A horse coat of a different color. The rarest of rare

Miniature Horse Talk Forums

Help Support Miniature Horse Talk Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we have come up with a name for the filly. Leaving Wind out of it because she is so unique.

Riverdances I lost My Marbles

Nice name. She is such a unique filly!
default_aktion033.gif
So is her barn name to be Marble?

Barb

I know a few years ago there were a few other brindle minis that had been posted wheh this topic came up. I can not remember who owned them will keep trying. I am almost positive there was a mare and a stallion and possibly a gelding that was shown

default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
Priceless Filly

I bet she is a KEEPER.

She is FINE FILLY.

I LOVE HER MARKINGS.

i WILL BRED THAT MATCH AGAIN.

i WOULDN'T SELL HER DAM.

yOU CAN SEND HER MY WAY.
default_yes.gif

i LOVE THE NAME.

default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
default_new_shocked.gif
Priceless FillyI bet she is a KEEPER.

She is FINE FILLY.

I LOVE HER MARKINGS.

i WILL BRED THAT MATCH AGAIN.

i WOULDN'T SELL HER DAM.

yOU CAN SEND HER MY WAY.
default_yes.gif

i LOVE THE NAME.

I have done this breeding twice before and got palomino fillies (unfortunatly, lost them both. One had a kink in her neck that made her paralized at 4 months old, the other was born and died the day she was born because I was not there and mom. Mom had almost no bag and so I thought she was not ready, so I did not have her inside, but 3 others I was watching. She was the only one who foaled that night.
default_no.gif

The thing is, I could do that breeding again thousands of times and never get another filly like this one. The genetisit thinks she is the product of two embryos that merged together very early, so she is a blend of the two of them. Kind of like She is her own twin. So one foal had the DNA for one color, and the other had the DNA for another coor, the resulting foal got the colors of both foals, creating the stripes and marbling. Something that is so rare, it would be like one in several million/billion.

Harder to get than winning any lottery. (though of course, I would not have minded winning the lottery!!)
default_laugh.png

Last edited by a moderator:
This is so interesting! I do have a question though...if you should breed her, when she matures, would she still only give one set of genes, or two? Or will she be sterile like a mule? Does anyone know since it is so rare?

Something that is so rare, it would be like one in several million/billion.
Pretty cool that we have two of them right here belonging to Forum members, and possibly have a few of the regular brindles too.

...if you should breed her, when she matures, would she still only give one set of genes, or two? Or will she be sterile like a mule? Does anyone know since it is so rare?
From what I have read, it seems the chimera cannot pass this colour on?
default_unsure.png
That would be too bad.
default_no.gif

I believe that the answer if she is a brindle and chimera (twin combo) she can be bred, but the sexual organs only have one set of the DNA. If she is brindle only, they have possibility of reproducing same, but not guarantees. At least this is what I think I am reading.
default_laugh.png

Barb

This is so interesting! I do have a question though...if you should breed her, when she matures, would she still only give one set of genes, or two? Or will she be sterile like a mule? Does anyone know since it is so rare?

If she is a chimera she will still be able to reproduce, but the DNA of the foal may not match up to her DNA. She could have different DNA in different parts of her organs too.

Something that is so rare, it would be like one in several million/billion.

Pretty cool that we have two of them right here belonging to Forum members, and possibly have a few of the regular brindles too.
I am talking about being a chimera not a brindle. There is not another Mini in the world that is a chimera according to UCD. This is not to say mine is either, but Dr. Penedo is guessing she is, based upon the marbling of different colors in her coat, mane and tail, as well as the brindle markings. The blue roan has similar brindle markings, but is distinctly just two colors with the agouti gene showing strongly in her mane, tail, legs and head. She is a roan with the brindle pattern.

We do not even think mine is a roan as her light color is more a buttermilk buckskin and is not white at all. She does not have strong agouti markings as of now either.

From what I have read, it seems the chimera cannot pass this colour on? That would be too bad
No, a chimera would not be able to pass these markings on. BUT, most TRUE brindle horses have been found to not be able to pass their markings on either. Very few to date have been able to. Again, info from UCD.

Well, her foals would match one of her sets of DNA.

Actually, no. There have been a couple of case studies of human chimeras. One, the woman's 3 children did NOT match her DNA. The courts were going to take her kids away from her, because their DNA did not match. She was pregnant with her 4th child and the judge (in the court case to remove her kids from her) had someone be there for the birth of her 4th child and was to take a DNA sample right then and there. That baby also did not match its mothers DNA, but it was witnessed that the child did come out of that mother.

They did find that her chlidren matched some of her brothers DNA. And with further testing, they found her DNA that matched her kids in different organs in her body. Not her reproductive organs though.

This was all on the health channel the other night.

It is all just so fascinating and exciting!!

I am talking about being a chimera not a brindle. There is not another Mini in the world that is a chimera according to UCD. This is not to say mine is either, but Dr. Penedo is guessing she is, based upon the marbling of different colors in her coat, mane and tail, as well as the brindle markings. The blue roan has similar brindle markings, but is distinctly just two colors with the agouti gene showing strongly in her mane, tail, legs and head. She is a roan with the brindle pattern.
A bay roan would naturally have three colours to it's coat anyways, and a blue roan only two, brindle or not...so I don't see how that can be a sign of which is or isn't?? As a buckskin, she would have three colours naturally as well, so that wouldn't explain it either would it?

If you had her tested for agouti, and cream, that would tell you what colour she isn't, which would be a good start.

Has this Dr. Penedo seen the pictures of the other mare?

A bay roan would naturally have three colours to it's coat anyways, and a blue roan only two, brindle or not...so I don't see how that can be a sign of which is or isn't?? As a buckskin, she would have three colours naturally as well, so that wouldn't explain it either would it?

If you had her tested for agouti, and cream, that would tell you what colour she isn't, which would be a good start.

Has this Dr. Penedo seen the pictures of the other mare?

I do not know if she saw pictures of the other horse. But, if you look at the pictures of my filly, her neck as well as her legs, head, ears are a marble blend of colors. NOT white. A bay roan is black, bay and white as is a buckskin roan. This filly is what seems to be smokey black, bay, buckskin and who knows what else. Her mane alone has 3 different colors and Dr. Penedo wants me to pull all 3 colors as they could show up with different DNA.

How long befor the test results are ready after they are sent in? I hope the other mare gets her testing done too. I certainly hope so...it would be interesting to find they both are the same; or not. After all, it is so rare that the experts aren't even experts.
default_laugh.png

How long befor the test results are ready after they are sent in? I hope the other mare gets her testing done too. I certainly hope so...it would be interesting to find they both are the same; or not. After all, it is so rare that the experts aren't even experts.
default_laugh.png
It will be interesting.

I do not know how long it will take to get the results. They are sending me blood tubes to put the blood in, then I have to get a friend over to take the blood. I have to pull the hairs, all 3 different colors, and send them in too. I expect it will take a few weeks.

As for the other mare, they should contact Dr. Penedo too.

Well, her foals would match one of her sets of DNA.

Actually, no. There have been a couple of case studies of human chimeras. One, the woman's 3 children did NOT match her DNA. The courts were going to take her kids away from her, because their DNA did not match. She was pregnant with her 4th child and the judge (in the court case to remove her kids from her) had someone be there for the birth of her 4th child and was to take a DNA sample right then and there. That baby also did not match its mothers DNA, but it was witnessed that the child did come out of that mother.

They did find that her chlidren matched some of her brothers DNA. And with further testing, they found her DNA that matched her kids in different organs in her body. Not her reproductive organs though.

This was all on the health channel the other night.

It is all just so fascinating and exciting!!
I read about Chimera in my AQHA newsletter (at least I think it was my AQHA one, I get 4-5 different equine newsletters) and there was an article about a mare who's dna wasn't compatible with her foal's when they went to do the parent qualification. After a lot of run around and such, they finally took a different dna sample and that did match the foal. [i think one was blood and one was hair, perhaps it was two different hair samples, I can't remember now.]

Wow, I just had a look in person at this filly. I am traveling to a show this weekend and made a side-trip to Riverdance Miniatures. She is incredible Sue!!
default_aktion033.gif
default_drool5.gif
I have never seen anything like it, on a miniature horse anyways. Even on big horses, I have only seen pictures of them, never in person. She is truly one in a million! Congratulations!

Barb

Whatever the causes, I just cannot wait to see how she does in color class! She is so pretty!

Latest posts

Back