A horse coat of a different color. The rarest of rare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe one day we could breed our two and see what we get
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

miniwhinny this is a great idea, of course I am in no way involved but would love to see the outcome of these 2 wonderfully different horses!

This little filly is just adorable
default_wub.png
!!! Congrats Riverdance !!!!
Riverdance's filly is exceptional
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
. There would be a bidding war for sure if she ever came for sale (from me !!!) Ozy's markings are way harder to see because of his color but combine his markings - they are there and in certain light you can really see the stripes running down over his ribs - with what the experts have said and I'm betting he's brindle...sure would be cool to try to pass that on.

I'm also interested to see if any of the 4 brindle mini's that I've heard of can reproduce themselves
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

...and now I'm fascinated by the King Supreme relationship.

WOWZA!!!!! She is stunning
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
Congratulations to you, Riverdance
default_biggrin.png
If I were you, I would hang right on to her!

Miniwhinny-have you ever clipped your Ozzy? I wonder what he would look like underneath!

I have a smutty buckskin roan Komokos Little King Supreme son, wonder if he'll produce this too if to the right mare???? We can only see!

Anyway, I remember the baby photos when you posted them and everyone was saying she was grulla or buckskin... NOW WE KNOW EVERYONE WAS WRONG!!! LOL!!!

She is to pretty, are you planning on keeping her to see how her coloring turns out? (I would) Good luck with her.
default_new_shocked.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Maybe one day we could breed our two and see what we get
default_wink.png
default_wink.png

miniwhinny this is a great idea, of course I am in no way involved but would love to see the outcome of these 2 wonderfully different horses!

This little filly is just adorable
default_wub.png
!!! Congrats Riverdance !!!!
Riverdance's filly is exceptional
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
. There would be a bidding war for sure if she ever came for sale (from me !!!) Ozy's markings are way harder to see because of his color but combine his markings - they are there and in certain light you can really see the stripes running down over his ribs - with what the experts have said and I'm betting he's brindle...sure would be cool to try to pass that on.

I'm also interested to see if any of the 4 brindle mini's that I've heard of can reproduce themselves
default_wub.png
default_wub.png
default_wub.png

...and now I'm fascinated by the King Supreme relationship.

I have a lot of King Supreme granddaughters here, never have I gotten anything even close to this. This is also the 3rd breeding I have done with this mare and stallion. The last two were palominos.(unfortunatly I lost them both, so who knows what was under their baby coats. One had a kink in her neck that paralized her by 4 months old, the other, I missed the birth, mare showed no signs of being ready to foal, next AM there was the dead filly
default_no.gif
)

I did contact AMHA and sent them pictures. The registry does not know what to say or how to register her. To register her as a dun, or buckskin would be so wrong!! I also sent her pictures to the magazine and they told me to send them on to John Eberth, which I did. Waiting for The University of California Davis to open, then I will call them.

Now I need a really good name for her....

Hi, and congratulations on your brindle foal! I

well know your suprise and excitement after that first clip, because I have one also! I have a black roan brindle mare that is now 10 years old and still has all the brindling. Because she is a true roan, there is no brindling on her head and legs, only the black stripes on her body. She is the mare discussed on this forum in 2007, Brass Ring Mistys Irish Lullaby, 29.5". I have not bred her as I stopped breeding several years ago, and also because I only liked to breed larger mares.

Her sire has several crosses to Little Hussler, one of her grandsires is a full brother to King Supreme, but I really do not think that is significant as to the brindling.Her sire has only sired roan foals, but he appears to be of the color of his dam, a silver white, but has so far never sired a grey. His sire was a roan from heavy roan breeding.Lullaby's dam is a solid chestnut from Parrs Little Man breeding.

I showed her in color classes and won quite a few, she has a lot of color points in AMHA, but a few times a judge seemed perplexed as to how to judge her.When freshly clipped the stripes are not as vibrant, but give it a week's time and they pop out.

I will TRY to post pictures.....I am not having luck there, maybe try email.

Anyway, your brindle is so awesome!

To register her as a dun, or buckskin would be so wrong!!
I don't think it is wrong at all. She should be registered as a buckskin (as that is her base color) and in the "markings" area, fill in "with brindle body markings". Then it is all correct. It just like with dogs...the base coat color is always listed in the color description. ie:Fawn Brindle, Black Brindle, Red Brindle etc.

I just found this on one of the brindle web sites:

Brindle is an irregular drippy looking striping or vertical streaking (even on the legs),..... and dun factor markings tend to be regularly spaced. Any of the above coat patterns, as well as "sooty/smutty" striping discussed below, will exhibit coat texturing

Brindling is not the same as the regularly spaced striping seen on some "sooty/smutty" striped horses, and on dun-factor horses. Dun factor horses have horizontal striping on their legs, whereas brindles have vertical striping on their legs. In some cases, a horse might carry both dun factor and brindle, such as the horse pictured below. In these cases I look for striping in the flank (such as seen on the left). Flank striping and a swirl over the hip are common in brindles, but are not usually common in "sooty/smutty" striped horses or in dun factor striped horses.
She definatly has the irregular drippy looking stripes. On her face, legs, whole body and even on her ears.

This is just too cool! WOWZA!!!!!!!

I have seen a herd of MUSTANG horses somethinglike that; they were BLM or something back in Florida. Some where that color or your horsey and others were called something like "calicko" bridle with the colors of black and reddish stripes. Darndest thing I had ever seen.

edited to add: all those pics did not load for me at first and oh my gosh that herd of mustangs i saw didn't have all those colors together like yours and were not that wildly striped either!

Your horse is totally so unique I think its great that you can introduce a new coloration to the mini world! RAH AND CHEERS!!!!!!!! I bet you about fell over when you clipped her!!!!!!!
default_wub.png

Hi, and congratulations on your brindle foal! Iwell know your suprise and excitement after that first clip, because I have one also! I have a black roan brindle mare that is now 10 years old and still has all the brindling.
Oh my gosh ...AWESOME !!! Can't wait to see pictures. I bet there are more out there than you think...especially as the registry doesn't register their color as brindle (got mine registered as a bay) and of course...not everyone reads this board.

I wonder if the difference in the patterns is related to where the brindle comes from (chimera, dun, dun with smutty, smutty etc)

Very cool.

I just contacted the University of California Davis. There is someone there who is researching the brindle pattern. She is out of town this week, but they asked me to e-mail her the pictures and she will get back to me when she can.

I will keep all of you updated.

Miniwhinny-have you ever clipped your Ozzy? I wonder what he would look like underneath!
I clipped him once as a foal (he's 5 now) and all I got was dark gray on gray (you know how bays clip out)

I just 5 minutes ago took this photo of Ozy's shoulders just to show how the brindle goes down his shoulders (if you can see it) It's so hard to photograph when the base color is almost as dark as the stripe color. But if you look carefully you can see the darker dripping going down on the one part of his body thats a lighter color !

ozytoday.jpg

Anyhow I'll just post this last pic because I dont want to hijack this thread. This isn't about Ozy it's about Riverdances filly...sure am interested in seeing what Davis has to say though.

default_biggrin.png

Riverdance, got any Zebra's near you? Any chance she could be a Zorse??
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif
default_new_rofl.gif

Sorry, I had to post that. All this rain is getting to my head and making me nuts!!!

Again, congrats on your beautiful filly!!!

For anyone who hasn't read it this article outlines the most recent research published on brindles and tells the story of the chimera brindle AQHA horses -
http://www.aqha.com/magazines/aqhj/content...einamillion.pdf

Cecilila Pemedo, the person they mentioned in this article, is the person at UCD that I am supposed to get in touch with. This is going to be fun and interesting to see if she is a true brindle or a chimera. Her two coat colors seem to both be dilute. Smokey black and buckskin. She has dilute eyes and the markings are all over as I said before, so I am starting to think she may be a chimera, as this article says a brindle will still have the dark points. She has the drizzel sripes all over her legs face and ears.

Is the dam of the filly the red roan? Because it is interesting that most of the ones mentioned in this thread actually come from roan background.

Very nice filly.

Is the dam of the filly the red roan? Because it is interesting that most of the ones mentioned in this thread actually come from roan background.
Very nice filly.
Yes she is, but from what I am learning, they come more from the smokey/smutty background.

HERE"S another !!!!!!!!!! Brass Rings Mini (mentioned earlier in the thread) asked me to post this and she's having problems posting. This is her brindle mini mare.

BRM...just to mention...your mares stripes are just like Ozys...very heavy on the neck, shoulders and getting less over the back/rear. Have you have her tested for smutty/sooty?

lullaby3redone.jpg

I just contacted the University of California Davis. There is someone there who is researching the brindle pattern. She is out of town this week, but they asked me to e-mail her the pictures and she will get back to me when she can.
I will keep all of you updated.
Okay, you know how no one likes the first Monday back at the office when you've been out the week prior? Well, in this case, I think she's going to be pretty enthusiastic to be "back on the job" when she sees pics of your filly!!!
default_yes.gif
:yes
default_yes.gif

Brass Rings Mini's mare's color is so cool!!! I have a friend who will love seeing her picture, I think. She loves color things and blue roans
default_smile.png
:)
default_smile.png

There is NO TEST for sooty/smutty.

BRM...just to mention...your mares stripes are just like Ozys...very heavy on the neck, shoulders and getting less over the back/rear. Have you have her tested for smutty/sooty?

Latest posts

Back