A horse coat of a different color. The rarest of rare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wow, what a unique filly you have, she's gorgeous.

Wonderful color!

So if brindle is just a reorganization of the patterns found in a coat associated with countershading (and maybe some other factor) you can imagine that the pattern and extent of the coloring could vary between individuals that are all similar for color genetics. This might be analagous to the varying extent of dappling on horses of similar genetic makeup (as seen on silver blacks). If so, there could be sigficant varyation in the expression of brindle.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just had a "brain fart".........Thinking about "counter shading" so often seen on Bay horses. What if that coloring was crossed with JUST THE RIGHT color gene at some point? All of a sudden the "counter shading" (blurry dorsal) would "BLEED" into a BRINDLE.
I'm not into the science of color genetics but more into the "creative" view which is why I'm putting that way.
MiniV...I'm with you 100% on this one....maybe not Riverdances filly...she's wayyy - brindle - perhaps chimera. But horses like Ozy (who YOU bred lol) ....he has a strong counter shading dorsal AND has the sooty/smutty gene (not tested but obviously has it) that combination has produced some form of brindle in him with strong neck patches and stripes and "trickles" but not like the ones the other two mares posted have.

It's like dun. I've seen duns combined with the sooty/smutty gene throwing WILDLY marked duns vs. even well marked duns without that smutty gene. Duns with stripes up the yahoooo when that smutty is combined in the mix.

Even Dr. Sponenberg - one of the horse worlds leading color genetic experts couldn't explain Ozy's markings. So what you said - to me - is what I feel may be an answer especially as most experts theorize that sooty/smutty is involved in brindle.
No, Riverdance's Filly is something different. I was sort of thinking out loud about your fellow's coloring. Thanks, Dana, for picking up on my musings.
default_unsure.png

Many thanks to Miniwhinny for kindly posting the photo of my brindle mare, Lullaby, you are super. My computer had a glitch of some sort that day and I was having no luck there.

I am so excited over Riverdance's filly and can hardly wait to hear more news. If the genetics lab asks for dna samples I would love to cooperate with my mare and hopefully know whether she is chimera or not. A few years back Sponenberg comfirmed her as brindle, but did not give me much more info. I had great conversations with Naviaux with AMHA genetics committee, you might like to contact her.

I have a full brother that is black roan as well, but no brindling.

My mare is registered just as black roan which is her base color.

Madmax - you're so welcome..you mare is just stunning too.

Sure wish we lived closer...if your mare hasn't reproduced the brindle in a foal I'd just love to know what she's produced if she were bred to another possible brindle
default_wink.png

Madmax - you're so welcome..you mare is just stunning too.
Sure wish we lived closer...if your mare hasn't reproduced the brindle in a foal I'd just love to know what she's produced if she were bred to another possible brindle
default_wink.png
I have never bred her sorry to say, I stopped breeding 7 years ago as the market was giving me signals of the future(!) She is a true maiden, never even been covered. Barbara Naviaux thought I should breed her back to her sire as he is of such good quality it could be worth the risk.

Oregon vs Florida is a longggg way to visit your guy, maybe you could relocate?
default_laugh.png
The longest distances I have traveled with horses was to Oklahoma and Ohio to Nationals driving straight through made it in one piece, but I was much younger! Ha.

I think so far you have the only male brindle, I tried to contact that Australian owner with no luck, maybe that is old information.

I have never bred her sorry to say
Oh..sorry I missed that. Sure would be awesome to see if your mare, Riverdances mare or my stud would reproduce themselves. Seems like all three of them came from "normal" colored horses.

WOW, Way COOL!!!! Maybe it runs in the King Supreme bloodline, I have a son of Komokos Little King Supreme and he has produced 2 foals with the marbling on thier backs. Not the same but still an unusual pattern. There is a web site that talks about the brindle horse http://www.brindlehorses.com/brindlehos/index.htm

Congrats!! she looks like a keeper.

I just got an e-mail from John Eberth. Seems like AMHA sent my pictures to him (I had already contacted him before and he agrees that my filly is a brindle. Now we just have to find out if she is a chimera)

John feels that AMHA is going to have to register her as a brindle Miniature. If they do, she will be the first one.
default_biggrin.png

I am still waiting to hear from Cecilia Penedo of the University of California Davis. She is out of town this week, so I have to wait patiently
default_no.gif
From what I have been reading, the first step is to find out if she is a chimera. (a chimera for those of you who do not know, is a blending of two embryos during gestation. Blending two very different DNA's , as the two embryos would not be identical twins but fraternal twins.) That will take a lot of DNA work as, if she is, she will not have DNA matching her parents. So we may have to do blood tests. Then I have to see what her colors are, so color testing.

If she is a brindle and not a chimera, then she can go on to produce other brindles. If she is a chimera, she is the rarest of the rare as there a VERY FEW knows chimers horses in the world with any breed.

The brindle registry has contacted me and they agree that she is a brindle and I will be registering her with that registry too.

I would have to say it is coming from the Komoko Little King Supreme line as this filly is a double up on it. Dam is a daugher, sire is a grandson.

I don't know why, but she reminds me of one of those wildly marked marbles I used to collect when I was a kid.

She's just stunning! I'd name her something like "Riverdances Marble wind". Congrats on such a unique treasure!
default_wub.png

Miniwhinny-have you ever clipped your Ozzy? I wonder what he would look like underneath!
I clipped him once as a foal (he's 5 now) and all I got was dark gray on gray (you know how bays clip out)

I just 5 minutes ago took this photo of Ozy's shoulders just to show how the brindle goes down his shoulders (if you can see it) It's so hard to photograph when the base color is almost as dark as the stripe color. But if you look carefully you can see the darker dripping going down on the one part of his body thats a lighter color !

ozytoday.jpg

Anyhow I'll just post this last pic because I dont want to hijack this thread. This isn't about Ozy it's about Riverdances filly...sure am interested in seeing what Davis has to say though.

default_biggrin.png
I am really having a difficult time seeing a possible brindle pattern on your horse in your photos. Since it seems the brindling shows up more pronounced in a shave/clipped horse, could you post some full-body clipped pics of your boy so we all can hopefully see what you are talking about. I can only see a dorsal strip and a couple of arrow stripes on his shoulder. The brindle pattern seems to be so unique!!

This is all quite interesting.

Thanks.

I am getting really excited to see your little filly! You sure have had a fantastic foal crop this year! I just love them!
default_wub.png
:wub

Barb

How very exciting! Let us know what AMHA is going to do about your 'horse of another color'!!

How wonderful!!! Such a beautiful coat pattern!

I can't get some of the photos to open, but here is a picture of a brindle mini. I have no idea who it belongs to, but I thought it was so unique that I saved it. It was entered in the online miniature horse show back in 2003. Does anyone know this horse?

Class5c_7x.jpg

Hi, xxs,

That is my mare, the same one, Lullaby, posted before kindly for me by miniwhinny, just the other side of her, it was taken at a local show!

Wow, I had forgotten about that online horse show, and posting her photo back then! You have a good memory.
default_smile.png
I am hoping that this thread will pull out some more brindles.

Well, I am very glad to meet you! I just admired the coloring and markings so much, and kept the picture! I hope you don't mind! She is lovely.

WOW, how very cool. I think you hit the jackpot with that one, will indeed be interesting to see what UC Davis finds.

Jan

Let us all know what you find out! She sure is interesting!! Congrats!

Hey Sue, i have another suggestion for a name...Riverdances Rare Marble
default_firstprize.gif
Have you picked a name yet?

Barb

Sue, with all my research this past week, your filly appears to be a true brindle. I am looking forward to hearing what the tests say.

Latest posts

Back