Carts

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EquineLover

Reaction score
Which carts do you use in certain driving classes?What are the average prices for them?Are there places that sell used carts?

Which carts do you use in certain driving classes?
For breed shows, we use show carts with patent or vinyl baskets. We have carts from Jerald, Graber, and Houghton. If you want to show in the Roadster classes, you need to have a cart with a removable basket, stirrups, and a closed arch over the wheel (AMHR).

For Open shows and ADS shows, you can use Meadowbrooks, Easy Entry carts, Road carts, or the show carts. For the Marathon part of Combined driving many of us have Marathon carts--Bennington, Bellcrown, Pacific.

What are the average prices for them?
a fully equipped Jerald show cart can run $1700-$2200, my Houghton last year at Nationas was $1300, and Grabers are $800-$1000. Easy Enrty carts start at about $400, Meadowbrooks $800-$1200, and competition marathon carts START at $2000. Boinky here on LB has started making and selling show carts--they look nice and are very reasonalble.

Are there places that sell used carts?
Check out EBay and the Little Beginnings Sale Board! I picked up a Jerald Viceroy on Ebay this winter for $500!! I found my Graber on the LB board a few years ago for $800 and it included the cover, and I got my Bellcrown off the Saleboard WITH a Carriage House Marathon harness for under $2000.

I got my Bellcrown off the Saleboard WITH a Carriage House Marathon harness for under $2000.
Now Dr. Pam, that just isn't fair! (But I'm glad you found it!)

Perhaps I need to offer a finder's fee so that these great buys don't slip past me...

Which carts do you use in certain driving classes?

Are there places that sell used carts?
Check out EBay and the Little Beginnings Sale Board! I picked up a Jerald Viceroy on Ebay this winter for $500!! I found my Graber on the LB board a few years ago for $800 and it included the cover, and I got my Bellcrown off the Saleboard WITH a Carriage House Marathon harness for under $2000.
I second that one!! Have also never found any nice carts for sale on Ebay and I look once in awhile. You are one lucky person!!
default_yes.gif
:

Does anyone have pictures of their carts?Can you get an easy entry cart with a basket?

What are the differences between country and pleasure driving?What cart do you use in those classes,and roadster?What classes can you use an easy entry in?

Edited to add: Does anyone know of the website for Taylors Pony Farm?

Last edited by a moderator:
An easy entry cart - AKA "EE" has a permanent basket that is not removable. It's open on the sides so you can slide your legs in from either side without stepping over a bar or shaft. They are acceptable for showing AMHA or AMHR, but usually aren't except in the Country Pleasure classes. I take the philosphy that these aren't quite "showy" enough, sort of like wearing tennis shoes to a wedding. Most people use Show Carts. EE have a bench type seat, comfortable for two, with a padded back rest.

Show carts,AKA SC Houghton, Jerald, etc, have removable vinyl basket. The basket have wooden shafts across the bottom to put your feet in, but the whole outside is vinyl. In addition the shafts on the SC go all the way to the back of the cart, and you have to step over the shaft to get in the cart. SC typically only seat one, with a nice velvet cushion.

The horses gait, action, and temperment decide what class it goes in. A nice, quiet, low - forward moving horse without a lot of knee action would be a CP horse, usually with a bit lower head set. An Open Pleasure horse will have more extreme action, and more attitude in their drive, plus a higher head set with a good collection.

Sure, an EE can be used for Country or Open classes, it's more a matter of the look. Several people use EE carts at our local AMHR shows, but I don't remember seeing any at nationals.

The nice thing about the EE's are they are being built nicer and are easy to dress up. My first (2nd and 3rd) EE had a metal mesh floor. I had hubby grind that off and put boards across. Now the EE's come with the wooden slats. Then I used a staple gun and covered the back and bench with a pretty stretchy velvet. A few bolts and they come right off.

I shouldn't brag, but I just bought a Graber show cart, convertable to Roadster, with cover, for $500. It was on the saleboard, and I was lucky enough to be the first in line. So they are out there if you are lucky enough to find them.

We sell ours for $650 and that's shipping included anywhere in the USA. www.boinky.net under the "Show carts" link. Unfortunately i think we are back ordered untill May (though may catch up sooner). We do have the black vinyl boot covers to go on them (which isn't shown in the photo's). Unfortunatly our photo's don't really show as nice as they really are.

14_naturalwood.JPG

My nationals photo

14_nationals2.jpg

Latest posts

Back