A horse coat of a different color. The rarest of rare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Riverdance

Reaction score
That is what it is called on the Goggle search that I and a friend just did. A very rare coat color not really seen in too many horses and none that I know of in Miniatures.

When I first showed the pictures to my friend, she said she looked like a Great Dane. So on the computer we go and do the search. Now I am going to register her with a new registry for her coat coloring.

I had posted her picture when she was born and people thought she was a grulla. Well, she has been shaved down and she is NOT a grulla.

The pictures were taken quickly, so I will have to get better photos when I have some help so that you can see her face, legs, sides and back.

I guess I am going to have to change her name to go with her coat coloring.

Introducing my BRINDLE Buckskin Miniature Horse

Riverdances Brindle...(needs to have Wind in the name too)

1-6.jpg

8-2.jpg

15.jpg

3-1.jpg

2-5.jpg

12a.jpg

9a-2.jpg

11a.jpg

10a-2.jpg

These stripes are on her face, her neck her ears, her legs as well as her body. I was beginning to think a Zebra had gotten into my pasture. Dad is Windchaser a buckskin dun (a Komoko Little King Supreme grandson) and her dam is a Komoko Little King Supreme daughter, a red roan.

Last edited by a moderator:
OMG! I have seen photos of a few brindle big horses and loved it. She is stunning! Congrats on getting such a pretty and rare girl.
default_wub.png

She is beautiful! Take good care of that girl, it would be neat to see more brindle in the miniatures. Maybe she'll produce a superstar brindle colt someday!

Thanks for sharing her with us!!!

Lisa

What a neat color!

Now, what will the registries call that when you send the papers & photos in?? I doubt that brindle is on their list of recognized markings?

default_new_shocked.gif
Good Lord, my mouth is down on the desk on the color of your filly......... This needs to be documented somewhere.......

Ma---

My friend had a black mare that showed bridle stripes like that one year, but I don't think she was a true brindle since they went away. They say that brindle in horses are chimeras, meaning 2 horses blended into one, as they have tried for years to breed brindles to get brindles and it has never happened, who knows. Pretty girl , sure is unique

I read an interesting article in the Quarter Horse association's publication about brindle colored horses.

You'd have to DNA, but I think it's a form of Chimera? I don't think it's always a "gene" persay.

But yes, very rare!

Cool!

Andrea

Very neat!!!

I think "miniwhinny" here has a bay brindle horse??? Maybe she will post pics of him. Color is totally different than the one you posted, but the pattern is similar if I remember right.

I am going to contact the University of California Davis tomorrow as well as AMHA and MHW.

This filly is amazing and just so cool !!

Riverdance could you please post photos of her as a newborn foal??

Thanks.

I am going to contact the University of California Davis tomorrow as well as AMHA and MHW.

This filly is amazing and just so cool !!

I think "miniwhinny" here has a bay brindle horse??? Maybe she will post pics of him. Color is totally different than the one you posted, but the pattern is similar if I remember right.
I went on Mini Whinnys web site, they do not have anything that looks like her, just a couple of duns.

I have to say, I have never seen anything like her.

So far, I don't think that brindle is a "gene" that can be bred to be passed on.

Basically, the horse is a result of being a "chimera."

Two non-identical twin fetuses fuse together while they are developing, and half the horse is one genetics, and the other half is another genetics. So if you take hair samples from one part, and samples from another part, they appear to be a whole different horse.

I wish I could remember more from the article. But the color sure is cool!

Andrea

So far, I don't think that brindle is a "gene" that can be bred to be passed on.
Basically, the horse is a result of being a "chimera."

Two non-identical twin fetuses fuse together while they are developing, and half the horse is one genetics, and the other half is another genetics. So if you take hair samples from one part, and samples from another part, they appear to be a whole different horse.

I wish I could remember more from the article. But the color sure is cool!

Andrea
From what I have been able to read so far, there is a brindle horse association and they do have some brindles producing brindles. Examples of brindle mares and stallions and their offspring who are also brindles.

Latest posts

Back