My donkey friends

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
He looks so adorable!! 🥰
I think I would like to clip Jeffrey. What is a skip tooth and a reverse tooth blade. Should I look for those blades? I would love to bathe him but I think it would ruin any trust I have 😂 He runs when I fill his water.
The body clipping was done with a big set of old Sunbeam body clippers. They're loud but they work great! Livestock clippers are fairly cumbersome. The face clipping I did with my old Andis AGC Super 2 speed clippers that I used when I groomed dogs (and cats) professionally. That's where the skip-tooth 7 blade comes from. All clippers that have interchangable blades come with a size 10 blade. That is good for bridle paths. The "reverse" part is the technique I used, it means to go against the direction of the hair growth. In grooming dogs, it's regular practice to go with the direction of hair growth. In shaving horses (and donkeys) it's nearly impossible to do that with any success. I also have a little Wahl Bravura cordless clipper for detail work. It's quiet and light and lovely for starting out, getting the animals used to the clippers. After years of grooming, I absolutely spend the money to get the right equipment for the job in grooming. Money very well spent in my opinion.

The body clipping was done with a big set of old Sunbeam body clippers. They're loud but they work great! Livestock clippers are fairly cumbersome. The face clipping I did with my old Andis AGC Super 2 speed clippers that I used when I groomed dogs (and cats) professionally. That's where the skip-tooth 7 blade comes from. All clippers that have interchangable blades come with a size 10 blade. That is good for bridle paths. The "reverse" part is the technique I used, it means to go against the direction of the hair growth. In grooming dogs, it's regular practice to go with the direction of hair growth. In shaving horses (and donkeys) it's nearly impossible to do that with any success. I also have a little Wahl Bravura cordless clipper for detail work. It's quiet and light and lovely for starting out, getting the animals used to the clippers. After years of grooming, I absolutely spend the money to get the right equipment for the job in grooming. Money very well spent in my opinion.
Thanks for the info. I have never clipped. I do have a small Wahl cordless clipper I bought last year but never used.
I got a good measurement on Jeffrey's height. He 41 inches. To big to be called a mini. What size is he called?

Thanks for the info. I have never clipped. I do have a small Wahl cordless clipper I bought last year but never used.
I got a good measurement on Jeffrey's height. He 41 inches. To big to be called a mini. What size is he called?
Pony, over 38" measured to the last hair of the mane (as minis are measured) is considered pony.

He's a standard donkey ❤️ Also called "perfect". And I would suggest you don't even bother putting those little pet trimmers on him. Their super coarse coat will dull the blades and burn out the machine in 0.02 seconds. I know, yet another expense, but the investment in good clippers is absolutely worth it, in my opinion. Or else get some sedative gel and hire someone to come whack off his coat for you.

He's a standard donkey ❤️ Also called "perfect". And I would suggest you don't even bother putting those little pet trimmers on him. Their super coarse coat will dull the blades and burn out the machine in 0.02 seconds. I know, yet another expense, but the investment in good clippers is absolutely worth it, in my opinion. Or else get some sedative gel and hire someone to come whack off his coat for you.
Well, that is good to know about the clippers.👍 Thank you
He was quite a bit smaller then the standard donkeys he was in with.
What size range is considered mini donkey and standard? I was guessing he was medium😂 sm, med, lg like most sizing😆

My mini donkey wears a #200 adjustable halter from Chimacum, she might have fit a 100, but I bought during winter while she was really fuzzy. [The white mare is a 33.5" chunky mini, she is also wearing a #200 halter, it's a bit big when she is not in winter fluffies.] I think Tilly, the donkey, is about 34" tall, but I can't remember.
I love mine. Get mine from S & B Tack. With a buckle over the nose to help with grooming and driving.

Attachments

• 20210613_124522.jpg
    20210613_124522.jpg
    4.2 MB · Views: 0
He was quite a bit smaller then the standard donkeys he was in with.
What size range is considered mini donkey and standard? I was guessing he was medium😂 sm, med, lg like most sizing😆
From the American Donkey and Mule Society: The types of donkeys are labeled by their sizes; 36" and under, Miniature Mediterranean, 36.01-48", Standard, 48.01" to 54" (jennets) or 56"; (jacks), Large Standard, and 54/56" and over, Mammoth Stock.
As its written it's a little hard to read, wonder if some spacing and more punctuation would help...
The types of donkeys are labeled by their sizes;
36" and under, Miniature Mediterranean,
36.01-48", Standard,
48.01" to 54" (jennets) or 56"; (jacks), Large Standard,
and 54/56" and over, Mammoth Stock.

So I thought I had a mini donkey. I have so much to learn. If he was advertised as a standard donkey, I wouldn't have looked at him. It was meant for me to bring him to a better home. 🙂
And, donkeys are measured to top of withers regardless of what division they are in.

Latest posts

Back