blue roan?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you bath and clip her, she will show you what she is, blueish body, black mask, really black legs might have a diamond shape at the knee, may or may not have a coon tail, which is silver strips at the base. I tried to load some of mine from photobucket but stupid dial up is having a hissy fit today.

Pretty girl - looks blue roan to me.
default_yes.gif

No I say (for what it's worth lol) definitely blue roan, the last pic shows perfectly how her roaning finishes at her knees, if she were a black sabino the head and legs wouldn't be so defined.

She is gorgeous Lori

Thank you..I was hoping she was blue roan. her and stormy ( homozygeous black) could have some very pretty babies. Grays are nice for folks that like them but it was not what I was wanting..and was banking on her being a blue roan..so I am happy today. I do need to bath her..she is messy and nasty from the storms lastnight. if she were gray..i would think at her age she would show more gray also,.

I was a little thrown off as she has that silve rin mane..quite a bit..a lttle in tail. and has some on face. So far from my experienced horsie friends..unanimous for not gray

No, "take heart". She isn't a grey!

And it's my pleasure to help!

Last edited:
Sure looks blue roan to me. I can't tell for certain from the pics posted (and tired eyes), but if her head is all black with no roaning and there is no roaning on her lower legs, then yes true blue roan. [Any roaning on face and lower legs, is usually caused by sabino.]

]sophiebbx.JPGXXXColor.JPGbutt.JPGneckmaneear.JPGsophier.JPG couple better pics from my camera not phone

and this one is onyxI know is a blue roanonyxcute.JPGonyxroanqhbutt.JPG

shaved her down...no doubt anymore not a great shave down..but think we get the idea:>)

sophieshaved.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
See how the diamond shape is at the knee? So pretty! Blue roan mares produce great color in their foals. My older mare has produced when breed to my dilute black stallion, a palomino, and a blue roan filly, when bred to a grey, a jet black with white blaze. Your mare is beautful

bred to my homozygous stud..we have 50 /50 of black or blue roan. Win win either way now to determine if she is bred...i hope not

Onyx looks fabulous - no doubt as to her colour!!

Keeping my fingers crossed that your new lady is not bred, but by this time in the year, if she has been running with a stud, I feel you might be unlucky? However think about it this way - if she produces a filly, then you will have another unrelated little lady for your boy in the future.
default_yes.gif

I have now been told that clipping is the worst way to guess at color. Some folks say she has too much white on her face to be a blue roan. Is there anyway to get pictures of her parents?

also if i do color testing..what do I test for? She is parent qualified...does that assure me that her parents are really her parents?

That is true to a certain extent and I know we are only looking at pics but I am ready to bet money that she is blue roan. The white in the center is just a minimal star and I cant see any other white.

pretty girl! When i get some money i think after i have her pregnancy checked and transfer all my horses to me in the different registries, and pay the member ship dues.....ha ha..i may color test.

I looked into roan color testing as one of my new foals is now starting to look like a black roan. It's no more expensive than the other tests but you have to supply a four generation pedigree with colors of all the horses. She looks blue roan to me. One thing you'll find is everyone has their own opinion about things. Not sure how you'd tell the color of a blue roan without clipping. Mine was black with her heavy winter coat and you couldn't see the roaning under all that hair for anything. Now she is picture perfect blue roan. Your mare still looks blue roan to me.

where might I find pictures of her parents? a regular internet search shows me nothing for field of mini dreams epic and frostys sweet fancie gr parents are bond picador and fowlers lil flame sires side and komokos frosty mist and mdms sweet n low dams side. I am going to find out how a blue roan or grey came out of these.:>) with some help? Anyone hear of these. Can find bond picador....

If you have a registraton number for her that might help - I know the registeries dont always get the colours correct, but we might get a lead as to the possible colours of her parents/grand parents.

Latest posts

Back