blue roan?

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crisco41

Reaction score
I think Onyx is a blue roan. Born black..but i noticed some white hairs in her tail yesterday so did a body clip. She definetley has minimal white (almost silver) hairs scattered about on her body. I was hoping for a blue roan..mom is sorrel roan, dad is homozygous black, but was certain she was a black and got quite accustomed to her being a rich black like her daddy. Does the white mean roan?

Could be. I just looked at the color calculator chart on Equine Genetics and there is a good possibility of a blue roan. I know my true blue roan looks solid black with minimal white flecks when she has her winter coat. Just to show you how different blue roans can look when they are carrying a heavy coat, here's Sweetie this winter and then Sweetie shed out. So I'm thinking you probably have a blue roan. One of my favorite coat colors!

2013feb24thgirls 015-001.JPG 2013june1stfarm 003.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
default_new_multi.gif
I have one of those gorgeous Blues to show off too. They are amazing cos you get a new horse every time you look in the field.
default_new_rofl.gif
I really hope Onyx is a blue roan
default_thumbup.gif

IMG_0616.JPGIMG_0821.JPGIMG_0972.JPGIMG_1194.JPG

It's really amazing how they are so dark when they have all that hair and all of them are gorgeous!!!

OK so do red heads do it backwards or is mine just confused? My red roan (Charm) is white all winter and red dun all summer???? My friend has a blue roan mustang... told her I could never own him... his mane hangs over his freeze brand and given all his changes I would never know which horse in the field was mine!

OK so do red heads do it backwards or is mine just confused? My red roan (Charm) is white all winter and red dun all summer???? My friend has a blue roan mustang... told her I could never own him... his mane hangs over his freeze brand and given all his changes I would never know which horse in the field was mine!
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

I was thinking the same thing! The QH and Paints I grew up with in the 60s, 70s & 80s all got lighter during the winter, got darker as they shed out and then turned lite again over the summer (tho not as lite as during the winter)... It really thru me when a neighbor kept asking me what color his guy was. I'd seen him as a heavy winter coated black, then suddenly he was "different"!! After his initial spring shed he darkened up a bit more, but for a couple of weeks, he's almost white in the body with a dark mane, tail and points!

Love roans - don't have a "complete" one yet. My tobianos seem to have some incomplete roaning. It's interesting, but not the same as a true roan. I want a blue roan someday!! Or a bay roan or a red roan. Prefer the blues...

I have 2 sorrel roan geldings and they are dark in winter, very light while in the process of shedding and half way in between when they are in summer coat. I had a red dun roan mare who was the same - unless I clipped her then she was very light almost white everywhere until her coat darkened a bit.

I just picked up a mare Registered as grey but sold as blue roan. Now I am wondering what she is. Guess she is whitish in winter and is black based with silver on body now. She dees have some silver in mane and tail,,but minimal and she does have more black on legs and blacker face althou I can see some scant amts of silver or grey..Neither parent is reg grey..both are chestnut based. I have NO idea what I have

I posted a question about grey over on the main forum and got lots of great answers. Your mare sounds lovely.

I just picked up a mare Registered as grey but sold as blue roan. Now I am wondering what she is. Guess she is whitish in winter and is black based with silver on body now. She dees have some silver in mane and tail,,but minimal and she does have more black on legs and blacker face althou I can see some scant amts of silver or grey..Neither parent is reg grey..both are chestnut based. I have NO idea what I have
Share a picture or two. the mare sure sounds blue roan. Either or both parents could be silver bay, which are often mistaken for sorrel.

If she has black leg and head I would guess blue roan, pics are a must of course
default_smile.png

Black legs and face -- BLUE ROAN! But the ladies are right -- pictures are a MUST!

went out and got some pics but it is raining and so i need to get some that are more accurate,got anothe rlook up if anyone (Diane? )
default_worshippy.gif
would be so kind.

I am kind of hard of hearing and the guy was hard fo rme to hear..but 261/2 " bay stallion named i think Jets richard the Lion heart born 7/22/2007i have part of his reg # but after asking him to repeat self several times I was too embarrassed to ask again. If sophie is indeed bred he will file a late stallion report for me. How sweet!

Back