A horse coat of a different color. The rarest of rare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Riverdance, do you have any news from UCdavis about your horse, did you receive testing material yet?

I sent her photos of my brindle roan mare; she acknowledged with excitement that she received them, but did not give any opinions yet as to basic brindle (probably) or chimera. She said she would decide on which tests, but have not heard yet. I guess patience on my part should be in order here!

Last edited by a moderator:
How cool is that? What a beautiful filly and what a beautiful and unusual colour WOW
default_wub.png

Yvonne

Riverdance, do you have any news from UCdavis about your horse, did you receive testing material yet?I sent her photos of my brindle roan mare; she acknowledged with excitement that she received them, but did not give any opinions yet as to basic brindle (probably) or chimera. She said she would decide on which tests, but have not heard yet. I guess patience on my part should be in order here!
Sorry for replying so late. Just got back from a horse show today.

I have been too busy to check the mail today, but Dr. Cecilia Penedo was going to be sending me vials to send blood to her. I also have to send mane and tail hair of each different color. I will send the blood and the hairs at the same time. I really do not expect to get anything from her till perhaps the end of the week. She has called me and we have spoken. (She got the pictures and called). She thinks my filly is a chimera and is excited about it. My filly has so many marbled colors throughout her whole body. Those that have seen her just can not believe her.

It seems the word is getting out, I am getting e-mails from people I do not know who have heard about her. Some as far away as overseas.

The hard part is the waiting to find out.

I haven't read the whole thread so I may have missed this but if she is a chimera...does that mean she can or cannot pass on her coloring?

I hope she can so you can have a whole farm full of "marbles"
default_wub.png

I haven't read the whole thread so I may have missed this but if she is a chimera...does that mean she can or cannot pass on her coloring?
I hope she can so you can have a whole farm full of "marbles"
default_wub.png

I actually would prefer that she was a chimera, then she would be one of a kind.
default_biggrin.png

How can you stand the wait?!! This will be totally exciting! She is lovely, and I agree, the other mare's owner should contact USD also!

What a DNA nightmare, eh?!! LOL, so much for PQ'ing foals out of this type of horse and how wierd that it may match SOME organs, but not all! Wierdest thing I've ever heard!

Wow, what a little rarity you have! Are you going to repeat that cross for 2010? That would be exciting to see another chimera baby!Alyssa
Alyssa,

I could do this breeding a billion more times and never get another chimera. It is not the parents that do it, but the fact that two embryos blended together. It is something that happens once in billions.

I hope she turns out Chimera...but I would hesitate in doing the cross again as you may end up with twins next time instead!
default_no.gif

I hope she turns out Chimera...but I would hesitate in doing the cross again as you may end up with twins next time instead!
default_no.gif

The cross does not give you twins, it would be the mare dropping more than one egg. Which is not unusual for horses to start off with twins, but one just does not make it past the very beginning stages. This mare has been bred to the same sire twice before.

She is 13 years old and has had several foals with no twins.

Well, her foals would match one of her sets of DNA.

Actually, no. There have been a couple of case studies of human chimeras. One, the woman's 3 children did NOT match her DNA. The courts were going to take her kids away from her, because their DNA did not match. She was pregnant with her 4th child and the judge (in the court case to remove her kids from her) had someone be there for the birth of her 4th child and was to take a DNA sample right then and there. That baby also did not match its mothers DNA, but it was witnessed that the child did come out of that mother.

They did find that her chlidren matched some of her brothers DNA. And with further testing, they found her DNA that matched her kids in different organs in her body. Not her reproductive organs though.

This was all on the health channel the other night.

I saw that episode and was Wowed by it!!!I did go out and take a look at my stallion's color and looked him over really hard the other night. He seems to have all the same coloring as your filly but with hardly any stripping (but dose have some). He is a double bred King Supreme son that is a smutty roan and has a dorsal srtip as well. The weird thing about his color is that it's all mixed up through-out his body but has the dark legs. If someone could post a photo for me to show you his uniqe color, I'll show you. Otherwise I am very facinated about this fillys color as she is breathtaking!

It is all just so fascinating and exciting!!

for those of you who have not seen the connection, Marble had surgery a few days ago. See thread brindle/chimera filly.

It was funny to see this post again. I last saw her a week ago and the stripes are vivid. For those of you in Florida, Marbles will be moving there the end of the month! I am sure Sue will find some updated pics for you.

Barb

I was just reading this thread. I can not find the posts where she had surgery. Can someone tell me what happened I was not on this forum at that time. Where in Fl will see be. I would love to see her on my next trip down there if I could

I read an interesting article in the Quarter Horse association's publication about brindle colored horses.

You'd have to DNA, but I think it's a form of Chimera? I don't think it's always a "gene" persay.

But yes, very rare!

Cool!

Andrea

Someone brought a brindle mini to the world show a few years back. It was colored much like yours. That one was in very poor health so I am not even sure it lived especially since she just drug it to the World show just to show people. Yours looks very healthy and correct.

Someone brought a brindle mini to the world show a few years back. It was colored much like yours. That one was in very poor health so I am not even sure it lived especially since she just drug it to the World show just to show people. Yours looks very healthy and correct.
I do believe Marbles was at the Worlds show as a weanling. She was to show, but due to being unwell was scratched from her classes. In 2009 she was titled a Reserve World Champion I believe. Marbles is now 2 and from what I've heard, doing very well!
default_aktion033.gif
Correct me if I am wrong, but I believe she had colic surgery? She certainly is a miraculous filly.

Yes she had colic surgery as a weanling and has not had any problems with colic since then. She is beautiful and healthy now and just loves attention. Sue took her to the Minnesota expo but it was so cold this spring that her stripes were hidden by warm blankets. She will be in North Central Florida close to Lake City. Sue's new Florida phone is on her webpage at Riverdanceminiatures.com.

Barb

It says on their site that she is for sale, if only she was closer I would love to have her.

Latest posts

Back