What Wheels and springs?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1roadtoad

MHT Supporter
MHT Supporter
Reaction score
I'm in the process of purchasing the first of 2 driving carts for my boys (and me!). I probably will be ordering a custom Amish made Wood easy entry cart. The big question is:
What kind of wheels and springs should I get?? At this point, I'm thinking either motorcycle or wood.
Advertise with us
. I will be driving around my small property (5 acres of mostly grass), on the roads (asphalt) in my neighborhood and out into to the woods. I will have to blaze a trail through the woods, so I will be rolling over rocks, sticks and probably a few small downed trees. I will not be driving in any sand and I have no plans on showing. The driving we will be doing is purely for pleasure. I'm assuming that the ride will feel totally different depending on the wheels I choose. I'm also confused about what kind of suspension I should to get. I am a small person, 4'11" and weigh 105 lbs. So far, no back trouble. I love the look of wood wheels, but I don't know if they're practical or not. Also, should I be considering the weight of the wheels when deciding what to get? Any input about wheel and suspension choices would be appreciated. As I get closer to making driving one of my boys a reality, I recognize that I'm actually scared to death!! I admire all you folks that actually do it. Was anyone else scared?? Thnx

On that terrain I wouldn't want wooden wheels. It's a rough ride. Don't know about motorcycle tires, though. I have the standard tires. With Slime in them I have very little trouble on my rough, rural terrain. My sister got wooden wheels and it's a bumpy ride on our gravel roads. But she likes not having to worry about keeping them aired up.

What do your driving carts look like? I now have 3 carts for my littles. My favorite for off-roading is my K-bike. It's super stable. The wheels on it are actually for large rubbermade wheelbarrows. They're quite large and provide a lot of shock absorption. Our other vehicles are made by BP Voiture Carriages in Quebec (so all my vehicles are Canadian) and I'm really pleased with them as well. They actually have hydraulic suspension and aluminum spoke pneumatic tires.

I love the look of wooden wheels, but I will never have them. Do you have an enclosed place to store your cart? If I want anything made of wood to stay nice I would have to have a real barn or garage to store it, and covers. You might not where you live, but something to consider. I don't know about other types of suspension, but C springs are nicer then the little coiled kind.

What do your driving carts look like? I now have 3 carts for my littles. My favorite for off-roading is my K-bike. It's super stable. The wheels on it are actually for large rubbermade wheelbarrows. They're quite large and provide a lot of shock absorption. Our other vehicles are made by BP Voiture Carriages in Quebec (so all my vehicles are Canadian) and I'm really pleased with them as well. They actually have hydraulic suspension and aluminum spoke pneumatic tires.
I have thought about a K-Bike, but it looks like it would be hard to "bail" out of and I'd love to have a seat big enough for 2 people. I don't know if I'll ever feel confident driving by myself. Fact is, I am really quite frightened of the idea of driving, especially by myself. Hydraulic suspension sounds like it would be super comfortable when on rough terrain.
Thanks for your input.

I love the look of wooden wheels, but I will never have them. Do you have an enclosed place to store your cart? If I want anything made of wood to stay nice I would have to have a real barn or garage to store it, and covers. You might not where you live, but something to consider. I don't know about other types of suspension, but C springs are nicer then the little coiled kind.
Thanks for letting me know about C springs. Yes, I have 2 barns. One for my little ones and one for my tractor, log splitter, etc. I have room for a cart (or 2). Would the concern of the weather be the only draw back of wood wheels?

It’s ok to be scared when taking a first step and my advice, when the time comes, is to not seat yourself in the cart until you are comfortable. Drive your pony pulling the cart by walking behind the cart and holding onto the lines. Have a halter on your pony, under the bridle, and snap on a leadline. Then have an adult lead your pony while you are seated and holding the reins. If it takes you six months or 6 years to feel comfortable, just be safe and as relaxed as possible. Ground drive over, around, through and under every conceivable obstacle in your area.

Don’t put pressure on yourself. I enjoyed driving but haven’t driven now in about three years for a variety of reasons and enjoy walking and ground driving in the late Spring and then in Summer. Do the activities that put a smile on your face. 😁

It’s ok to be scared when taking a first step and my advice, when the time comes, is to not seat yourself in the cart until you are comfortable. Drive your pony pulling the cart by walking behind the cart and holding onto the lines. Have a halter on your pony, under the bridle, and snap on a leadline. Then have an adult lead your pony while you are seated and holding the reins. If it takes you six months or 6 years to feel comfortable, just be safe and as relaxed as possible. Ground drive over, around, through and under every conceivable obstacle in your area.

Don’t put pressure on yourself. I enjoyed driving but haven’t driven now in about three years for a variety of reasons and enjoy walking and ground driving in the late Spring and then in Summer. Do the activities that put a smile on your face. 😁
Excellent advice. I haven't even thought about how I would start driving once I purchase a cart. I am currently ground driving my boys and taking driving lessons (using another horse) at a local training facility. Thanks again. I am totally going to follow your advice.

Yes, I think the weather would be the biggest concern with wooden wheels. I know there are some here that have wooden wheels, maybe one will offer advice. I am actually more scared of driving than riding. I make my husband walk behind holding on to the cart the first time I hook up. He's my emergency brakes.

The idea with the K-bike is that you stay in it... Ideally you don't want to vacate the vehicle if things go awry, you're best to stay with it. That's also why it's so stable. Perhaps starting out in a well-enclosed area will be helpful. Keeping your sessions short and positive and having help along too. I see people starting driving ponies as @MaryFlora describes, indeed I started my own the same way, but it's not what's recommended.

Latest posts

Back