My donkey friends

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He is a pretty boy with a quiet reflective look about his eye and so huggable! 😍 Let’s not forget smart, he knew he was finally going home with you, so why dilly dally?😂

Those brays are pretty special too, your minis could be forgiven for being just a little startled!

Congratulations HersheyMint! You have a beautiful addition. 💕

I'm glad that you were finally able to get Jeffrey home. I hope your experience with Jeffrey is as wonderful as mine has been with my 2 donks. He is a beautiful little donkey. Have fun getting to know each other.

How fantastic!!! I'm not quite sure why some donkey people don't bother halter training them. My first mini donkey, Pedro, I bought as a coming yearling. Hadn't been haltered. He was so wee so they just kind of directed him around. Came north from southern Alberta in a 3-horse trailer with lattice stuck to the bottom of the stall divider to keep him contained. Unloaded into a little pen, where I met him. With a pocket of treats, a halter and rope and his own decision, I had him haltered, out of the pen and leading to my truck in about 10 minutes. We then unceremoniously heave-ho'd him into the back seat of my F150 super crew and came home. That was actually the easiest way to transport him! Phillippe came home the same way. I bet Jeffy was happy to have a proper trailer rather than the backseat of a pickup... Congratulations on your success and bringing him home. On to more adventures! ❤️

He is a pretty boy with a quiet reflective look about his eye and so huggable! 😍 Let’s not forget smart, he knew he was finally going home with you, so why dilly dally?😂

Those brays are pretty special too, your minis could be forgiven for being just a little startled!

Congratulations HersheyMint! You have a beautiful addition. 💕
Thanks :) I can't wait until I see trust in those eyes. All is calm this morning. I got a few scratches in.:)

He is just adorable! Sounds like he was ready for his next big adventure with you 💕💕 So glad you were able to finally get him home with no issues. Congratulations! Can’t wait to hear more about him 💕💕
Thanks We were prepared for a long day. When he went in by himself, I think my mouth dropped😆 It assured me he was meant to be with us. Jeffrey is a family name on my side, which another aww ha sign

How fantastic!!! I'm not quite sure why some donkey people don't bother halter training them. My first mini donkey, Pedro, I bought as a coming yearling. Hadn't been haltered. He was so wee so they just kind of directed him around. Came north from southern Alberta in a 3-horse trailer with lattice stuck to the bottom of the stall divider to keep him contained. Unloaded into a little pen, where I met him. With a pocket of treats, a halter and rope and his own decision, I had him haltered, out of the pen and leading to my truck in about 10 minutes. We then unceremoniously heave-ho'd him into the back seat of my F150 super crew and came home. That was actually the easiest way to transport him! Phillippe came home the same way. I bet Jeffy was happy to have a proper trailer rather than the backseat of a pickup... Congratulations on your success and bringing him home. On to more adventures! ❤️
Thank you! Wow! What fun memories you have. You are right this will be an adventure for me :)

What is Jeffrey telling me when he lowers his head to the ground? I haltered him before I let him out of the trailer and he put his nose to the ground. Now that he is in the pen, when I have caught him he lowers his head. Even when I am petting and scratching him around his head he does this and I struggle to get him to raise it. Any ideas?

I can't pretend to understand what donkeys do or think. I know that they come from a place of self preservation first. A low head doesn't tell me much, what are the eyes doing, what's the overall expression, what about his ears, is anyone else around...? It could be that he's just unsure and acting as submissive and benign and possible, but I'm speculating. I'm sure once he understands that you can give him bum rubs, he'll be much more engaging and interactive. Donkeys love bum rubs!

I can't pretend to understand what donkeys do or think. I know that they come from a place of self preservation first. A low head doesn't tell me much, what are the eyes doing, what's the overall expression, what about his ears, is anyone else around...? It could be that he's just unsure and acting as submissive and benign and possible, but I'm speculating. I'm sure once he understands that you can give him bum rubs, he'll be much more engaging and interactive. Donkeys love bum rubs!
Thanks. That fits. We both are unsure at this time. We just need more time to get to know each other. I think I found his bum rub spot. His tail was a give away:)

What is Jeffrey telling me when he lowers his head to the ground? I haltered him before I let him out of the trailer and he put his nose to the ground. Now that he is in the pen, when I have caught him he lowers his head. Even when I am petting and scratching him around his head he does this and I struggle to get him to raise it. Any ideas?
I’ve had my donks most of their lives, over 11 years and I still can’t figure out what their behavior means at any given moment. I think putting their noses to the ground is just one of those weird donkey things. Half the time I put their halters on, they stand for me with heads up, the other half of the time their noses are touching the floor so I can’t halter them. Moody, funny, wonderful little creatures. If you figure what makes a donkey behave the way it does, let me know😜

Madelaine must be related to 1roadtoad’s donkeys. 😂 It seems, in Maddie’s case anyway, that dropping her nose is an act of protest, but a very quiet act.😁

I put her halter on, fuss with her a bit and when she lifts her head even a little, just pick up the lead and start walking. That usually works. 🤞

I’ve had my donks most of their lives, over 11 years and I still can’t figure out what their behavior means at any given moment. I think putting their noses to the ground is just one of those weird donkey things. Half the time I put their halters on, they stand for me with heads up, the other half of the time their noses are touching the floor so I can’t halter them. Moody, funny, wonderful little creatures. If you figure what makes a donkey behave the way it does, let me know😜
This is all new to me and I think he knows it :) So this the first of many little quirks I will be asking you about? 😂
He wouldn't let me pick up his front hoof. His hooves need to be trimmed. Hoping I can get him to cooperate soon.

Last edited:
Madelaine must be related to 1roadtoad’s donkeys. 😂 It seems, in Maddie’s case anyway, that dropping her nose is an act of protest, but a very quiet act.😁

I put her halter on, fuss with her a bit and when she lifts her head even a little, just pick up the lead and start walking. That usually works. 🤞
Thank you. He doesn't like his head messed with, so when I reach for the halter, he will turn away from me each time and head is at the ground. I was able to brush him today. It took a few times but then he stood still. Then off to walking. I'm so glad he leads. My first taste of how strong the little guy is:oops:He watched everything I did with the minis. :)

This thread got me thinking about donkey conformation and I came across a website, Benson Ranch Miniature Donkeys, with an interesting article on conformation.

It looks like they offer other informative articles as well.

They are incredibly strong, probably stronger than horses of similar size.
They definitely think about things before trying them, so sometimes take more time than horses to do the same task, at least the first time, while they decide if it's safe to do.

I found out Jeffrey does not like his hooves messed with.:( He needs a trim! I'm starting with trying to brush his legs. Do I hold off on a trim until I can pick up his feet, or do I use a calming paste, have the farrier struggle with him and have a bad experience that he remembers at future trims?
Thoughts?

Would your vet and farrier work together on this trim? If it is possible Jeffrey and all humans involved may have a pretty calm experience leaving Jeffrey with no particularly awful memory.

Latest posts

Back