Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
default_please.gif

Hello everybody! Sorry I didn't respond sooner, I just don't have anything to report. Her milk is testing at 7.8 or so, her calcium in around a 1000. It's been weeks since she lost her mucous plug, and at that time she went off her fee and seemed depressed. Now she seems fine with a voracious appetite. No funny discharge or fever but I haven't been able to feel the baby move. In the mean time, does anyone have any suggestions, and should I feel concernced?

Here are some pics of little Lacey, all shaved down and looking gorgeous!

lacey2.jpg

lacey3.jpg

lacey4.jpg

lacey8.jpg

Oh she is sooooooooooooooo pretty! Now we need some pics of Trixie.
default_yes.gif

Hello everyone! So sorry for not being in touch better. Things have been crazy. We had a wildfire nearby and had a few refugees. Then we found out that our Gypsy Vanner stallion is likely a carrier of Polysaccharide Storage Myopethy and is being tested. If he is positive, he needs a special diet and to be immediately gelded. My boss loses her entire investment!
default_closedeyes.gif
He is such a nice boy, I hate to see him go through this but we will try to manage his symptoms. At least he will be comfortable and make a lovely pet.

Trixie is coming along albeit very slowly. Her milk is testing at 7.5 now...and I can't find my camera!!! Aaaaaaaaa!!!! I promise that as soon as my camera turns up I will take pics of her, hopefully it will be before she foals...or at least before her foal is weaned
default_new_rofl.gif

So sorry to hear about the stallion. But thank you for being a good breeder and ending that problem. Are there any potential foals of his upcoming that they can test for the problem. I don't know much about it, but I was just wondering if testing can be done in-utero. How 'bout a picture of the handsome boy? Vanner are such gorgeous horses....

And we HOPE you can find that camera BEFORE the foal is here! LOL

We have two mares bred to him, and we are just waiting to see if the stallion is a carrier. Yes, his foals could have it. They are both too far along to terminate, which is such an awful choice to have to make. If the stallion is a carrier the foals could have it. If that's the case, they may end up being permanent fixtures here as well unless we can find a home for them that will provide them with the proper care and of COURSE, they will be sterilized as well. We have been devastated by this, but we have to be responsible as breeders.

Here isaragonruns.jpgaragonface2.jpgaragonpose3.jpg Aragon:

Oh my goodness, he is gorgeous!!! Hoping he is not a carrier.

What a beautiful boy! Really hoping that the two expected foals will be 'clear'. So sorry that this has happened, will be keeping my fingers crossed for you.

Trixie gave birth last night to a huge filly. The birth was difficult, and there was hip lock. I could feel joints popping as I gently pulled. Even without me pulling and just supporting the foal, there were popping sounds. When she started to try to stand she was very weak. All her legs seem to have a lot of laxity to them. Her hind legs are especially bad. Her right hind leg is not working properly and she is dragging it some. Sometimes the leg gets crossed over the back of the other and it just stays that way. And her stifle joint on that side has bony enlargement as well as soft tissue swelling. There is a lot of play from side to side in the joint.

Have any of you dealt with this? It seems part of the problem is her size compared to her 30 inch mother. She has at least 8.5 inch cannons but don't have a proper measurement. I've seen this some in larger breeds but never this severe. Thanks for any input you have and I will post pics soon!

Do you have pictures of the filly -- that would help.

A hip lock is a difficult birth on the baby (as well as momma), but it sounds like you acted quickly and brought that little one safely to the ground! KUDOS for your quick thinking!!

With a difficult birth like that, and the swelling, I would immediately contact your vet and get her started on some prophylactic antibiotics. Joint ill in a newborn can be very dangerous, and I'm sure the swelling is from the gentle pulling, etc, But, there is no use taking a chance with a newborn.

I truly believe, that if you can get her up nursing, and allow her some freedom of movement, her little legs should gain strength and begin to tone up and straighten up. She may have displaced her little hip -- or it's sore from the pressure of momma pushing that hip bone into momma's hip bone.

The key is to make sure she's nursing every hour -- don't let her decide to sleep instead of eat. This first day or two is important to get her colostrum level up, and give her the strength to get moving around on those legs. The crossing of the legs is not that worrisome to me, as all newborns do some very strange things as they "get their legs under themselves" -- so I think with a bit of time (a couple of weeks at least) you will see a magical change in her.

I had a 28" mare who produced a filly who was 21" at birth. The greatest problem was milking that momma and feeding baby for 4 days, until I could teach that little one to kneel to find the milk bar. But, with time she figured it out, and all was well. Her teeny momma had an udder like a dairy cow, and was hanging so low, I could barely teach the little one to almost "go to ground" to find the nipples.

Pictures please, and let's give this little one a couple of weeks to exercise and strengthen her muscles, joints and legs before you get to worrying too much.

Oh dear, I hope Trixie is ok? Sounds as though you made a great save, thank goodness you were there for the birth - well done you!!

As Diane says, a little help from your vet for the new filly would be a good idea just as a precaution, and yes, do make sure that she gets the colostrum she needs even if you have to keep syringing small amounts into her every hour.

Again like Diane, I wouldn't be too concerned about her legs and joints at this stage - she has survived an enormous trauma. Just give her time and the outside space to move about and gain strength naturally - you will be amazed at the difference a couple of weeks can make.

Good luck - and would love to see some pics when you have time.
default_yes.gif

Hello all. Update on the new filly:

We have started her on Baytril(sp?) and probiotics. She is moving around a little better and her stifle has less swelling. She still doesn't have very good use of her legs but she is trying to use them. I have included a few pics for you to see.

We're just keeping our fingers crossed but she is so sweet and has a very strong will to live!

DSCN0362.JPGDSCN0363.JPGDSCN0355.JPG

Bless her....poor little thing..I hope she will continue to improve..little by little. Glad to read Dixie is doing good. Prayers heading your way.

Love the pictures of your baby girl, and they REALLY help.

In my opinion, she appears to be "windswept" -- and that's a VERY curable condition. The key to these babies who were "tight" inside momma, and unable to move about, is to make sure baby nurses. They need to make sure they are getting all the good nutrition from momma, and are making the effort to nurse.

The rest comes as they begin to use their legs more and more. She is looking good to me, even though the legs seem "funky". Her strength comes from momma's milk -- that's the critical thing. With momma's good milk and her becoming stronger and stronger, and using her legs, I truly believe that you will begin to see more and more postive changes and the legs coming up and straightening.

I've had a foal born here whose knees bent completely backwards in the front and somewhat in the back -- looked like his legs were turned around. He could barely support himself, but I made sure he nursed regularly and often, and allowed him movement in the outside small paddock with only his momma. She hardly left his side, but with him following her around -- even in short distances -- he quickly gained strength and the legs began to straighten and the rump started lifting into place.

Praying for her continued improvement -- and I truly believe that she will come around and be a beautiful, and perfect little filly.

I would try to give them some time outside the stall. Even if she has some difficulties, it will give her some "straight lines" to walk that are important to her gaining strength.

Keep us posted. We love her alot!!!

Thanks for the pictures - she's cute and as you say a fighter! Her front legs dont look too bad to me, and I think most of the problem with the back ones is due to the trauma of her birth - as she gains in strength and given time I'm sure they will improve. Am posting a few pics of a filly we had several years ago. Her back legs were 'crouched' but not as bad as your filly - ours had a normal birth - but thought the front legs might interest you? Pics are of one or two days after birth, then approx 7 days, a couple of months, yearling and lastly 2 year old. Hope these help you.
default_yes.gif

IMG_2187.JPGIMG_2188.JPG

IMG_2204.JPGIMG_2308.JPG

IMG_3669.JPGhazel.JPG

IMG_4482.JPG

Hello all, I had a question regarding our little filly. Her right stifle is still puffy and she doesn't move well. She is just now able to pick up each leg and take steps with her back legs but she is still very weak in her back end. Now her right front knee is wobbling and swollen. You can see it moving in a direction that the knee is not supposed to move. I was going to put on a soft splint but am unsure about it. I'm also worried that maybe she has some kind of condition or disease. Any thoughts? I just want this little girl to be healthy!

Thank you all!!!

This is just my opinion, but I don't like what I'm hearing. Swollen joints can be indicative of "joint ill" which can be dangerous to her survival. She must be on medications in order to survive -- if this is what it is. I would have a vet examine her immediately and begin some type of treatment. I don't mean to scare you, but I'm a little scared for her right now.

Is she running a temperature? Is she drinking well? PLEASE get her examined....I'm praying for her
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif
default_pray.gif

Latest posts

Back