A horse coat of a different color. The rarest of rare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Now that is WAY COOOOOOOOL!!!!
default_biggrin.png
I just love color genetics....just when we think we have a "handle" on all the possible colors, something like this crops up! CONGRATULATIONS on a beautiful little girl!
default_wub.png

She is stunning!

I'm absolutely fascinated with brindle coloring and the entire concept of a chimera. Depending on the source of her brindle coloring, Windchaser's Chimera has a magical, mystical ring to it.

(She also reminds me of some of the beautiful, old linoleum in classic homes, but I don't think you'd want to be calling her that!)

Thanks to Minnywhinny and Brass Rings Minis for sharing your "stripey" horses!

Miniwhinny -- Dana -- Your PM box is FULL!!!!

Interesting and beautiful filly! I have a silver bay roan mare that is double bred Little Kings Supreme hmmm.. Keep us updated, especially with new photos!
default_wub.png

Well this is a hot topic pages are being added faster than i can read them. Congratulations on your filly she is a special one. Riverdance Brindle Wind sound like a good name to me.

"CONGRATULATIONS!" Riverdance!!

I just now saw this thread - Your filly is absolutely gorgeous
default_wub.png
not only her unique coloring but everything about her!! I can just imagine how excited you are - it will be fun watching this precious little filly grow up - she certainly is a "horse of a different color!"

She really does need a very special name!!
default_yes.gif

WOW!!! I really like how that brendled mare looks too! She is gorgeous ! Now thats a mare I would love to have in my herd! Thanks MiniWhinnys for the photo of her! I would'nt mind either one of them and the filly should turn out just as stunning! (besides just her color)

I sure would have liked some stips on my filly in the photo in my avatar as shes roaned with x4 crosses to King Supreme (very up close) That would have been a great surprise to me:)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow that mare of Brass Rings is so striking! Crap now I want one too! Just what I need another color horse I want. Honestly they are so striking I love the brindles.

Lewella thanks for posting the article link. Very informative!

And miniwhinny thanks for posting the additional photo of Brass Rings Mini.

Riverdance can you post a photo of sire and dam please so we get the complete picture???

Riverdance can you post a photo of sire and dam please so we get the complete picture???

I do not have any photos of the dam yet. I was planning on selling her so I want to get her cleaned up and photographed. She is a basic red roan. Below are pictures of the sire.

Windchaserbody1.jpg

Windchaser3.jpg

I will try and get some kind of pictures of the dam, but not today as it is going to be more than HOT!!!

Just had a "brain fart".........Thinking about "counter shading" so often seen on Bay horses. What if that coloring was crossed with JUST THE RIGHT color gene at some point? All of a sudden the "counter shading" (blurry dorsal) would "BLEED" into a BRINDLE.

I'm not into the science of color genetics but more into the "creative" view which is why I'm putting that way.

HOLY MOLY!!!!
default_new_shocked.gif
That is just WILD!
default_new_shocked.gif

If I had clipped a horse to find that underneath the fuzz, I would probably still be laying passed out in the barn! WOW! That is TOTALLY COOL!!!

Just had a "brain fart".........Thinking about "counter shading" so often seen on Bay horses. What if that coloring was crossed with JUST THE RIGHT color gene at some point? All of a sudden the "counter shading" (blurry dorsal) would "BLEED" into a BRINDLE.
I'm not into the science of color genetics but more into the "creative" view which is why I'm putting that way.
MiniV...I'm with you 100% on this one....maybe not Riverdances filly...she's wayyy - brindle - perhaps chimera. But horses like Ozy (who YOU bred lol) ....he has a strong counter shading dorsal AND has the sooty/smutty gene (not tested but obviously has it) that combination has produced some form of brindle in him with strong neck patches and stripes and "trickles" but not like the ones the other two mares posted have.

It's like dun. I've seen duns combined with the sooty/smutty gene throwing WILDLY marked duns vs. even well marked duns without that smutty gene. Duns with stripes up the yahoooo when that smutty is combined in the mix.

Even Dr. Sponenberg - one of the horse worlds leading color genetic experts couldn't explain Ozy's markings. So what you said - to me - is what I feel may be an answer especially as most experts theorize that sooty/smutty is involved in brindle.

Last edited by a moderator:
CONGRATULATIONS!!! What a wonderful surprise/blessing!!! I will look forward to hearing the results of her tests and watching her grow, you are going to have so much fun with this special little girl!!! Thank you for sharing with us!
default_wub.png

Latest posts

Back