitude of, welp, she's going to saw our legs off and there's nothing more we can do, best just wait quietly for our doom...

I would also say that in general, smaller equines of all descriptions have commonly had their legs wrenched into very uncomfortable positions for trimming since not all farriers are willing to turn themselves into a pretzel or sit on the ground to trim the little ones. So I would start out by literally just asking him to lift the foot and put it back down, even as little as rocking forward off the heels on the hinds, then leave him alone. Just so he knows you're not going to tear his leg off if he gives it to you. Hopefully he'll come around really quickly, and you have a kind farrier who won't cause a setback for him.

I'll start with a caveat that most of my donkey experience is via trimming their feet, I have never owned a donkey.

With the feet, I would say it depends on why/how he isn't good with them. Is he just refusing to pick them up, is he kicking, is he getting scared? I found that in general with donkeys that didn't want to pick up their feet it was fear/worry and once you show them one time that nothing bad is going to happen, they are then OK with it forever after (provided nothing bad actually DOES happen, of course). I had a set of mini donks that were absolutely terrified of the farrier - they were friendly and cute with me until I got out the rasp and hoof stand and then they trembled so hard their ears shook, and kicked quite determinedly when I tried to pick up their hind feet. I ended up using a soft rope to pick up their hind feet the first time. Once I picked them up and let them back down again a couple of times with the rope, I was able to pick them up normally and trim just fine. That first time it was definitely with the (head all the way down, incidentally) Eeyore sort of attitude of, welp, she's going to saw our legs off and there's nothing more we can do, best just wait quietly for our doom...
I wanted to see if there was a suggestion for using a rope to lift and move the legs - glad you suggested that Abby! My mule friends tell me that they will tie a back leg to a front leg on a mule that kicks. They feel the pull when they kick once, maybe twice and quit. They are incredibly SMART!! It's a different way of thinking from horses. I don't think this technique would be successful and quite possibly very dangerous with a horse! I'm not saying that's the answer here - not at all, but keeping yourself in a safe place while being able to handle is hooves is the idea. I've watched several farriers successfully use the rope lift method on donkeys, mules and horses. Even taking the rear foot forward until they stop fussing, before handling it backwards is helpful. Otherwise having a tie space where your farrier will be able to tie up a hoof to a post - something more used with draft horses. It's absolutely not everyone's cup of tea, but it's about taking care of a situation as necessary. Another option it a tip table.
I would start with @Abby P's suggestion myself though. Keep yourself safe. They are strong and quick and will use force as necessary when they feel they are in danger.

Abby and Standardsequine, Thank you very much. I will be talking with my farrier again. I'm starting by just brushing down his front legs and running my hands down them. I have heard about the rope tying practice. I'm hoping we don't have to go there. I decided to work with him a couple of weeks before I have the farrier out.
So, learning to care for donkeys, from books and internet, one said do not feed beet pulp to them. Do any of you know why? Do you feed it? Any side effects? I feed it to the minis, and fed it to Jeffrey at the same time. Just curious. Thanks

Using a lead rope to lift a foot has worked well for me with horses. Just a couple of times, and they seem to realize it's okay. I think it could be a two-man job, one to hold the horse and one to lift the foot, although I've done it by myself. Just lifting it a little, and letting down easily seems to really work. Hope you can get your guys trimmed without too much trouble.

Using a lead rope to lift a foot has worked well for me with horses. Just a couple of times, and they seem to realize it's okay. I think it could be a two-man job, one to hold the horse and one to lift the foot, although I've done it by myself. Just lifting it a little, and letting down easily seems to really work. Hope you can get your guys trimmed without too much trouble.
Thank you

So, learning to care for donkeys, from books and internet, one said do not feed beet pulp to them. Do any of you know why? Do you feed it? Any side effects? I feed it to the minis, and fed it to Jeffrey at the same time. Just curious. Thanks
That's interesting, I've never heard that before. Our donkeys have gotten beet pulp on occasion. Ours is in a compact pelleted form that must be soaked well before we feed it. We don't have shredded beet pulp up here in Alberta. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't feed it except that donkeys are far easier keepers than ponies and horses.

That's interesting, I've never heard that before. Our donkeys have gotten beet pulp on occasion. Ours is in a compact pelleted form that must be soaked well before we feed it. We don't have shredded beet pulp up here in Alberta. I can't think of a reason why you wouldn't feed it except that donkeys are far easier keepers than ponies and horses.
You know, if it is on the internet it must be true. 😂 😆
Everyone's help on this site is a true blessing for me. I have learned so much and have so much to learn. I'll be back with more questions:)

Not sure I've heard to not feed beet pulp to donkeys, only reason I can think of is that they probably don't need the extra calories. Well, soaked it should be safe, but being most are very easy keepers, they probably don't need more than a taste of it.

What halter do you use for your donkeys? I'm borrowing the one I have on Jeffrey now. I can't get a good measurement, he doesn't like his head touched. I read there are halters just for donkeys in mind? Rope halters? Would a horse halter be fine?
Thanks
Oh I forgot to mention Jeffrey greeted me for the first time with big good morning bray!! Made my morning 😂 I tried to video it but I wasn't fast enough.

Awwww, that is so cool Jeffrey is singing to you.💕

Madelaine wears an adjustable mini horse, size B nylon horse halter. It allows me to adjust the both length for her long nose and the width of the nose piece. It seems comfortable and we use it for grooming, farrier visit, and walking around. 😍

I use weanling/pony (200-300 lbs.) size halters for my two mini donks. I didn’t really have any problems finding halters for them, but proper fitting fly masks was another story. Very hard to find and not too many choices to be had. It’s funny, once I got the right masks for the girls I found that they REALLY don’t like me to put them on them. So, most times, I just put a little Swat in their ears and call it good to go! They’re protected and I didn’t have to be a mean mom😀

Awwww, that is so cool Jeffrey is singing to you.💕

Madelaine wears an adjustable mini horse, size B nylon horse halter. It allows me to adjust the both length for her long nose and the width of the nose piece. It seems comfortable and we use it for grooming, farrier visit, and walking around. 😍
I will look for that type. I like that it is adjustable as you described.

I use weanling/pony (200-300 lbs.) size halters for my two mini donks. I didn’t really have any problems finding halters for them, but proper fitting fly masks was another story. Very hard to find and not too many choices to be had. It’s funny, once I got the right masks for the girls I found that they REALLY don’t like me to put them on them. So, most times, I just put a little Swat in their ears and call it good to go! They’re protected and I didn’t have to be a mean mom😀
I haven't even thought of fly masks yet :oops: My area doesn't have many tack and feed stores. It is hard to pick from online. It is good to know from you and @MaryFlora a horse halter will work. I was grooming his head today, trying to get him to hold his head still to get a measurement

What is a donkey's tail tale sign? 😂
I read a happy, relaxed donkey is wagging their tale like a dog would when they see you. Do you find this to be true?

I was thinking that a still tail is a relaxed and happy donkey and the wagging, swishing tail is to watch out.
What are your thoughts on a wagging tail vs a still tail?

I did order a pony size halter up to 300#. I'm waiting for it to arrive. I'm hoping it fits🤞

My mini donkey wears a #200 adjustable halter from Chimacum, she might have fit a 100, but I bought during winter while she was really fuzzy. [The white mare is a 33.5" chunky mini, she is also wearing a #200 halter, it's a bit big when she is not in winter fluffies.] I think Tilly, the donkey, is about 34" tall, but I can't remember.

Attachments

• Tilly - Sept 25, 2018 - brown 200 mini halter.jpg
    Tilly - Sept 25, 2018 - brown 200 mini halter.jpg
    181.2 KB · Views: 0
  • Dolly - Sept 25, 2018 - burgandy 200 mini halter.jpg
    Dolly - Sept 25, 2018 - burgandy 200 mini halter.jpg
    134 KB · Views: 0
I decided to introduce Phillippe to the clippers yesterday. Oops, I slipped...??? 🤣 Not actually, it was on purpose. Poor little dude has been holding onto his coat despite being dewormed well. But all 3 of my donkeys have! They hold onto their coat til the middle of summer, drop it and proceed to grow a new one immediately! So I pulled out my big body clippers and went to town. I used smaller clippers with a reverse skip 7 blade on his face and just knocked off the extras. I let his floofy forehead and around his eyes. Skip-tooth blades are pretty pokey and I didn't want to risk injury. I think it turned out pretty mediocre!!

Attachments

• Phillippe Naked.jpg
    Phillippe Naked.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 0
He looks so adorable!! 🥰
I think I would like to clip Jeffrey. What is a skip tooth and a reverse tooth blade. Should I look for those blades? I would love to bathe him but I think it would ruin any trust I have 😂 He runs when I fill his water.

Latest posts

Back